Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Welp, friend's camper got jacked today, while in storage.

Apparently whoever stole it went far enough to remove the gate to the storage lot, and cut off his hitch lock. For a base K-Z Escape... I would guess there's other property missing from the storage place too, that seems like a lot of work to go after a relatively affordable camper. This wasn't a storage lot in BFE either, it's a Public Storage in suburbia.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Welp, friend's camper got jacked today, while in storage.

Apparently whoever stole it went far enough to remove the gate to the storage lot, and cut off his hitch lock. For a base K-Z Escape... I would guess there's other property missing from the storage place too, that seems like a lot of work to go after a relatively affordable camper. This wasn't a storage lot in BFE either, it's a Public Storage in suburbia.

That's hosed up. Someone broke into my TT in a similar suburbia storage lot over the winter, but all they did was pop the window open and leave once they didn't immediately see anything valuable like a TV (ours is a tiny 17" that's mounted out of sight anyway). They were small time, but still knew how to dodge the alarm system and barbed wire of the compound. Who knows how long the window was left open considering it was almost 5 months between it being winterized and going in storage and me going to pick it up in the spring, but thankfully I didn't find any water damage except a tiny bit to the corner of the table closest to the window.

But jesus, completely running off with something that big? Where do the thieves plan on selling something that big and easy to track without getting caught?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's only been 2 or 3 weeks since they last used it, and they had a lot of stuff inside (hand made stuff that they sell at festivals). I don't know if they even had a TV in it to be honest, and the stuff they sell has a pretty niche market.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fryhtaning posted:

That's hosed up. Someone broke into my TT in a similar suburbia storage lot over the winter, but all they did was pop the window open and leave once they didn't immediately see anything valuable like a TV (ours is a tiny 17" that's mounted out of sight anyway). They were small time, but still knew how to dodge the alarm system and barbed wire of the compound. Who knows how long the window was left open considering it was almost 5 months between it being winterized and going in storage and me going to pick it up in the spring, but thankfully I didn't find any water damage except a tiny bit to the corner of the table closest to the window.

But jesus, completely running off with something that big? Where do the thieves plan on selling something that big and easy to track without getting caught?

The vin requirements and tracking are no where near as robust for trailers as they are for regular vehicles. They usually just pop the old vin tag off, put a new one on, and register it with the new vin and then sell it.

Sometimes they just drag them out into the bush to use as hunting shacks. Sometimes they just slap a stolen trailer plate on and get away with using them for a few years before torching them and finding another.

Some dudes here stole a pile of ATVs and trailers over the course of 6 months from a storage yard they had the gate code for. they got caught with a pile of em in the process of being flipped and the cops said a bunch are still out there and registered with fake vin tags.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Welp time to buy a Lo Jack or whatever the equivalent is these days.

I'm guessing no cameras or alarms at that lot then? Our storage lot has cameras all around the perimeter and a unique code for each user that gets logged when used, and an alarm system that activates if any of the perimeter is breached. They've never had any outright thefts thankfully, just the occasional lowlife that tries to break in and steal camper contents.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fryhtaning posted:

I'm guessing no cameras or alarms at that lot then? Our storage lot has cameras all around the perimeter and a unique code for each user that gets logged when used, and an alarm system that activates if any of the perimeter is breached. They've never had any outright thefts thankfully, just the occasional lowlife that tries to break in and steal camper contents.

they had cameras, but it was weeks or months by the time an item was noticed to be missing and if you're stealing a camper, might as well do it with a stolen truck.

Its not hard to figure out somebody's code when consumer point and shoot cameras can read a license plate from half a mile away.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Powershift posted:

they had cameras, but it was weeks or months by the time an item was noticed to be missing and if you're stealing a camper, might as well do it with a stolen truck.

Its not hard to figure out somebody's code when consumer point and shoot cameras can read a license plate from half a mile away.

Reading license plates from video cameras is still not super easy unless the camera is specifically aimed for that.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Attn powershift and others. Are e450 based motorhomes from the mid 2000's a normal 6.0L powerstroke ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Doing some wine tours in Summerland so we pulled the trailer down to Twin Lakes. Air conditioning working hard.

I figure fuel bill will be $600 but that's cheap compared to lovely hotels for $300 per night.

Edit: Gah why doesn't Imgur app let me save a BB code link

http://i.imgur.com/IeDeCFl.jpg

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Click on your picture so it pulls up the direct url (black background with a white share button), and use that share link to stick in bbcode.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

jonathan posted:

Attn powershift and others. Are e450 based motorhomes from the mid 2000's a normal 6.0L powerstroke ?

I think some of them were non intercooled. But I don't think they were any different than any other normal 6.0.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fryhtaning posted:

The cameras were "broken".

They have the same code setup, but I'm not sure that the alarm monitors the drive-through gates; it didn't when I had a storage unit with the same company, and that type of gate is pretty difficult to tie into an alarm without risking tons of false alarms. In this case, they physically removed the gate, supposedly (I'm guessing they just cut the chain and shoved it open instead of removing it).

Also this company made (local) headlines when a poo poo ton of stuff got stolen last year from one location... and they didn't have cameras outside at all at the time. Friend hasn't told me which location it was, but I'm betting it was either this location or one nearby (there's only so many in that city).

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

kenny powerzzz posted:

I think some of them were non intercooled. But I don't think they were any different than any other normal 6.0.

jonathan posted:

a 7.3 could be had real late. I've seen some sold as "2004" models. (the odometer is a give away. digital: 6.0, analog, 7.3) No intercoolers, a fair bit downrated compared to the trucks.
6.0 flavors will have the typical 6.0 problems. They are intercooled. They do not make the same power as the trucks. I vaguely remember bracketry and stuff being different, but it's been a few years since I yelled at one.
No 6.4s in the vans.

6.0 Econolines are a massive whore to work on. Downpipe is easy to get at, that's about where it ends.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Having a non-intercooled turbodiesel seems like a very bad idea to me

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Fleet sales of 7.3s (ambulances, others) didn't end until even later than that. We have some 2006s.

Parts will be available forever.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
LoL so dad ended up getting a early 80's Minnie Winnie on a Dodge for $3000. 80,000km and clean as gently caress.

Gas motor but might do a Cummins or Toyota diesel 3.8L swap in the future.

He's going to trailer it back to GP tomorrow from Calgary.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
So my wife loves her Jeep Liberty and has said time and again that she'll just keep maintaining it till it's time for a new one. I do tons of research and test drives and negotiating and find the gem of an F150 for a tow vehicle.

Last night: "I think when the Liberty dies I will just use the truck"

I guess that is an endorsement.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

jonathan posted:

LoL so dad ended up getting a early 80's Minnie Winnie on a Dodge for $3000. 80,000km and clean as gently caress.

Gas motor but might do a Cummins or Toyota diesel 3.8L swap in the future.

He's going to trailer it back to GP tomorrow from Calgary.

What's the Toyota motor out of?

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler
I'm about to rebuild the side of the roof on my pop up cause the corner (approximately in the red area) is rotten.

Basically some of the caulking on the top went bad and some water got in. The roof and everything outside of the red box is solid, as is the matching opposite side. The challenge is trying to find a piece of wood long enough that's a solid piece, since it's about 12 1/2 feet long and has to be about a foot wide. I thought about just replacing the bad wood but then I'd be risking the structural strength of the roof, which is holding up that heavy rear end a/c unit. I'm open to suggestions about the wood.

At least I can work on it in the garage for the most part so I don't have to bust my rear end to get it done and worry about rain or animals getting inside.

I might gut it this winter and re-do the interior because of the lovely engineered "wood" that has soaked up water like a sponge and is falling apart. My wife, kids, and I use the poo poo out of it so it isn't going to hold up much longer if I don't give it some TLC.

DAT RAM fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 20, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

DAT RAM posted:

I'm about to rebuild the side of the roof on my pop up cause the corner (approximately in the red area) is rotten.

Basically some of the caulking on the top went bad and some water got in. The roof and everything outside of the red box is solid, as is the matching opposite side. The challenge is trying to find a piece of wood long enough that's a solid piece, since it's about 12 1/2 feet long and has to be about a foot wide. I thought about just replacing the bad wood but then I'd be risking the structural strength of the roof, which is holding up that heavy rear end a/c unit. I'm open to suggestions about the wood.

At least I can work on it in the garage for the most part so I don't have to bust my rear end to get it done and worry about rain or animals getting inside.

I might gut it this winter and re-do the interior because of the lovely engineered "wood" that has soaked up water like a sponge and is falling apart. My wife, kids, and I use the poo poo out of it so it isn't going to hold up much longer if I don't give it some TLC.

How thick? And is it solid timber or plywood?

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

cakesmith handyman posted:

How thick? And is it solid timber or plywood?

I haven't ripped it apart to look but I *think* it's plywood. Most of what I've seen from others that do this is that it's plywood or more likely OSB which would explain why it's rotting so bad.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

I might just get ahold of a real lumberyard and see what they have and if it's just a solid plank that I can get maybe they can mill it down.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Of course the goon buys Starcraft :v:

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Of course the goon buys Starcraft :v:

lol

It's a 2007 model I bought in 2011 for $4000 and there were no issues at all. Even now everything still works, just wear and tear starting to show through.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CharlesM posted:

What's the Toyota motor out of?

Probably a W04CT out of a Hino, although you can get entire modern school busses for under 5 grand these days. that gets you engine and transmission

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

DAT RAM posted:

Is that a green '02 Explorer in the background? I swear mine has been haunting me since I traded it in (after 15 years of ownership) a couple months ago :stare:

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

DAT RAM posted:

Basically some of the caulking on the top went bad and some water got in. The roof and everything outside of the red box is solid, as is the matching opposite side. The challenge is trying to find a piece of wood long enough that's a solid piece, since it's about 12 1/2 feet long and has to be about a foot wide.

Buy sheet of 3/4" (or appropriate thickness) plywood, cut two strips of wood wide enough and scarf them together. It's used all the time in boatbuilding, and should be more than sturdy enough for the application.

http://www.boatbuilder.org/godzilliscarfing.htm

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

Probably a W04CT out of a Hino, although you can get entire modern school busses for under 5 grand these days. that gets you engine and transmission

This. The motors are awesome. Have one already and it gets 16mpg in the LOL mobile and you can find rotting Hino FB Turbo delivery trucks rotting in yards all over. The engines never die.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
$3000 Canadian dollars. So loving clean.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Did you have to block to get it to clear the trailer fenders or just drive it up? If the latter I bet it was close!

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Fryhtaning posted:

Is that a green '02 Explorer in the background? I swear mine has been haunting me since I traded it in (after 15 years of ownership) a couple months ago :stare:

Haunting you? Why?
I am selling my 2001 Sport Trac due to the towing rig purchase. Going to miss it dearly as a daily driver.

jonathan posted:

$3000 Canadian dollars. So loving clean.

Wow, that's pretty sweet.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Fog Tripper posted:

Haunting you? Why?
I am selling my 2001 Sport Trac due to the towing rig purchase. Going to miss it dearly as a daily driver.

I had that thing since I graduated college, and it felt like leaving my wife. Well, for the whole 30 minutes until I sat in the front seat of my shiny new truck and heard the sound of that sweet, sexy diesel engine. But ever since then, green '02 Explorers have been haunting/stalking me everywhere I go. I had no idea there were so many of them out there.

It definitely was nice being able to fit into normal parking spaces.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Fryhtaning posted:

I had that thing since I graduated college, and it felt like leaving my wife. Well, for the whole 30 minutes until I sat in the front seat of my shiny new truck and heard the sound of that sweet, sexy diesel engine. But ever since then, green '02 Explorers have been haunting/stalking me everywhere I go. I had no idea there were so many of them out there.

It definitely was nice being able to fit into normal parking spaces.

I feel for you. I've had mine since it was a baby. Will really be hard to let it go and am actually considering selling my 2006 Rubicon instead.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Since getting rid of the white 98 Explorer (timing chain guides shattered), samesies. They're everywhere! Why did Ford make so many LL Bean editions?!

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
My wife has an aversion to bunks in a trailer and says her parents were told they could not be removed without effecting the structural integrity of the trailer. That said this was when they were looking decades ago.

Anyone familiar with the possibility of removal?
This is the one we are looking at this evening:
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2011-Cruiser-Rv-Corp-SHADOW-CRUISER-260BHS-122566005

I'd be cool with converting it to an outdoor kitchen area.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fog Tripper posted:

My wife has an aversion to bunks in a trailer and says her parents were told they could not be removed without effecting the structural integrity of the trailer. That said this was when they were looking decades ago.

Anyone familiar with the possibility of removal?
This is the one we are looking at this evening:
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2011-Cruiser-Rv-Corp-SHADOW-CRUISER-260BHS-122566005

I'd be cool with converting it to an outdoor kitchen area.

My trailer has almost the exact same layout. Those bunks are just bracketed in and usually have a warning to not exceed 200lbs. They don't offer much if anything in rigidity for the structure. A slide out grill and a flush mounted beer fridge would go well in there, and extra closet space on the rear.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Fryhtaning posted:

No, it's a late 00's Expedition.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Buy sheet of 3/4" (or appropriate thickness) plywood, cut two strips of wood wide enough and scarf them together. It's used all the time in boatbuilding, and should be more than sturdy enough for the application.

http://www.boatbuilder.org/godzilliscarfing.htm

I had someone else suggest doing this and I'm going to give it a shot.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

jonathan posted:

My trailer has almost the exact same layout. Those bunks are just bracketed in and usually have a warning to not exceed 200lbs. They don't offer much if anything in rigidity for the structure. A slide out grill and a flush mounted beer fridge would go well in there, and extra closet space on the rear.

Thanks, that's what I thought.

A question about pricing used trailers. I am shopping around for various models/layouts and stuff. When I go to the NADA page it has a list of options to choose from. That said, if a model has a slideout by virtue of the model, should I also count the slideout as an added "option" when working up the NADA pricing?

Here is what I am looking at, which has a king bed slideout by virtue of, well that is the whole selling point of the model (not an option). However the used dealer has it added on as an option. Basically I have no idea what is the base model features and what are "options" in regard to NADA.

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2010/Rockwood/M-2102W/4113625
http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2010/Rockwood/M-2102W/4113625/Floorplan

digger_smolkin
Feb 23, 2007

Any Problem Solved

Is A New Problem Made
Does anycamper here have any experience with tankless propane water heaters? I need to replace the 6 gal Atwood in my slide-in, and have been hearing less-than-stellar things about their reliability. Drop-in replacements are in the $600 range and I see the wall-mounted ones at about $150.
I am not afraid to hack a wall-mount in if it saves :10bux: .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Getting burnt out on researching. I did a bunch of pricing, test driving and negotiating to get the new/used F150 as tow vehicle. There is a threshold in things like this where if you spend $X more, it opens up some fantastic options. Well since I went "over budget" on the truck by a few thousand, she is telling me we should "stick to our budget" of $11k for the trailer. Even though that surely means that we will regret the purchase due to weight of the trailer, smallness of the bed (I am 6'5"), older components, more potential issues, more used stench, etc.

The Windjammer I posted above hits all of the things I was hoping for, and is only 6 years old: King sized bed, comparatively huge bathroom (at opposite end from bed area), a really comfortable weight to tow, great reviews, etc. I really really REALLY don't want to purchase something that I will be uncomfortable using and towing.

• Locked thread