Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Keyser_Soze posted:

I've had the EVE door sensors on 2 doors going for a few months now, no issues.

“Door sensors”. Okay thanks!

My parents bought some door sensors some years back and they were apparently poo poo. They wouldn’t stick to our doorframes at all because the surfaces weren’t flat. What are some door sensors that will stick to gently-curving doorframe surfaces with zero problems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
How are you trying to stick them? I usually use a bead of silicon, I imagine that would work well with slightly uneven surfaces.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Tyro posted:

How are you trying to stick them? I usually use a bead of silicon, I imagine that would work well with slightly uneven surfaces.

I don’t remember how the last ones were supposed to stick. I don’t even remember having them; my dad was the one who remembered we got them. It was probably way more than a decade ago at this point.

I can post a pic in a bit, if that would help.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I'm using the ones that come with the wyze cameras, they come with pretty good double sided tape and their setup distance is pretty forgiving so you might be able to bypass any curves. I think that the box said up to two inches apart.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
I also use wyze. I like it. I also use one on my garage.

They have alexa integration, so we use them to tell us if the kids get up at night, or if any doors open.

Our echos sound a loud alarm if the contact sensors or motion sensors detect anything.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 1, 2020

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Cross posting here from the home thread in DIY because I didn't realize we had a home automation thread!

So I'm looking to replace my smoke/CO detectors. House was built in 1999, so it's not up to current code. I'd like to at least add some smoke detectors in the bedrooms. Not that it NEEDS to be up to code for an inspector, but because I think its a good idea.

The question is: is there a code compliant smoke/CO detector that will integrate in to any generic home security system (that also has a battery powered version available)? The only one I've found that looks like it will work easily is the First Alert ZCOMBO, which to my understanding should integrate to at least Abode seamlessly (which is what I'm looking at, but I haven't committed to anything yet), and supposedly other alarm systems. Problem is it's battery only, no hard wire option available, so it won't really work for me as a replacement for the existing hard-wired detectors.

I found this guy here:

https://www.firstalert.com/product/wi-fi-photoelectric-smoke-and-carbon-monoxide-alarm-with-10-year-battery-hardwired/

Supposedly a smart device, but does it integrate nicely in to an alarm system? Or will I have to end up hacking around to make it talk?

Basically I'm trying to do this as seamlessly as possible. Preferably all my smoke/CO detectors will be the same (or near enough) and they'll integrate nicely to an alarm system so I don't have 5 different apps I have to work with.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I've got two of those that talk to my Ring system. They were easy to pair and just worked. One data point, but it's something.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DaveSauce posted:

code compliant

Probably depends a lot on what your local code requires, too.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

OP is 6 years old now.. what's the best (mostly) all-in-one offline DIY security solution?

Just looking for server, backups (though I can just find a 3rd party backup) outdoor cameras and sensors. Can a non-cloud service still connect to the police department?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I hear good things about the Ubiquiti stuff, but haven’t deployed it myself.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

sharkytm posted:

I've got two of those that talk to my Ring system. They were easy to pair and just worked. One data point, but it's something.

Good to know. It's a bit pricey to replace all my smoke/CO detectors, but it seems like that's the cost I'd have to pay if I want this.

Separate topic, anyone have any opinions on Abode? That's what I'm leaning towards for a security system, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Seems to tick all the boxes.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

Separate topic, anyone have any opinions on Abode? That's what I'm leaning towards for a security system, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Seems to tick all the boxes.

I've had it for a year and a half. It's got its quirks, but it works fine.

If you want keypads they used to be hot garbage. The new versions are much better - I'd even say they're good.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

DaveSauce posted:

Good to know. It's a bit pricey to replace all my smoke/CO detectors, but it seems like that's the cost I'd have to pay if I want this.

I use them in a commercial shop. I have full sprinkler coverage, but no detectors. I've got one of these in the office, and one in my lab, in case there's some small fire. They immediately call the FD, as well as alerting me. I live 4 minutes away, so it's cheap insurance.

Abode has a lot more sensor types, but the monitoring is a lot more money ($20/month after the first year). Ring's monitoring is $100/yr, which includes AT&T backup and the monitoring is really quick IMHO. The Ring cameras integrate well if you're using them (I'm not, so w/e). I'm not a fan of keyfob remotes for alarm systems, but Ring doesn't offer one. Ring also doesn't have an outdoor siren, or different contact sensors.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Motronic posted:

I've had it for a year and a half. It's got its quirks, but it works fine.

If you want keypads they used to be hot garbage. The new versions are much better - I'd even say they're good.

We'll probably get 1 keypad, but most of the operation would likely be by phone app. I dunno, I can't imagine NOT having a keypad just in case.

sharkytm posted:

I use them in a commercial shop. I have full sprinkler coverage, but no detectors. I've got one of these in the office, and one in my lab, in case there's some small fire. They immediately call the FD, as well as alerting me. I live 4 minutes away, so it's cheap insurance.

Abode has a lot more sensor types, but the monitoring is a lot more money ($20/month after the first year). Ring's monitoring is $100/yr, which includes AT&T backup and the monitoring is really quick IMHO. The Ring cameras integrate well if you're using them (I'm not, so w/e). I'm not a fan of keyfob remotes for alarm systems, but Ring doesn't offer one. Ring also doesn't have an outdoor siren, or different contact sensors.

I've got an aversion to Ring due to its ownership, but not really a rational one. Not thrilled with an Amazon product that knows when I'm home or not... but at the same time I have Google Home in several rooms and ecobee thermostats with remote sensors, sooo yeah.

As far as monitoring is concerned, self monitoring is always an option, so there's that. But considering that $20 is still on the low end of other options I've seen, that seems reasonable.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

We'll probably get 1 keypad, but most of the operation would likely be by phone app. I dunno, I can't imagine NOT having a keypad just in case.

Yeah, exactly. Nothing like having your phone die/get broken/not have an internet connection and not being able to get in without setting off the alarm. The new keypads also include a motion sensor (so they light up when you walk up to them and you can use it to trigger the alarm).

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have any experience with these Honeywell Z-wave dimmer switches?

There's one bullet that says "a blue LED indicator light to locate the switch in a dark room" which sounds like it could be very annoying.

Also if I get the right kind of Z-wave hub can I also control lights using Siri or HomeKit controls?

Happy to hear recommendations of substitutes like the Leviton or other... these just were on sale at Costco.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Hed posted:

There's one bullet that says "a blue LED indicator light to locate the switch in a dark room" which sounds like it could be very annoying.

Also if I get the right kind of Z-wave hub can I also control lights using Siri or HomeKit controls?

Happy to hear recommendations of substitutes like the Leviton or other... these just were on sale at Costco.

I have one of those and it works and I never have to think about it. The light isn't very bright, but if it bothers you you can configure it to be off.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Yeah, most of those ZWave switches have a small blue light like that. It is not very bright at all. Just enough to locate it in a dark room.

And nearly all of them have a parameter you can set to disable it.

The GE/Jasco ones I have you can disable the light, or invert its function (have the light be on when the load is on)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hed posted:

I can't speak to the indicator because I use the toggle style of these, but I can tell you that they are solid devices that just work. Even the "remote" switches for 3 way installs work well, you just need to know how to wire them (the traveler is never hot on these - it's used as a signaling wire only).

And yes, a z-wave hub is what you need. You should get one that supports the things that you want to control it with i.e. Siri or HomeKit. I don't have any suggestions on the because I don't use that stuff, just a bunch of scheduling and triggering in Home Assistant.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks all! I just wanted to make sure it wasn't one of those 2005-era "OMG we can do BLUEEEEEEEE! now" LEDs.

Also Motronic that sounds awesome... your system was the one whose screenshots made me think I was back in a PLC lab right? That interface looked baller. If I can have Siri kickoff functions for that, I'm set. Clearly some more research to do in that department.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hed posted:

Also Motronic that sounds awesome... your system was the one whose screenshots made me think I was back in a PLC lab right? That interface looked baller. If I can have Siri kickoff functions for that, I'm set. Clearly some more research to do in that department.

lol, probably. Was it my panel setup?

That's being displayed around various rooms in the house on whatever cheap refurb Kindle Fires I was able to pick up.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Motronic posted:

That's being displayed around various rooms in the house on whatever cheap refurb Kindle Fires I was able to pick up.

Is Dustin a dog? I've been thinking I'd like to be alerted if my dog leaves my yard, and that looks like a map of a well-traveled backyard with a current dog status dot.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Erwin posted:

Is Dustin a dog? I've been thinking I'd like to be alerted if my dog leaves my yard, and that looks like a map of a well-traveled backyard with a current dog status dot.

It's the name of his robot vacuum. Probably a roborock of some sort.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

It's the name of his robot vacuum. Probably a roborock of some sort.

Yep. Neato botvac. My kids decided to name him that.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Ah, makes sense.

Anyone done anything around dog tracking?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Motronic posted:

Is “remove icon from control surface in April” the new “take down Christmas lights in February”?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Motronic posted:

what is this interface? Can I plug this into my smartthings hub?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Motronic posted:

My biggest question--Motronic how long have you had this setup? Have you had this running for several years and just in last months been boasting to family and friends, "I told you the Pandemic mode would come in handy!" :)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Is “remove icon from control surface in April” the new “take down Christmas lights in February”?

lol

w00tmonger posted:

what is this interface? Can I plug this into my smartthings hub?

This is the AppDaemon panel on Home Assistant. https://github.com/home-assistant/appdaemon

It's really designed for HA, but it's open enough that it might be possible to use for other things as well.

HycoCam posted:

My biggest question--Motronic how long have you had this setup? Have you had this running for several years and just in last months been boasting to family and friends, "I told you the Pandemic mode would come in handy!" :)

It's been up for over a year. And yeah, "pandemic mode" does nothing. I just couldn't help myself. (added it last month)

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Erwin posted:

Ah, makes sense.

I have a black lab that runs somewhere between 10 to 20 miles everyday. The Whistle Go Explore has been an awesome collar. Combination dog fitbit and GPS tracker. There is a project to integrate the collar into Home Assistant.**

https://community.smartthings.com/t/whistle-pet-tracker-integration/9223

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/whistle-v3-api/89538

(** I have yet to integrate the collar into my HA setup.)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Ok that is cool and I didn't realize that was set up. I was thinking of your flow diagram that is apparently from Node Red up thread:

Neat stuff, I've got a lot to read about.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Erwin posted:

Ah, makes sense.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/25/20883874/amazon-fetch-sidewalk-wireless-standard-ultra-low-power-devices-developers

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

quote:

Ring products currently use Z-Wave, Echos use Zigbee, and Eero supports Thread.
That’s interesting.

I played with dog tracking using ble and HA. If you google ‘ble trilateration’ you’ll find plenty of info.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I just set up the Android TV integration in Home Assistant to control my Shield TVs. It was a little fiddly to get setup, but now it's working smooth and great.

I can send any remote command (left, right, home, etc), start and stop specific apps, and even perform specific actions in specific apps if the apps have an intent API for it. Even if they don't have an intent for whatever action you can still control apps by sending remote commands.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
That's really cool, I've been meaning to set it up and play around with that but I haven't really found any killer use case yet. Most of the things I can really think of would involve me being in front of the TV already, so it's just as easy to use the remote to navigate the interface as to open up my mobile device and use the HA interface. I guess I could trigger voice commands to specific apps, but that seems like it would take more scripting than it's worth (and the shield already supports voice anyways?)

One thing that WOULD be cool is to tie my den lighting scenes (Full, TV/Dim, and Movie/Dark) to the LG WebOS integration to automatically change picture profiles based on content, but I don't think the integration supports that.

Have you thought of any kind of killer use yet?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Hubis posted:

That's really cool, I've been meaning to set it up and play around with that but I haven't really found any killer use case yet. Most of the things I can really think of would involve me being in front of the TV already, so it's just as easy to use the remote to navigate the interface as to open up my mobile device and use the HA interface. I guess I could trigger voice commands to specific apps, but that seems like it would take more scripting than it's worth (and the shield already supports voice anyways?)

One thing that WOULD be cool is to tie my den lighting scenes (Full, TV/Dim, and Movie/Dark) to the LG WebOS integration to automatically change picture profiles based on content, but I don't think the integration supports that.

Have you thought of any kind of killer use yet?

1. I don't like the shield's voice interface. I have problems with both the Shield's Assistant and controlling the Shield from Google Homes...but it's been a few months since I messed with it so I don't remember the details. I come back to trying to get it working like I want every few months and it's never working like I want.

So, that is one of my usages.

2. Also, it can detect state of different things, so I can use that as triggers for automations. Like, in one of the rooms we have a Shield in, the LEDs on one of our dimmer switches are too bright when watching TV with the lights off. So, when something is playing, and the lights are off, I turn the LEDs on the dimmer off.

3. The main reason I set this up: It can fire intents surfaced by individual apps (but I haven't examined everything available yet), so you can actually have it do specific things in specific apps. I'm going to set up a thing where I can tell it to resume TV Show X and it will start playing my up next episode from that show in Kodi.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Can you use it to search for stuff? I'd like to be able to find a trailer or a TV show on Netflix without finding the shield remote and using the mic on that.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

EC posted:

Can you use it to search for stuff? I'd like to be able to find a trailer or a TV show on Netflix without finding the shield remote and using the mic on that.

I haven't tried it, but I think all the components are there to build something like that.

You'd probably need to build something with the dialogflow component.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I recently bought a Eufy battery doorbell, but don't know the best place to put it. This is my front door:

I'm thinking beside the mailbox, with the 15 degree offset mount. Is there a better position? Do I need to move the mailbox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I recently bought a Eufy battery doorbell, but don't know the best place to put it. This is my front door:

I'm thinking beside the mailbox, with the 15 degree offset mount. Is there a better position? Do I need to move the mailbox?

Seems like a good location to me.

I don't know how big the Eufy doorbell is though.

Not that this seems applicable to you, but I'll put this out there for anyone else who might care: I 3d printed a more extreme angled adapter for my Nest Hello doorbell because my front door is close to an inside corner and the wall coming out perpendicular to the door took up 50% of the field of view even with the included angled adapter, which seemed a waste.