Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I've heard that they're going to kill a dog every short, including one short that's just a dog cam in a city pound where all the characters and victims are dogs, can someone verify???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Magician and Doppelganger were great. Like, they weren't really horror premises, very unconventional for found footage (which Magician broke a bit for the fight but whatever), since the first weird things that happen are not cults, zombies, murderers, or ghosts. They were loving nuts. I like breaks from convention and not knowing where the hell things are going and those are the most what the gently caress was that things I've watched in a long time.

Bonestorm was probably the most VHS of the shorts. I didn't mind the wraparound story.

What was the fourth story supposed to be?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Simon Barrett and Adam Wingard's frame stories are quite underrated, and this new one hurts without them. Although none the shorts here is a total dud - Bonestorm and Dante The Great are actually fantastic, while Parallel Monsters is endearingly doofy - the film doesn't cohere into a whole. It's the difference between a collection of found-footage shorts and a V/H/S movie.

Here's the main trouble: V/H/S and V/H/S/2 were about filmmakers. Diegetically, those were put together by the immortal editors in the frame narrative, giving each film a subtly distinct style. The old man in the first film prefers mostly raw footage, while the kid in the second movie films his own stuff, edits multiple sources together, adds score, and so-on. At the same time, there was this ritual aspect to it. The old man's been in the secret society for a while, while the kid is trying to join, but they have the same system for turning a collection of unrelated tapes into something more powerful. It's like they say in part 2: if you present them in the right sequence, the effect is stronger. They may not have been super-scary, but their nuanced deadpan grounded everything else.

In V/H/S Viral's frame story, the diegetic editor is an omniscient, malevolent AI that just impersonally hates human beings. The AI is not only the editor of the film but the only one who actually watches the footage at all - it's somehow getting a direct live feed from every camera in LA, before anyone gets a chance to upload it. That's a crucial point: the content of the film is irrelevant, or even random. Why does the AI splice in a documentary about a magician? Why not, I guess.

That being said, Bonestorm is the funniest thing I've seen in years.

The joke in Parallel Monsters is that the monster world is really banal, and Monster Alfonso dreams of escaping into a happier life where his wife isn't literally a massive oval office. The real Alfonso, of course, secretly dreams of weird sexual experimentation - and the punchline is that neither one ends up happy achieving their dreams, because they themselves do not change.

The secondary joke-within-a-joke is that the satanic monster world actually is still, despite everything, completely identical to ours.

why is Alfonso from from normal world's wife a "massive" oval office, she seemed a nice wife and all she did was sleep and then fight back against segment's threat.

I mean it was a fantastic short and people who think the twist was stupid are WRONG it's actually awesome, really that IMPROVED the segment for me because before it's like oh yeah satan and cults and stuff yawn, but monster junk is fantastic. If the two alfonso's had compared junk they'd immediately know the two worlds were not alike but why would anyone compare junk it's like the big secret was hiding behind a curtain the background all along but the curtain was their pants anyway that was a great short and I liked it because it was out of left field.

Also Dante the wizard was great gently caress everyone who thinks otherwise. The cheap effects are great because they work not everything has to be michael bay's avengers or joss whedon's transformers or cost a billion dollar, you make me believe a piece of cloth you bought at Big Ben's was evil I'm going to give you some credit there, and who when they go watching a horror movie comes in knowing they're going to see a dope loving WIZARD FIGHT.

I don't see what's so great about Bonestorm. Dumb kids get killed by cult zombies, that's exciting and fresh. The wraparound I liked because I didn't get it entirely and couldn't tell where they were going with it, so if I watch the movies again I'll probably get it and then not like them. Well the parts directly involving Iris and her boyfriend were good. When they took us to some party were we didn't know anyone it was like "why are you introducing new characters we'll only know briefly in the loving wraparound" and then they did it again later.

Also where did we learn the thing was definately a artifical intelligence and its motives and all that and not just some t.v. ghost or something

• Locked thread