Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!

Oh boy, where to start?

When I got it, it one working brake- the passengers side disk, which worked so well in fact that it never stopped engaging at all. Hard braking (or any sort of braking at all really) would cause the car to violently pull to the right. The passenger rear drum was also stuck engaged, but the previous owner had decided that instead of fixing it, he should pack the drum with grease so the wheel would spin freely. This had the side effect of making the parking brake worthless. The fuel line had been replaced with a braided steel line at some point, which was not anchored to anything. If you looked under the car you could see it swaying happily about an inch from the ground. The aftermarket steering wheel had been mounted incorrectly so that you could do a full quarter turn of wheel in either direction without turning the car. The steering was further compromised by the skinny drag wheels mounted by the PO. It simply could not go around a corner.

The Mustang started life as an EFI car, but was converted to a carb at some point. The EFI wiring harness wasn't removed or disconnected in any way, leaving a bunch of live uninsulated wires dangling in the engine bay shorting on anything they came in contact with. If you made the mistake of driving in the rain, onlookers could watch sparks fly out the bottom of the car. The distributor had a cast iron gear against a steel roller cam. When the cam gear finally ate the distributor, the engine backfired through the carb, setting the air cleaner on fire.

The suspension was completely blown. The rear shocks could be easily compressed by hand, and wouldn't return even under no load at all. The control arms were the original stamped steel ones and were badly worn. The lowers had one poly bushing in them and one rubber bushing (???). The rubber bushings were so rotted all that was left was a little slip of rubber surrounding the sleeve. The sway bar was missing two of its four bolts. One lug nut was missing, and all of the lug nuts were mismatched. It leaked oil from the valve covers and ran so rich if you stood behind it you could feel flecks of unburnt gas on your ankles being spit out the exhaust. It would also belch flames from the exhaust pretty regularly (which I actually kind of miss, to be honest). The seat belts did not work, and there are no safety features of any kind anywhere- no air bags, no crumple zones, and no ABS. It also has solid motor mounts so the engine will shake loose every bolt on the car not loctited in (and some that are, given time).

And it makes about 400 rwhp.

Propaganda Bob fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!

movax posted:

Holy gently caress that sounds terrifying.

i must drive it

I've fixed most of the glaring problems since I got it, but yeah.

The electrical problem was actually so severe the battery wouldn't keep a charge overnight. I didn't realize what it was because the previous owner had zip-tied the offending wires under the frame rail and I didn't think to Scooby Doo around every corner of the engine bay- just assumed it was the alternator. A buddy of mine just happened to have a spare alternator that would work, so one night I jump it off and hop in. It was raining a little, and the shorts combined with the water making its way into the engine bay drained the battery faster than the alternator (which as it turns out worked perfectly fine) could charge it. This culminated in the battery running dry and the car shutting off. At 50 mph, at night, on an unlit road, in the rain. That was the first time it tried to kill me. Not the last.

• Locked thread