Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
movax
Aug 30, 2008

Propaganda Bob posted:

Oh boy, where to start?

When I got it, it one working brake- the passengers side disk, which worked so well in fact that it never stopped engaging at all. Hard braking (or any sort of braking at all really) would cause the car to violently pull to the right. The passenger rear drum was also stuck engaged, but the previous owner had decided that instead of fixing it, he should pack the drum with grease so the wheel would spin freely. This had the side effect of making the parking brake worthless. The fuel line had been replaced with a braided steel line at some point, which was not anchored to anything. If you looked under the car you could see it swaying happily about an inch from the ground. The aftermarket steering wheel had been mounted incorrectly so that you could do a full quarter turn of wheel in either direction without turning the car. The steering was further compromised by the skinny drag wheels mounted by the PO. It simply could not go around a corner.

The Mustang started life as an EFI car, but was converted to a carb at some point. The EFI wiring harness wasn't removed or disconnected in any way, leaving a bunch of live uninsulated wires dangling in the engine bay shorting on anything they came in contact with. If you made the mistake of driving in the rain, onlookers could watch sparks fly out the bottom of the car. The distributor had a cast iron gear against a steel roller cam. When the cam gear finally ate the distributor, the engine backfired through the carb, setting the air cleaner on fire.

The suspension was completely blown. The rear shocks could be easily compressed by hand, and wouldn't return even under no load at all. The control arms were the original stamped steel ones and were badly worn. The lowers had one poly bushing in them and one rubber bushing (???). The rubber bushings were so rotted all that was left was a little slip of rubber surrounding the sleeve. The sway bar was missing two of its four bolts. One lug nut was missing, and all of the lug nuts were mismatched. It leaked oil from the valve covers and ran so rich if you stood behind it you could feel flecks of unburnt gas on your ankles being spit out the exhaust. It would also belch flames from the exhaust pretty regularly (which I actually kind of miss, to be honest). The seat belts did not work, and there are no safety features of any kind anywhere- no air bags, no crumple zones, and no ABS. It also has solid motor mounts so the engine will shake loose every bolt on the car not loctited in (and some that are, given time).

And it makes about 400 rwhp.

Holy gently caress that sounds terrifying.

i must drive it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
What happened to that guy with the Cobra? We all told him he'd die in it then he stopped posting lol

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

VikingSkull posted:

What happened to that guy with the Cobra? We all told him he'd die in it then he stopped posting lol

Well its obvious. He's dead.

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!

movax posted:

Holy gently caress that sounds terrifying.

i must drive it

I've fixed most of the glaring problems since I got it, but yeah.

The electrical problem was actually so severe the battery wouldn't keep a charge overnight. I didn't realize what it was because the previous owner had zip-tied the offending wires under the frame rail and I didn't think to Scooby Doo around every corner of the engine bay- just assumed it was the alternator. A buddy of mine just happened to have a spare alternator that would work, so one night I jump it off and hop in. It was raining a little, and the shorts combined with the water making its way into the engine bay drained the battery faster than the alternator (which as it turns out worked perfectly fine) could charge it. This culminated in the battery running dry and the car shutting off. At 50 mph, at night, on an unlit road, in the rain. That was the first time it tried to kill me. Not the last.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Propaganda Bob posted:

That was the first time it tried to kill me. Not the last.

You should start a car stories thread because that is a fantastic teaser. :suspense:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Is that a picture of Dear Leader on your roof?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

InterceptorV8 posted:

Is that a picture of Dear Leader on your roof?

The Marshal should always have his picture displayed with respect.

:tito:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

My C10 is fairly scary. Just south of 300hp, all drum non powered brakes, original suspension from 67 and I think the cab and bed are only flying in close formation with the frame. Also no seat belts and the gas tank is right behind my seat. Who wants to go for a ride? :getin:

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
There's no way it was the scariest car in AI, but my first car was a pretty scary car. I don't have any pictures of it unless you want to see it wrecked, it was that ugly. A 1998 Purple ford contour v6 with severe body damage from multiple accidents, given to me by my blind grandfather. The purple penetrator.

It was a pretty scary car. Just the act of getting into the car made it pretty apparent that this ride could be your last. You could spot the body damage from a mile away, but the clearest sign was the shrieks the car doors would make as you opened them, as if they were possessed by ghosts from the Ford factory, giving you a solemn warning to turn back in a forgotten language.

If you were dumb enough to get in, the first thing you'll probably notice is that the "oh-poo poo" handles were all ripped in half. This wasn't done intentionally, the ride was just that scary. And it wasn't my driving.

First of all, it knocked a LOT. And when I say knock, I mean it's like a 9.0 earthquake would kick in if it was coasting around 2.5k or so. The motor was ANGRY, chewing up whatever parts I put in it and spitting them back out. It was truly hosed beyond being worth fixing. But it drove.

I didn't really care a whole lot about this car, so I did a lot of dumb things in it. It's been off roading a few times, down a lot of trails, it's taken a few big jumps, some big enough that I have no idea how I didn't blow the strut towers or anything for that matter, I had no problem driving up/over curbs and burrs, etc. One of these times, I picked a particularly tall burr, and it never stopped leaking brake fluid since. I replaced the lines and that didn't fix it, didn't care enough to investigate further.

From this point on, when the brakes worked, it was mostly just the front passenger side brake, which worked at full force. Braking hard could spin you out, even on dry pavement. Oh I was also a poor college student at the time so of course I was driving it on stupidly bald all-seasons. My job at the time required showing up on snow days, which was anus clenching to say the least, as I lived on a huge hill.

Trust me, I know better now. I maintain my cars and I'd never subject other drivers to having to be around that piece of poo poo ever again. One good thing I can say about it: It was very reliable and it never broke down on me once. Never left me stranded. It basically got to that point because I decided "I'm going to run it until it dies" and that just never happened. I put over 30k miles on it running this way, including a few road trips and such.

The interior smelled like bananas.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 30, 2014

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
This t-shirt made me think of this thread: http://www.shotdeadinthehead.com/fast-enough-t-shirt.html

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

That shirt is awesome.
The only car I've ever driven that had me feeling that way was a tuned 997 GT2 we got in on trade. I took it for a pre repair test drive and was surprised when I gave it about 3/4 throttle in third at 80 and the tires broke loose as soon as it boosted. Unfettered by the warning I nailed it again at 110mph in forth gear and was rewarded with absolutely massive wheel spin and a distinct yaw to port. I stuck to the speed limit for the rest of the drive happy that what passes for traction control kept us out of the weeds.
When I was done with it I told my shop foreman I was busy and that he should drive it for me.

I bet someone who isn't used to driving my Ranger would think it's scary. It's got about 2 inches of steering play, wobbly suspension and the brakes pull to whatever side it feels like at the time. It also loves to follow rain grooves in the freeway which makes things interesting in rush hour traffic at 80.
I'm so used to it now that it's just 'truck' and not really a bother at all.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Not my car, but one of my parents' friends back in the 70s used to drive a real shitheap (I think it was a Volvo) where the car would violently swerve hard right if he let go of the wheel.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bugdrvr posted:

That shirt is awesome.
The only car I've ever driven that had me feeling that way was a tuned 997 GT2 we got in on trade.

And that's close to what Walter Rorhl was talking about in that quote. He said that about the Carerra GT when he was test driving it in preproduction for the factory.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
So I've had the wheels come off a NA and SN95 I've been driving. My friend Rich had all four come off of his AE86 on the highway. Pretty fun when that happens!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
What happened to the rusty t bird guy that had his wife grinding rust? Did she murder him for wasting all her time and money?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

All four? How the hell does that happen? Finger tight then forget to torque them?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Usually. Sometimes, though, the answer is "wrong pitch lug nuts", like this classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7KDNfgTnBo

Threads engage just enough to snug up, but shear off as soon as the car turns hard.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Who's the guy here with the turbo EF Civic hatch? That would be the scariest to me because EF's disintegrate in accidents, just imagine 14"s Civic with 300hp and it's not much better.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

leica posted:

Who's the guy here with the turbo EF Civic hatch? That would be the scariest to me because EF's disintegrate in accidents, just imagine 14"s Civic with 300hp and it's not much better.

Accidents? Last I read he was swapping the powertrain into an EG because the EF was shaking itself apart around him from the vibrations.

E: Like, literally, the seat rail fasteners were working loose and some of the spot welds had started cracking.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Exactly. EF's are great and fun cars but they are death traps, after seeing a EF CRX turned into a pile of scrap metal by an Isuzu Rodeo I was glad I sold my Civic. Can't imagine an EG is that much better, but IIRC he was talking about putting a cage in it which is probably a very good idea.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

All four? How the hell does that happen? Finger tight then forget to torque them?

Having too many people work on a car and one of them "test fitting" wheels.

doogle
May 24, 2003

leica posted:

That would be me, the EF was falling apart due to rust and solid motor mounts so I bought an EG hatch to swap everything over to. Before I pulled the motor I took it back to the dyno with slicks to get the final tune and it made 429whp/272wtq at 1755lbs with a full tank of gas. I put street tires on it and ran a 12.5@127 spinning all the way down the track, it never hooked even in 5th gear. It doesn't stay still either, it floats side to side throughout the entire run.

Now I have an all new valvetrain (10k rpm! New cams so it spools faster too.) and I'm trying to figure out how to run AC in the car (turbo is so big it would hit the compressor). Progress is slow because it is hot as gently caress, but once it is done I'll update the build thread.

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I drive a Cobalt with keys on a keyring and it's cut off on me twice so far.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011
Paging AI-poster "Blood Magnet".

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

doogle posted:

That would be me, the EF was falling apart due to rust and solid motor mounts so I bought an EG hatch to swap everything over to. Before I pulled the motor I took it back to the dyno with slicks to get the final tune and it made 429whp/272wtq at 1755lbs with a full tank of gas. I put street tires on it and ran a 12.5@127 spinning all the way down the track, it never hooked even in 5th gear. It doesn't stay still either, it floats side to side throughout the entire run.

Now I have an all new valvetrain (10k rpm! New cams so it spools faster too.) and I'm trying to figure out how to run AC in the car (turbo is so big it would hit the compressor). Progress is slow because it is hot as gently caress, but once it is done I'll update the build thread.

I'll be honest, your car was exactly what I was thinking of when I posted this topic.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

doogle posted:

I have to ask... what engine, transmission, and upgrades in the transmission are you running? Stock mainshaft? Trying to figure out what the realistic real-world used parts torque limit on B series transmissions, specifically the 3rd and 4th gearsets and synchro parts, is.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Any car that has a catastrophic hydraulic brake failure is suddenly the scariest car.

Anyone else have the pleasure of this?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

SouthLAnd posted:

Any car that has a catastrophic hydraulic brake failure is suddenly the scariest car.

Yup, at a T intersection. I was coming off the side road, and the main road is very busy. Whizzed right through the stop sign in a four wheel drift, I have no idea why the road was empty or how I didn't die.

Scared the gently caress out of me.

doogle
May 24, 2003

kastein posted:

I have to ask... what engine, transmission, and upgrades in the transmission are you running? Stock mainshaft? Trying to figure out what the realistic real-world used parts torque limit on B series transmissions, specifically the 3rd and 4th gearsets and synchro parts, is.

It is a B18a1 with 84mm sleeves, stock LS crank, forged rods/pistons, all ARP hardware, full GSC valvetrain in a Type R head (LS/VTEC 2.0 liter). The transmission is a B16 hydro trans with Type R gears, synchrotech carbon lined brass synchros, an M factory LSD, and a competition clutch stage 5 sprung. For the power level that I am making now, a stock b18c1 or b18c5 (GSR or Type R) could have worked, but I wanted it to be at least somewhat reliable. Plus, I could just go out and buy a bigger turbo and make way more power without changing anything except maybe the clutch.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

SouthLAnd posted:

Yup. In my 96 XJ... introduced me to a guardrail, and thus to wrenching and bodywork. Thanks, jeep :smith:
Then in the 91 MJ... with the previous owner driving. Fortunately it was on a fuckaround drive through a cratered dirt road and all that happened was we hit a giant pothole way faster than intended.
Again in the 98 XJ... again, happened offroad.

I wised up and replaced ALL the lines on the 88 MJ when one of them was damaged by removing the rusty gas tank.

Reminds me, "check your loving brake lines dumbass" needs to go on my pre-registration checklist for the 5 ton because NO WAY IN HELL do I want that thing going brakeless at any point. I think it may even have single circuit brakes :stonk:

doogle posted:

It is a B18a1 with 84mm sleeves, stock LS crank, forged rods/pistons, all ARP hardware, full GSC valvetrain in a Type R head (LS/VTEC 2.0 liter). The transmission is a B16 hydro trans with Type R gears, synchrotech carbon lined brass synchros, an M factory LSD, and a competition clutch stage 5 sprung. For the power level that I am making now, a stock b18c1 or b18c5 (GSR or Type R) could have worked, but I wanted it to be at least somewhat reliable. Plus, I could just go out and buy a bigger turbo and make way more power without changing anything except maybe the clutch.

Thanks a ton, I just picked up a 94-01 GSR transmission to stress test those components from and have actually already looked at using the 3-4 synchros/synchro cones/hub/sleeve from SynchroTech and M Factory. Glad to hear they hold up to what you and CaliforniaDad (found his thread on H-T) put through them, because it means they should have a very satisfactory safety factor for what they'll see in this application.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

SouthLAnd posted:

Yep. Master cylinder going out when approaching a roundabout. Fun times.

Also, ABS systems throwing a fit and deciding to shut off one of your front calipers, that's good for a laugh, too.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

SouthLAnd posted:

Also. Was going down a hill in traffic in my lovely '98 Durango. Got on the brakes lightly ... there was a metallic pop from under the hood, then whump! brake pedal on the floorboard.

Managed to not run anyone over due to the truck's excellent engine braking in first then standing on the parking brake.

Post-mortem revealed that the OEM master cylinder split in half and had basically fallen off the firewall. WTF, Dodge.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?

SouthLAnd posted:

On two seperate occasions, plus one partial failure. Four drums+ plus single unit Master Cylinder + high rate of speed = instantaneous and overwhelming threat of death.

63 Impala gives no fucks about your life. That's the worst though; knowing the whole time the brakes have failed that I am riding in a tin can/ steel coffin at 80 MPH downhill through a red light.

Thankfully, that car had a Powerglide 2 speed transmission, so dropping it in neutral achieved a relatively quick engine brake (tall first gear and no lock up clutch) and it could be placed in reverse at low speed to cause a stop.

11BulletCatcher fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 4, 2014

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

SouthLAnd posted:

Yes, a Dodge Caravan at 110km/h. That stupid floor mounted parking brake has one thing going for it: you can stand on it with two feet while deciding if you should throw yourself out the window instead of dying in a fireball.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
^^ Try a fully loaded chevy venture with 7 people in it at this location, going NW: https://www.google.com/maps/place/46%B012%2752.8%22N+113%B016%2745.1%22W/@46.214679,-113.279182,3223m

I made the executive decision to turn left across the dam, which may well have saved my life (at this point I was braking with the mostly-toast ebrake pedal which did nothing until you stood on it and then locked the rears up.)

Bonus GM failure: when we got the car back from the dealer who fixed the brakes after this debacle, the service guy told us he hadn't fixed the ebrake because it "wasn't worth it, plus your normal brakes are good now!" :downs:

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 10, 2014

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

kastein posted:

Reminds me, "check your loving brake lines dumbass" needs to go on my pre-registration checklist for the 5 ton because NO WAY IN HELL do I want that thing going brakeless at any point. I think it may even have single circuit brakes :stonk:

At least on that big bitch you should have air hand brake right? at least you wont have any issues getting the rears to lock up in an emergency with THAT.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Ferremit posted:

At least on that big bitch you should have air hand brake right? at least you wont have any issues getting the rears to lock up in an emergency with THAT.

Air over hydro brakes, exactly like vac over hydro but boosted the other way. So... nope :stare:

I need to check the service manual and crawl under it to check if it is single or dual circuit and inspect the lines.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

SouthLAnd posted:

Twice! Once with the '71 Nova I mentioned earlier, and once when the '84 Crown Vic blew a soft line. The Vic was much easier to deal with; I just went roundabout through the neighborhood for the two blocks from work to home so I could keep it under 20, instead of getting on the main road.

With the Nova, it happened on the highway at 70.

11BulletCatcher posted:

Thankfully, that car had a Powerglide 2 speed transmission, so dropping it in neutral achieved a relatively quick engine brake (tall first gear and no lock up clutch) and it could be placed in reverse at low speed to cause a stop.
I never could get the leaky wheel cylinder off the Nova -- the bolts were seized and the heads rusted round, and it was so worn that replacing the seals in situ didn't help -- so topped off the brake fluid weekly and got really good at using the Powerglide for braking like that.

I don't know why they bother putting rear brakes on cars, they don't do poo poo -- both cars had split master cylinders, so the rears still worked, but you couldn't tell from driving without front brakes.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Bad brakes, no wipers, no windows, no horn, no interior <friend sat on back seat shorting the battery /fire>, no inside door handles, no glove box, more fires, no parking brake, no tail light, no deck lid, no...

My daily driver is a

oh and my door wont stay closed

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Delivery McGee posted:

Twice! Once with the '71 Nova I mentioned earlier, and once when the '84 Crown Vic blew a soft line. The Vic was much easier to deal with; I just went roundabout through the neighborhood for the two blocks from work to home so I could keep it under 20, instead of getting on the main road.

With the Nova, it happened on the highway at 70.

I never could get the leaky wheel cylinder off the Nova -- the bolts were seized and the heads rusted round, and it was so worn that replacing the seals in situ didn't help -- so topped off the brake fluid weekly and got really good at using the Powerglide for braking like that.

I don't know why they bother putting rear brakes on cars, they don't do poo poo -- both cars had split master cylinders, so the rears still worked, but you couldn't tell from driving without front brakes.

They do a ton when properly maintained and adjusted. Not 50% because of weight transfer to the front when braking, but it's really noticeable. My rear drums are even pretty noticeable.

Don't the bolts usually go through the backing plate and into the cylinder? If they're rotted off, I usually just grind the heads off, whack the cylinder with a hammer to break it free, then throw the new cylinder in with new bolts, they're almost always 1/2" long 1/4-20s or 5/16-18s, AKA something you probably have 40 random lengths of in the nut and bolt bucket.

• Locked thread