Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

LloydDobler posted:

Not to whore out this picture yet again but this car was pretty scary:

Unibody car designed in the 50's, with the roof hacksawed off and held in place by 4 hardware store latches. I tested the strength of the car by cutting the roof off a parts car and having 4 of my friends get in with me. The doors still opened so I declared it solid. My dad said that some 60's factory convertibles wouldn't pass that test, and actually encouraged me to do this. The car was so flexible that if I high centered it on a driveway or speed bump (which I did all the time because it was riding on bumpstops) the doors would fly open. The door jambs had marks in them where all the screws on the door had hammered into the metal just from normal bumps in the road. And I routinely drove in it with too many people, sharing seatbelts. For example, this picture was taken by the 6th passenger, not a timer.

The only reason I grew up not paralyzed or decapitated is that I never crashed it or had anyone crash into me.

So what was it like hanging with the kids from The Breakfast Club? :v:

Anyway, the Studebaker is pretty spooky once you get up to speed on the freeway. lovely narrow bias-ply tires that jerk the car around pretty good on the California freeway's copious grooves and holes. No collapsible steering column, no shoulder belt, no airbag, so I'm probably losing teeth *at the least* in an accident. Visibility is amazing because the roof wasn't designed with rollovers in mind, and there's no B pillar. And loving Amazon still hasn't shipped my replacement master cylinder, so when I sit at a light the brake pedal gradually softens and I have to keep pushing further down lest I start rolling.

My very first car was a 1990-ish Crown Victoria, and it burned both oil and ATF enough that 1) I had to add ATF every other week, and 2) I had to drive with the window partly opened or else the fumes would overwhelm me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread