Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
I no longer have it, but my '63 Impala had two catastrophic brake failures, one of which occurred at 80 MPH going downhill on an overpass during a red light. Turns out if you try to stop in that situation with 4 wheel drum brakes and 1 master cylinder, you simply won't have brakes. I also regularly slid in the rain even at speeds below 20 mph. Or the time I was driving through a flooded street and the water shorted out my starter and got into my intake, bringing my car to a dead halt in conditions not unlike a tropical storm. Or the realization upon getting into a minor accident in it that in the event of a crash, no amount of precaution was going to save my life as the car turned into a soda can.

I miss my Impala. The Cougar is much safer... except for the sliding in water part. All the weigh is up front, and the driver's seat is actually closer to the rear wheels than the front. So awkward steering+ Poor weight balance+ high torque smog engine = at least one powerslide a day.

11BulletCatcher fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?

SouthLAnd posted:

Any car that has a catastrophic hydraulic brake failure is suddenly the scariest car.

Anyone else have the pleasure of this?

On two seperate occasions, plus one partial failure. Four drums+ plus single unit Master Cylinder + high rate of speed = instantaneous and overwhelming threat of death.

63 Impala gives no fucks about your life. That's the worst though; knowing the whole time the brakes have failed that I am riding in a tin can/ steel coffin at 80 MPH downhill through a red light.

Thankfully, that car had a Powerglide 2 speed transmission, so dropping it in neutral achieved a relatively quick engine brake (tall first gear and no lock up clutch) and it could be placed in reverse at low speed to cause a stop.

11BulletCatcher fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 4, 2014

• Locked thread