Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

quote:

Morrslieb, the evil moon, shines down over the walls of the slumbering castle. A lone creak resounds through the air as the front gates are drawn open.

Suddenly, screams fill the night as the hordes of Chaos rampage through the city. Huge red daemons brandishing massive hellblades tear through the streets cutting down everyone they find in the name of Khorne. As the daemons reach the inner gate, they are beset by a massive vulture-headed creature! The minions of the two rival powers clash in the streets, stomping on the helpless peasants underfoot. The count sends his mightiest knights forth to do combat with the forces of Chaos, but they are no match for the daemons arrayed against him. The city will fall, but which power will claim it?

What?

Welcome to a PbF game of Chaos in the Old world.

In this game 4-5 players will take the up mantle of the Chaos Gods in the Warhammer universe, all vying to be the one who ruins the Old World once and for all. If you haven't heard of Warhammer, thinking of them as the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse (and a huge, deformed Rat, with the expansion) laying waste to Medieval NotEurope would more or less work. It's worker placement with demons and "take that" cards.

The four (or five) gods are pretty different from each other, in powers, objectives and design philosophy: Khorne wins by killing other god's stuff and being VERY ANGRY, Slaanesh needs to be present in places with high ranking humans (nobles and heroes), Nurgle loves high density areas because they makes diseases spread faster and the Horned Rat just swarms the board with, appropriately, rats. Tzeentch is just a dick.

Resources

Basic rules are here and the rules for the expansion are here. The rules for the expansion are basically two paragraphs, so don't worry about having to get through a lot of stuff if you're new.

While there is a Vassal module, the expansion is not included and the map can get pretty crowded with pieces (like the boardgame itself, good job there), so we'll be using a map from BGG:

Recruiting

I'm looking for 4 or five players who can check the thread at least once a day. If we have enough interest we'll add the Horned Rat and vote on whether or not to include the rest of the expansion stuff. If we don't have four players we're not playing because this game must have four players, at least.

New players are welcome, no PMs necessary. We'll be using http://handtracker.heroku.com/ to handle cards. Signing up is pretty not-intrusive, just pick a name and a password.

To sign up, please reply with Blood for the blood god or some variation thereof, because I'm literally ten and find it funny. Recruitment open for at least 24 hours.

:siren:Board State:siren:

Latest "official" Board post is here.

And some helpful things.

Dial ticks

Khorne gets one Dial Advancement Counter each time he kills one or more figures in a Region
Nurgle gets one DAC when he places 2 Corruption tokens in a Populous Region in a single Phase.
Tzeentch gets one DAC when he places 2 Corruption tokens in a Region with a Warpstone token or a magic symbol.
Slaanesh gets one DAC when he places 2 Corruption tokens in a Region with a Noble or Hero token.
Horned Rat gets one DAC when he Dominates a region with a Skaven token.

Gods Cheat sheets

Khorne
Nurgle
Tzeentch
Slaanesh
Horned Rat

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
You know what sure I see people posting about in in the board game thread why not give it a shot.

Blond for the Blonde God

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
I'm in! Looks Bond for the Blonde God.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

I don't think I'm a bad enough dude to play two internet games of Chaos at the same time, but it'll be fun watching this thread to see how another game goes. Have fun guys!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'll give it a go, but not sober. Bud for the Bud God!

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Bugs for the Bug God!

This'll be my first time, so please be gentle.

MetricUnit
Jan 2, 2005
I had fun the one time I played, though it was the base game so Ticks for the Tick God!

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

I'd like to put my name in the hat. I've got the game and expansion at home, but I haven't gotten to play it in a while. Blood for the Blood God!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Who needs to read rules when I've got Rats for the Rat God!

(I'll read them fully later since I've never played this game; just wanted to log my interest.)

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I'll probably write a small premier for each of the gods intended for completely new players. I'm not a good player by any stretch of the imagination, so take it as you will.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

I think "be a total dick to the other gods" should pretty much cover all the important points :unsmigghh:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

The Supreme Court posted:

I think "be a total dick to the other gods" should pretty much cover all the important points :unsmigghh:

Were playing the literal personifications of chaos and ruin (and a giant rat) that's a given.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Signups are closed. Sorry to anyone who didn't get in - I will probably run another game after this if there's still interest, and I'll give you a call if someone drops.

Anyway, our players are Rumda, The Supreme Court, Alris, MetricUnit and Green Intern

I'm going to need a couple of things before we start this for real:

a) Please sign up at http://handtracker.heroku.com/ and post me your username, so I can add you to the game and give deck permissions.
b) Do you want to add the expansion stuff? The Horned Rat obviously can only play with the powers and upgrades off the expansion, but the base Chaos Powers can either use the base cards or the expansion set. The sets are balanced against each other, so all players have to agree on either older or newer set.
c) The expansion adds some new cards to the Old Deck. They are way harder on the Chaos Powers than the normal stuff and general consensus seems to be that they make the game more swingy. I've played both with and without them, and prefer the game without them, but it's your call.
d) Do you want to play a particular god? Or do you want random god selection?

I'm taking the base game/random god selection as the default, in case we cannot reach an agreement in any of the questions above.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Get ready!
Handtracker name is the same as here.

No preference when it comes to the other stuff as it's all new to me anyway.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Base game with random gods is what I'd prefer. If we're going for picks, I'd definitely go for Tzeentch.

Hand tracker name is the same as my username here. Thanks for letting me play!

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 19, 2014

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Well I'd prefer the base card set and random gods, Handtracker name is same as here

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Handtracker name is GreenIntern.

I'm a total newbie at this game, but it sounds like Expansion Stuff, but without the New Old Deck Cards is a decent selection that isn't too random/swingy?

If I was going to pick a god I'd go for Horned Rat, because swarming the land with horrible adorable ratties sounds like fun. Random gods is definitely more fair, though, if there are conflicting preferences, etc. I'm just excited to play! I'll be reading through the rules tomorrow.

MetricUnit
Jan 2, 2005
Signed up using MetricUnit. No preference on which set we use, random gods sounds good for me.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

It seems we're going Random Gods, which was strongly preferred, and Basic powers and upgrades, on which there was little preference, but which I prefere because it means that I'll be slightly less likely to mess things up. Let me roll some dice:

- Khorne: Green Intern
- Nurgle: Alris
- Tzeentch: Rumda
- Slaanesh: The Supreme Court
- Horned Rat: MetricUnit

I'll be posting updated maps as often as I can, but both to help me and the other players, try to post your moves in a format similar to this:

pre:
Playing Bloodletter in Norsca

Khorne (Green Intern)
Power: 5/7
Cards in hand: 4
Cards in Deck: 14
Cultists: 2/4
Warriors: 4/6
Greater Daemon: 0/1
Threat: 28
Upgrades: Cultists, +1 Power

Norsca:
Tokens: Peasant
Corruption: 4 Nurgle, 2 Tzeentch, 1 Slaanesh
Units: 3 Tzeentch Cultist, 3 Slaanesh Cultist, 1 Khorne Warrior
Card Slot 1: Battle Cry
Card Slot 2: Changer of Ways
All of you should have access to your respective deck in the handtracker. Try to draw five cards to your hand so we can sort out any problems before we start.

I'm going to be out of town until Thursday, because my boss is psychic and likes to wreck my plans, so first "real" post will be Thursday night (GMT time). In the meantime I'll write a small strategy blurb for each god so you can SHOUT LIKE A MADMAN play to you strenghts if you're completely new.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Draws for the Card God! Decks for the Deck Throne!

5 Cards drawn. I'm already seeing hideous synergy in my victory conditions/cards!

Is there any way to set it so we can select how many we will draw? I don't know how often we'll be drawing large numbers of cards, but it's a little obnoxious to click draw, return to the main page, and repeat for each card.

Also, no problem on the Thursday/Friday start date.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Green Intern posted:

Draws for the Card God! Decks for the Deck Throne!

5 Cards drawn. I'm already seeing hideous synergy in my victory conditions/cards!

Is there any way to set it so we can select how many we will draw? I don't know how often we'll be drawing large numbers of cards, but it's a little obnoxious to click draw, return to the main page, and repeat for each card.

Also, no problem on the Thursday/Friday start date.

Judging from the power sheets the rest of you will be drawing two each turn while I'll be drawing to five. Also Fat Samurai you've put Tzeentch's deck in twice.

Edit here is a link to the powers sheets if any one wants them http://boardgamegeek.com/file/download/7vqkw57hz1/Citow_Power_Sheets_v2.doc

Rumda fucked around with this message at 12:38 on May 20, 2014

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Cards drawn, I'm ready to make all of you explode with jealousy. Thurs/Fri start is fine with me.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Thanks for the sheets!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Rumda posted:

Judging from the power sheets the rest of you will be drawing two each turn while I'll be drawing to five. Also Fat Samurai you've put Tzeentch's deck in twice.

Both of these statements are correct. Fixed.

Khorne has some stuff to help him draw faster, but in general it's two per turn.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Get ready!

Cards are drawn, gonna study the rules for Thursday!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Now I'm confused. Should I have 5 cards or 2 cards? How can I reset my deck if it's the latter?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Green Intern posted:

Now I'm confused. Should I have 5 cards or 2 cards? How can I reset my deck if it's the latter?

Everyone starts the game with 5 cards, at the end of each turn, draw two more. Tzeentch, being the god of magic and change, can discard and draw up to 5 each time.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Fat Samurai posted:

Everyone starts the game with 5 cards, at the end of each turn, draw two more. Tzeentch, being the god of magic and change, can discard and draw up to 5 each time.

Until I upgrade at least

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

That's not going to happen :black101:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Alright. I was feeling a bit dense this morning, apparently.

I look forward to greasing my threat dial with the blood of my enemies.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Reading through the rules today, I noticed this particular Game End condition. If any Old World cards remain face down in their deck when the game ends (presumably from someone rushing VP or Threat?) then everybody loses.

So that's a pretty great way to discourage runaway players, I guess.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Green Intern posted:

Reading through the rules today, I noticed this particular Game End condition. If any Old World cards remain face down in their deck when the game ends (presumably from someone rushing VP or Threat?) then everybody loses.

So that's a pretty great way to discourage runaway players, I guess.
Wait, what? Where in the rules does it say that? The only time Old World cards have anything to do with the game ending is if you run out of them, in which case everyone loses. You can win the game at any point if you meet one of the victory conditions.

Anyway, pretty interested to see where this goes. I love me some Chaos.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Wait, what? Where in the rules does it say that? The only time Old World cards have anything to do with the game ending is if you run out of them, in which case everyone loses. You can win the game at any point if you meet one of the victory conditions.
Which means that delaying players so that everyone loses if you have no chance of winning is valid. And thematic.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Anyway, pretty interested to see where this goes. I love me some Chaos.

Once again, I misunderstand something (although I think it could have been stated clearer) :(
This is from the final page of the core rules:

pre:
Game End Conditions

First, check the Threat dials. If any player’s dial shows 
“Victory!,” that player wins. (Ties broken by victory points.)

Second, check for 50 victory points. If any player has 
50+ victory points, that player wins. (Ties broken by Threat.)

Third, check whether five regions are ruined. If this is 
true, the player with the most victory points wins.

Finally, check whether any cards remain facedown in 
the old world deck. If not, all players lose.
So yes, I was wrong. If the Old World Deck is empty, we all lose. It states this far more clearly on page 22 (The game ends if the Old World card deck is empty). Khorne doesn't need reading comprehension!:black101:

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 20, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Ok, we're up. I messed up (already) and forgot that Tzeentch could discard 1 card before drawing up to five, but I don't think it's going to matter much. Rumda, it's all right to discard one of your cards and draw a replacement if you want.

Anyway, game's officially UP!

I've set up the board and drawn the first card of the Old World Deck:

quote:

The Crusade Is Come - Place one Peasant token in each of two different regions. Then place one Hero token in each of two different regions. Then place one Noble token in each of two different regions. - Discard this card instead of adding it to the Old World track.

As the player with the lowest Threat, Metric Unit get's to place that stuff.

Have a map of the board after set up:

I'd recommend to any new players to take a look at the other god's powers, and think about how the other players are more likely to win, either via VP (which usually mean cheap figures, easy ways of getting dominations or expanding corruption) or Dial (easy ways to double tick or a short track). I don't have a list for the expansion, but the rat has a lot of cards that give him advantages in dominated regions (such as moving his troops for free, or giving them extra defence or making it more expensive to drop enemy figures there) or ways to move skaven tokens around.

MetricUnit, tell me where do you want your tokens

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

And we're off! Looking forwards to a good game taking control of everyone's troops and making them dance.

MetricUnit
Jan 2, 2005
Oh god I don't know what I'm doing

##Place 1 Peasant in the Empire and 1 in Estalia (I have no idea what peasants do besides get killed in fights?)
##1 Hero in the Border Princes, 1 in Kislev
##1 Noble in the Badlands, 1 in The Empire

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

MetricUnit posted:

Oh god I don't know what I'm doing

Quick and dirty Chaos for Dummies post. This is highly opinionated and probably wrong, so I'd suggest you head to the Game Thread for better tips. We have another game going on in here, so you can see the Gods in action.

Spoilered just in case you want to figure stuff up yourself:

Khorne

You should focus on dial advancing. Your advance condition is the easiest of the bunch, with your 2 attack warriors and some cards that do direct damage. In the early turns you're basically untouchable, as most of the players will be deploying cultists while you put down warriors.

That said, playing Khorne requires a little more subtlety than expected: You're going first, have very few delaying options and your opening moves usually cost you twice than those of your opponents. That means that, more often than not, you’re committing way earlier than the other players. This may lead to players GTFO as soon as you arrive in a region.

Another thing: you’re the police in this game. Stomping on a single player repeatedly (Nurgle is tempting) will lead to any of the other three to run away with the game. Make sure everyone is paying Khorne’s tax and spread the love as much as possible.

Guessing where people must be, or playing some cards that hinder movement are two of your options. If everything fails, you have six warriors to plop down, and that gives you pretty good coverage.

If you’re doing well, the Old World deck will be against you.

Nurgle

You won’t win by dial. You have plenty of miniatures and cards geared towards domination, so swarming valuable regions with a green wave is kinda what you do. Delaying ruination so you can squeeze more points out of a valuable region may be helpful sometimes.

Your main weakness is that every other player will know where you’re going to go. Those 3 populous provinces are your bread and butter, and you lack Slaanesh’s defense or Tzeench’s magic, so you’re the easiest target for Khorne. On the other hand, while your warriors are crappy they cost the least of the game, so don’t be afraid to drop a few of them in order to make Khorne (or other players) pay, or disrupt a Dial Advancement opportunity.

Tzeentch

I’m even worse at this than the other gods, so not much help here. You can win both via VP and Dial Advancement, and you’re usually considered an annoyance rather than a direct threat, which means you can do your own thing and not be bothered much. Your game is board manipulation, both regions and players.

You have the most cultists, so potentially you have the biggest corruption score, and can create your own ticking opportunities with magic symbols, as long as you can prevent other people from punching you in the face.

Your hand is the best, both because your discard ability and the card themselves. Teleport can give Khorne fits, your Dispel can give everyone else fits and there is no better way to stop people bothering you than Field of Stasis.

Combat should be a last resort, and deploying your Great Demon is quite often a Bad Move.

Slaanesh

You depend a lot of board state, because up until you get some defenses your chances of dial advancement are limited (usually only 2 regions, one for each noble, and even after that you only have 6 cultists). That Old World deck was pretty lucky for you, though.

Slaanesh can win both via points or dial (you have the shortest dial win, only 7 moves). You can claim turf relatively easy, with DEF 2 warriors and upgradable cultists. On the other hand, the game will force you to move quite often, as noble or hero tokens in Ruined regions are worth exactly squat. Try to predict what region will be ruined and use your cards to move the tokens you’re interested in away from it.

While you’re not Tzeentch, you have a couple of dick moves in your hand: Taking control of a cultist at the right moment or preventing combat in a region can prevent or give you a Dial Advancement, a ruination or a domination. Going last helps a lot with this, but generally Tzeentch has more delaying opportunities.

Unlike Tzeentch and Nurgle, if you’re doing well, it shows, so expect to be the target of Khorne, Tzeentch and the Old World deck.

Horned Rat

Again, little to say here. You have the luxury of choosing which regions are valuable to you, via Empty the Warren cards, and have quite a lot delaying cards and plenty of cultists, so you can choose where to focus your efforts late in the turn.

If the other players let you gather your pieces you can start piling up dominations and ruinations using your mass of rats AND mobility cards that let you move stuff around very cheaply. Focusing on lower value regions where no other player is interested can give you cheap ticks, or force players to spend resources to stop you.

In the other game we’re playing, Corbeau has managed (with some help from the Old World deck) to cover the world with Skaven tokens by turn 3, which gives him plenty of opportunities.

General stuff:

- Playing a card in the first spot of a region is a dangerous move, because Tzeentch can remove it on a whim.
- Playing it on the second available space, however, makes it a very stable (or at least predictable) region.
- Letting Khorne run rampant will win him the game. Sometimes is better to stay and fight so he has to pay 2 power to put back his warrior, which is paper-thin anyway.
- Delaying important decisions by playing low cost cards or cultists is vital. Don’t throw them away just because they are 0 value, though.
- You can take a figure from the map and redeploy it in an adjacent region, even if you haven’t got any other figures nearby. The figure that you’ve just removed still counts as having a figure in the original region.
- For most players (not Nurgle, don’t know about the rat), the cultist upgrade is very good.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 10:47 on May 23, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Green Intern, your turn. It would help me if your post format was something like this:

pre:
Playing Bloodletter in Norsca

Khorne (Green Intern)
Power: 5/7
Cards in hand: 4
Cards in Deck: 14
Cultists: 2/4
Warriors: 4/6
Greater Daemon: 0/1
Threat: 28
Upgrades: Cultists, +1 Power

Norsca: