Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I mean, I see your point (and in fact that's why I agreed that the frame story was legitimately feminist), but it's hard to forget that the shorts were all more-or-less made in a vacuum once you learn that tidbit.

Maybe, but they aren't presented in a vacuum, they're presented together, and thus are generally going to be interpreted as such. The people who made them may not be feminist - they may be anti-feminist! - but the work they made may still be feminist as presented, depending on how you choose to interpret it.

quote:

I'd rather a movie be good than to pander to some braless, hairy armpit.

Oh you're cute. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Jonny Angel posted:

I, too, am waiting for a bold visionary to step forward and make a sex-negative horror film.

As if "having sex" wasn't one of the leading metaphorical causes of death in horror films already. :v:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I get what you're saying, I'm just not entirely comfortable with looking at stuff like this from that point of view, because in every other context these films are looked at as a collection of shorts rather than as a cohesive whole. This argument really seems like a calculated effort to ignore or gloss over the lovely gender politics of the shorts themselves because none of us want to admit to liking something that promotes misogyny.

Seriously, it's okay. You can like things that are problematic. Nobody will think less of you for it.

I sincerely don't know, I haven't had the pleasure of seeing either movie in its entirety yet. My friend showed me the trailers and then we watched the one with the bike rider who gets zombified but didn't get a chance to finish both films. So I personally cannot attest to how feminist or not the films are. I like the argument that was made in the contrast between unrealistic male fears versus realistic female fears. I also like some of the counterarguments. I just enjoy the conversation going on here, for the most part. :shrug:

• Locked thread