Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

:frogsiren:ALL GOON NNIDs CAN BE FOUND HERE!:frogsiren:

So you bought a Wii U and you're not sure what to do with it? Well hey, why not play a few games with goons! Mario Kart 8 is coming out in two weeks and Super Smash Bros 4 is due later this year, but there's already a bunch of cool games currently available for online play. Zombi U, Monster Hunter 3, Dr. Luigi, Sonic & Sega Transformed, the list goes on!

But if you want to play with goons, you have to find some first!

With the Wii U, Nintendo introduced a new system for keeping track of all your friends: the Nintendo Network ID! Gone are the days of randomized friend codes and having to add your friends on each individual game seperately. It's now easier than ever to add your buddies to your friend list, so get to it!

How do I create a Nintendo Network ID?

When you first turn on your Wii U, you are asked to make an account and create a Mii to represent it. You are also asked to make a Nintendo Network ID at the same time, but this optional. No worries though, you can go back and create an NNID any time!

Here are the steps:
  1. From the Wii U's main menu look at your Mii in the upper-left corner.

1. If your Mii is surrounded by a blue square that means you've already made an NNID in the past, silly!
    2. If your Mii is surrounded by a transparent square you still need to make an NNID.

2. Select your Mii in the upper-left corner. This will take you to the user select screen.
  3. On the user select screen click on the button that says 'User Settings' underneath your Mii.
  4. Go to 'View/Modify User Information' and then 'Link a Nintendo Network ID'.
  5. On the next screen select 'Create a New ID'
  6. Follow the on-screen instructions from here on out.
Congratulations, you are now qualified to play games on the internet! :toot:

Where can I find my Nintendo Network ID?

So you've made an NNID in the past but can't remember exactly what it was? That's okay, we're all a little forgetful sometimes. Thankfully, the Wii U is a good friend who never forgets!

From the Wii U's main menu or from the HOME Menu, click on the orange smiley face. This will take you to your Friend List. All the way at the top of your Friend List you will see yourself listed in a seperate block from your friends. To the right of your Mii and your Mii's name you will see your NNID listed in orange text.

How do I add people to my Friend List?

The best way to add friends this is, counter-intuitively enough, through Miiverse. Select the icon of three green figures from the Wii U main screen or the HOME menu to go to the Miiverse. From there, select the 'User Menu' in the upper-left corner and then select 'Search Users' from the menu that pops up. Search for the NNID of the person you're looking for and, once you've found the right one, select 'view profile'. Here, you will see a 'Friend Request' button in the upper-right corner. Select it and then follow the on-screen instructions to send a friend request.

You can also send friend requests from your Friend List, but whoever you send these to will not be notified of this until they open their own Friend List. Simply press the + button on your gamepad from the main Friend List screen. This will take you to a friend request screen. Once again, follow the on-screen instructions to send a friend request.

:ducksiren:THE GOON LIST:ducksiren:

So now that you're all set, it's time to add some goons to your Friend List! You can find them all in the spreadsheet in the link above! Be sure to put your own SA username, NNID, timezone and games you want to play online at the bottom of the spreadsheet first, though. Otherwise, future people who read this thread won't know you want to play video games with them!

:siren: If you're ever looking to round some people up to play a specific game online, feel free to post in this thread! :siren:

That is all. Let's-a-go!

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Reserved for future use(?)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Google Doc says you need permission to access.

Also you should mention how to add friends through the Miiverse. Much more convenient than through the friend list, and the other person even gets a notification that they've been added!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

Google Doc says you need permission to access.

Also you should mention how to add friends through the Miiverse. Much more convenient than through the friend list, and the other person even gets a notification that they've been added!

Oops, I can't believe I forgot about that. It's public now! :downs:

I actually never knew about adding friends through Miiverse until just today, but I didn't think it was that much more convenient than adding friends through your Friend List so I didn't bother adding it to the OP at first. It's in there now, though!

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
While I really like the idea of a games list, I can't help but feel that having everyone add the name of each game they have to a row become very hard to deal with as the number of games that actually have online grows (I've already shortened the names of two of the games on my own list). Giving each game a column and having a given person mark it with an X or whatever in their row doesn't sound too great, either, though....

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Solid OP JordanKai. My personal opinion is change Games to Wii U / 3DS / Both? If you've only got a Wii U there is no point in adding the 3DS people, and vice versa. And besides, we're dumb Goons...we like all the same Nintendo crap any ways.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah, all I have right now is a 3DS but I only have two friends, can I get in on this?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Absolutely - there's a link in the OP to the Google Docs...just add yourself there and put a message in the thread indicating you've done so...should help to keep this page updated and allow people who have already put their name in the doc to go back and add people after them.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Cool thread.
You will see me playing a lot of MK8 and Smash Bros when they're out, be sure to add my NNID (TakaM-NZ) if you want me to show you my moves.

Gonna go add more goons to my friendlist..

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is it possible to change your NNID username without the process being a total pain in the rear end, or changing the name that's displayed in other people's games/on other people's friend lists? I goofed during the account creation process and named my nickname what I wanted my username to be, and that as something else or whatever.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Added all goons to this point. Wii Fit U will give you access to me turning into a thinner goon.
swaggart

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Kirios posted:

Solid OP JordanKai. My personal opinion is change Games to Wii U / 3DS / Both? If you've only got a Wii U there is no point in adding the 3DS people, and vice versa. And besides, we're dumb Goons...we like all the same Nintendo crap any ways.

Well, here's a weird thing. The 3DS has the Miiverse, but it doesn't use Nintendo Network for its friend list. It still has friend codes, albeit for the entire system and not for individual games. You can't even add friends through the Miiverse on the 3DS. You can only "follow" them. I don't think the distinction is necessary.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Well that's really stupid of them. Why haven't they converted them to NNIDs by now? Friend codes need to gently caress off forever.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Kirios posted:

And besides, we're dumb Goons...we like all the same Nintendo crap any ways.

You say that but I don't see anyone else on that list who owns the best Wii U multiplayer game: Dr. Luigi. <:mad:>

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

JordanKai posted:

You say that but I don't see anyone else on that list who owns the best Wii U multiplayer game: Dr. Luigi. <:mad:>

I love Dr. Mario so much, I would be this close to buying Dr. Luigi if I wasn't this much closer to buying Scram Kitty. I'd like to finish at least one of the games I already have before I grab a new one, though.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I got a Wii U only recently and I've already bought a LOT of games for it. Dr. Luigi's going to have to wait for a price cut.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I have never for the life of me been able to get into Dr Mario, no matter how hard I try. Hell, I prefer Yoshi over Dr Mario.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 21, 2014

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Why yes I do know you don't have to be case sensitive when entering those.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Mario Kart 8 is out in two days! Get yourself added to the list before you get left in the (cheeto and Mountain Dew ridden) goon dust!

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Awesome thread, thanks!
Do you have to friend people on the 3ds seperately from the WiiU or does Miiverse take care of that?
kungfuowl

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
The Wii U and 3DS friends lists are entirely separate, unfortunately (maybe fortunately if you bloat the crap out of one of them). Until further notice, you're stuck usin' Friend Codes for the 3DS.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Hey I just added myself to this list as RadWack.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Added myself as Bobnumerotres. Look forward to racing some goons. Make sure to check out the private game servers for the community.

kevin mung
Jul 15, 2013

by Shine
Added me as kevinmung, lets play mario kart and have a really good time together. OK peace.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Added myself as MercuryCrusader in preparation of Smashing some future Bros. and Marioing some right now Karts.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Added to the list, looking forward to finally making use out of my gaming machine

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Added as Whaddageek and I shall crush you all beneath my tyres in Mario Kart 8 :toughguy:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Added as Whaddageek and I shall crush you all beneath my tyres in Mario Kart 8 :toughguy:

You have your Miiverse friend invites turned off. Turn that poo poo on!

Also all ya folks can feel free to add me for Mario Kart action! (And SSB, down the line.) I'm in the spreadsheet: Silver_Falcon

sp00nman
May 14, 2004

All this Christmas spirit is gives me a raging boner!
Added myself sp00nman to the spreadsheet.

Emuticus
Jan 23, 2013
Added myself as Emuticus to the sheet. I currently only have a WiiU and MH3U, but I'm more than willing to play!

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Added myself.

Canned Panda fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 19, 2015

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Added myself! NNID: Quidnose

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Added myself to the spreadsheet now. NNID: FolttheBolt

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Added myself, NNID: catcaves, real into MK8

zelah fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 14, 2014

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Added myself to the list! NNID: Niemat

Adding goons like crazy to my friend list, so let's play some MK8!

EDIT: Is there a limit to how many friends you can have on the Wii U like there is on the 3DS?

EDIT 2: Derf. Looks like I can have 100 when I look at my Friends through miiverse.

Niemat fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 16, 2014

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Hello friends please add me for MK8 racings: Louisgod

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Added myself Vonlinus.

I play MK8, but very badly. Very Very Badly.

Strenots
Jun 21, 2005

'Course it's a good idea!

Just picked up a Wii U for MK8. Often paired with a guest while playing to add to the numbers. Adding a bunch of people as we speak: Strenots

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Picked a Wii U up last week for MK8, added myself to the list: BadParenting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Picked up a Wii U the other day. I've been playing a lot of Zelda and MK8. Looking to acquire MH3U soon too. Added myself (Hektar) to the list.

• Locked thread