Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
Race canceled: http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3255311.page

I still get to run it in a league tomorrow, so yay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

Still not as cringeworty as when the announcers say I hopes hes alright after a crash.

I wish they would just acknowledge they're playing drat internet racecars already. Anything else is obscenely stupid.

Maybe the announcer is watching through an oculus and thinks it's real.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Lord Crapulus posted:

Race canceled: http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3255311.page

I still get to run it in a league tomorrow, so yay?

people gettin pissed up in there.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I had to skip it this year for actual racing. So that's a get out for me. If they schedule it for a time I can do I'm in.

Burn the Priest
Apr 20, 2010

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

Still not as cringeworty as when the announcers say I hopes hes alright after a crash.
PSRTV is such garbage, all of the announcers try to pretend the race is happening in real life and the stream is always laggy as hell.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Had a great night last night, some rear end in a top hat thought that it was a good idea to do a brake check going to green on both starts.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
2nd in the OB Indy 500. Thought I had something for the leader on the last lap, then brushed the wall coming out of T1. DAMMIT.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I've started going down the rabbit hole of learning car setups. I think I may have gone too far when I start reading books with diagrams like:

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 08:10 on May 25, 2014

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Tried IndyFixed tonight and got Hinchcliffed. Coming down the back into T3, someone decided to make it 3 wide and of course they had no talent to hold their line. He hit me, I spun up and hit the driver on the outside. 3 laps in. So much for getting any IMS races.

For folks running Indycars at Richmond this week, be prepared to short shift on all starts and restarts. First gear is super dicey, and even in second you'll want to shift up around the 1st or 2nd rpm light.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
$6 credit for everybody who bought the DW12 before the Indy 500

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Nice move by iRacing, that officially brings the cost of the DW12 for me down to $2.95. :D

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Got mine when I logged in this morning. Pretty sweet.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Unofficial iRacing Indy 500 is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4KGvkVzHuY

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well my G27 is coming tomorrow, pretty excited. And with being on Charlotte this week, shouldn't be too hard to get my SR up to the D class this week. I've gotten pretty skilled at avoiding incidents with a controller but it's hard to make small adjustments in turns and on the straight aways, which have caused wall rubs and collisions with other people :(

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Well I finally finished painting my Pink GoDaddy DW12 this afternoon, but Trading Paints hasn't finished processing the PSD file so I can't use it yet :argh:

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008
So whats the best way of trying this thing out? Just go for the 1 month subscription?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Mordieth posted:

So whats the best way of trying this thing out? Just go for the 1 month subscription?

They usually have a buy 3 months for the price of 1 deal.

It will auto sign you up for 3 month renewals. So make sure you opt out in your account settings so you dont get hit by it if you forget to unsub and dont like it.

If you do like it enough don't sub too far in advance and wait for black Friday 49 for the year deal.

If you wouldn't mind using me for a referral email I'd appreciate.
Scrod21 at the Google mail.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 28, 2014

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008
they seem to have a half price for new users promo going, its pretty close though. think I'm gonna try that out

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

They are doing a 3 for 1 special right now. It's a promo to help the car iRacing is sponsoring. I'm on my phone right now but in a few I'll be back to my computer and post the link.

Edit: http://www.iracing.com/Josh-Wise-promo/

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mordieth posted:

they seem to have a half price for new users promo going, its pretty close though. think I'm gonna try that out

Do it! The thread is fill with people bitching but it's still really fun. :3:

tater_salad posted:

If you wouldn't mind using me for a referral email I'd appreciate.
Scrod21 at the Google mail.

Games > iRacing: brother can you spare a referral?

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

jabro posted:

They are doing a 3 for 1 special right now. It's a promo to help the car iRacing is sponsoring. I'm on my phone right now but in a few I'll be back to my computer and post the link.

Edit: http://www.iracing.com/Josh-Wise-promo/

I'm an idiot with money so I'm starting to buy oval content despite being awful at ovals.

Which Sprint Car should I buy?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

MisterZimbu posted:

I'm an idiot with money so I'm starting to buy oval content despite being awful at ovals.

Which Sprint Car should I buy?

If you want to do the Carburetor Cup, which is non-points racing that rotates between Talledega, Daytona, and Charlotte every week, get whichever Gen6 car manufacturer you like. Other than that you won't use it unless it's in Hosted races or when you get your C license. You can get your C license in ovals pretty easily by racing the Legends until D and then Legends and Super Stock until C. If you're close to a license change and don't want to chance a race killing your rating grind some Time Trials to get the last tenths of points and wait out the week. While waiting play Carb Cup, which doesn't hurt or help your rating, or play around in the Mazda road series. Turning right can be therapeutic sometimes.

If you want some hot short track NASCAR action at D get the Chevrolet National Impala and whatever track they are running that week. They tend to use a lot of the free tracks so it will save you some money. The league can be dead nights at Pacific time. I usually play after 7-8PM PDT and couldn't get a race that counted last week. Sucks because it was at Bristol. This is week is Thompson Intl. which is a free track.

For anyone new try to plan your purchases so you buy at least 6 things at a time. You get a 20% discount when you do this. You could only want 2 or 3 things but look at what you might want to do in the future. Buy it now since it will save you in the long run. Popular things for ovals: Truck, DW12, Indy track, Skip Barber car for Goon League, and any NASCAR track that is part of the Sprint Cup if you plan on running the races at C+.

jabro fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 28, 2014

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

LordPants posted:

Do it! The thread is fill with people bitching but it's still really fun. :3:

Games > iRacing: brother can you spare a referral?

Hey man I'm on a budget, 10bux gets me most of a new track.

Run rookie ovals at Charlotte and focus on clean driving not winning once you get your safety rating up to 3.0 you can go to legends which are stupid fun. In legends you can do pretty well with the setups on the legends forum.

short track racing: (not Charlotte that's hammer down all the way) learn when to get on and off the gas. Tapping the brakes in the street stocks is asking to turn the car into a snow plow.
Start by entering the cprner off the gas then ease on around mid corner (once the car turns down into the corner well) then ease the gas back to full like there's a foam ball under the pedal. Just nailing the gas will cause you to be very tail happy.

Once you can run some clean laps in practice using that technique then you can start to play with when you let off the gas and get back on and how the car feels.

I'd say hold off on buying too much until you get out of rookies since it all runs on the free stuff and you can't go higher anyway. You can even try road and oval to sew what you like

Be for you buy a series check the forums here and on iracing to see how populated the series is, some may not go official unless it's prime time or weekend.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

tater_salad posted:

Be for you buy a series check the forums here and on iracing to see how populated the series is, some may not go official unless it's prime time or weekend.

I'm kind of interested in more information on this actually (and how series work in general). But how do you determine if a series is populated enough to run official races on a regular basis (my understanding is that 8 cars are required for a race to go official).

I'm also confused with how a series actually works and I've found it hard to find that information on Iracings website. I know each week is a different track but do you only get 1 race per week on the track to count toward the series? I really have no idea how series actually work.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Each series runs for 12 weeks in a championship-style format with a few exceptions (the NASCAR iRacing Series goes the full year and so does the Road Warrior series), and the 'week' switches at 8pm est on Mondays to the next track in the schedule. You can race as much as you like in any series you have a license for. As far as the points structure goes, you can race an event four times and the championship standings will use your highest finish to determine the points (above that, it's an average of the best two for five to eight races). If you're not concerned about championship points, then don't worry about all that stuff.

Under the series icon on the top left header on the main page, you can click 'Results' and look at all the races for the week. If it's populated, you'll see numerous races that have happened. (Or if you race the Lotus 49 it's mostly empty and nobody participates). There's a column to say whether or not it's official. If a series has low participation, there's usually an agreed-upon time and day for the best races, and you can guesstimate those on the results pages or by looking in the forum for that car/series.

L_Harrison fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 28, 2014

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm on my phone right now and don't want to dig around for links but the iracing forums announcements thread has a stickied thread with weekly stats. I'm not sure what the baseline is for a decently populated series, In d class would be the national impala series so you can kind of base off of that.

You can race as many times as you want and it'll count as long as there are 8 racers in the session. The larger series Will have splits that classify each driver to a split by irating.

Each series has a track it races at for the week.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

jabro posted:

If you want to do the Carburetor Cup, which is non-points racing that rotates between Talledega, Daytona, and Charlotte every week, get whichever Gen6 car manufacturer you like. Other than that you won't use it unless it's in Hosted races or when you get your C license. You can get your C license in ovals pretty easily by racing the Legends until D and then Legends and Super Stock until C. If you're close to a license change and don't want to chance a race killing your rating grind some Time Trials to get the last tenths of points and wait out the week. While waiting play Carb Cup, which doesn't hurt or help your rating, or play around in the Mazda road series. Turning right can be therapeutic sometimes.

If you want some hot short track NASCAR action at D get the Chevrolet National Impala and whatever track they are running that week. They tend to use a lot of the free tracks so it will save you some money. The league can be dead nights at Pacific time. I usually play after 7-8PM PDT and couldn't get a race that counted last week. Sucks because it was at Bristol. This is week is Thompson Intl. which is a free track.

For anyone new try to plan your purchases so you buy at least 6 things at a time. You get a 20% discount when you do this. You could only want 2 or 3 things but look at what you might want to do in the future. Buy it now since it will save you in the long run. Popular things for ovals: Truck, DW12, Indy track, Skip Barber car for Goon League, and any NASCAR track that is part of the Sprint Cup if you plan on running the races at C+.

Guess I should've been more specific - I'm A-class road (somehow) and C-class oval already and have the Truck. Was looking specifically for a sprint car so I'd have the option of doing some Nascar C class events.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I'm kind of interested in more information on this actually (and how series work in general). But how do you determine if a series is populated enough to run official races on a regular basis (my understanding is that 8 cars are required for a race to go official).

I'm also confused with how a series actually works and I've found it hard to find that information on Iracings website. I know each week is a different track but do you only get 1 race per week on the track to count toward the series? I really have no idea how series actually work.

You can practice as much as you want in a series, it won't count towards your SR. You can also qualify as many times as you want; your best qualifying time will last through the entire week and will apply to every race. You can also race as many times as you want per week. Your top 25% races of the week, averaged together, are what counts towards your championship points. At the end of a season (12 weeks), your worst 4 weeks are dropped.

If you race once and get 100 points, you get 100 points for the week.
So if you race 4 times and get 100/50/30/30 points, you get 100 points for the week (other 3 scores are dropped).
However if you race 5 times and get 100/50/30/30/10 points, you get 75 points for the week (bottom 3 scores dropped, top two are averaged)

There are also special series (NASCAR for Oval and Road Warrior series for Road) that run year-long and only run 4 races per week. In these, only your best score for the week counts.

Generally I've gauged participation by pulling up the series homepage and clicking on "Results"; you can see all the prior sessions and how many cars ran in each class, and get a feel for when races will typically go official.

In general, these series are almost always official (* means usually multiple splits, ** means it has a lot of splits):

Oval:
(R**) Street Stock Rookies
(R) Legends Cup
(D*) Late Model Series
(C**) Trucks (fixed setup)
(C*) Indycar Oval (fixed)

Road:
(R**) Mazda Cup
(D*) Skip Barber
(D) iRacing Spec Racer Ford Challenge
(D) iRacing Grand Touring Cup MC
(C*) Star Mazda Championship
(B**) GT3 Challenge

MisterZimbu fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 28, 2014

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Thanks for the list. Looks like I'll probably be looking into the Late Model and the Skip Barber series as my starter oval and road series then!

Also, assuming I can keep away from the clowns, I should have only 4 or 5 races rookie races on Charlotte before I can start taking on the legends races (assuming I keep get +.12 for getting 0 inc points). The last race I ran I accidently missed the grid and pretty much only saw a handful of cars the whole race (they were mostly in the wall).

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Starting from the pit is the best way to avoid issues

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

tater_salad posted:

Starting from the pit is the best way to avoid issues

For road races, 95% of the time if you don't qualify, start from the pits.

Also here's my Pink GoDaddy DW12:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

KingShibby posted:

This is the best way to avoid first corner hero's. What most folks in both road and ovals don't understand is that the races are x laps.. where X is >3.
Everyone wants to win on the first lap but it's much safer for all involved if you get your rhythm going, let the cars stretch a bit and start passing. No need to race super hard and make risky moves on the 5th lap of a 45 lap race. You take yourself and the other driver out as well as probaly 3-4 in collateral damage. Follow and look for an opportunity to pass cleanly instead of dive bombing, or forcing a driver out of their line. If it's the last 5 laps then make the move.

It also helps to know how the cars will react at different corners and know when it's good to pass and when it's bad. Making it 3 wide at texas is asking for trouble, especially turns 1&2 where the truck is more of a paint shaker than race car. Or Darlington where the bump in the track mid-corner will make the car jump right a touch.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

KingShibby posted:

Also here's my Pink GoDaddy DW12:

:colbert:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

For the record I'm still working on my :smugdog: DW12

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
From May 27th to June 30th you can join iRacing for 3 months for 12 dollars with the code: PR-JoshWise98

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Cojawfee posted:

From May 27th to June 30th you can join iRacing for 3 months for 12 dollars with the code: PR-JoshWise98

Son of a bitch I just renewed yesterday. I was like "maybe I should wait in case a promo comes along... nahhhh."

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well I did it, I made the D class after a week of rookie driving.

I also dropped $70bux on 5 speedways and 2 cars that will allow me to complete the rest of the season in the national series and I will be able to compete in the next 5 weeks of the Late Model series!

Really a fun little hobby.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

The rear end Stooge posted:

Son of a bitch I just renewed yesterday. I was like "maybe I should wait in case a promo comes along... nahhhh."

You can try sending an email to support to try and get the promo applied. I don't know if they'll do it but they're generally pretty helpful if you ask them nicely.

e: I missed that it was a renewal so that probably won't work.

Dynamite Dog fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 29, 2014

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The rear end Stooge posted:

I don't think that renewal is covered by the promotion.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
GT3 is a fun series full of close, clean racing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

My goal is to get my SR above C3.0 next week when Star Mazda is on the Charlotte Oval, but not so I can run GT3. I gotta get up to B Road so I can do DW12 road next season!

• Locked thread