Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It's too bad you couldn't drop the roof down and get a flat roof all over. It would have been the most effective solution I think. It's how our own house is made, with 500mm of glass wool insulation in the attic.

Insulation is key though, you are right about that, keeps heat in, and out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
The single pane windows are probably gonna be letting heat in and out too, also if they aren't sealed then air will move through as well. We're currently building a house in Finland and so we are extremely focused on insulation, 300mm in the walls + air spaces and layering and the roof insulation on top of that. Doors and windows have been pressure tested to check for leaks with an IR camera. Windows are also 3-pane with vacuum or argon between one sealed layer.

This way we'll keep heating costs down at winter when it can get down below -30C and cool in the summer when it can sometimes hit +30C. I think the same applies in california except for you it means the AC won't have to work as hard.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

tarzanspuma posted:

Trust me, the ceiling was in pretty terrible shape when I got the place; it wasn't amazing but one of the worst aspects of the house. The original owners' must have been heavy smokers, as there was some terrible dark staining of the interior ceiling... the garage was noticeably lighting in color, but it was still pretty dark. It just made house feel really cramped and depressed... I researched maybe trying to have the wood sandblasted to bring back a more natural color, but time and money didn't really permit. The cheapest option was to paint it all white and I'm glad we did. Felt like the ceiling moved up 12 inches and brightened the place considerably.

I've been to similar houses as mine where they had the high roofs, usually in some wooden color, they always felt smaller to me than places with flat but white roofs. So that's what we did, roof set at 2.5 meters or almost 20 inches and in white MDF. Roof is lower but the house feels bigger. Also less volume to heat up and less heat that escapes upward.

That might make a high roof more suitable for californian climate though, the heat rises up and away from you. Maybe a suction fan near the top of the roof to vent the hottest air outside in the evenings and bring in cooler air from the ground outside, that along with insulating the roof might make things alot nicer. I dunno though I just made this idea up.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Zhentar posted:

That's called a "whole house fan" (or sometimes "attic fan").

Cool, do they actually work?

• Locked thread