Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That Works posted:

I run my HA instance on a VM which is on my Unraid server / NAS that I use for all my :filez: and PLEX etc. It was really easy to get up and running and I am happy that it can piggyback so easily onto an already 'always on' device.

I've got your same setup, but opted for a Pi to run Homebridge on. Mostly because I just wanted to dick around with a Pi, but also because my toddlers like to push the "blue button" on my NAS and turn it off randomly :v:

That said, any easy way to auto backup the image on the SD card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Good timing on NAS-chat, I'm starting to bump into the limitations of the Hue bridge and am thinking of going all in on Home Assistant. Just playing with it in a Mac VM now, but in the long term:

- Is running it on a Synology NAS a good plan, if I'm buying something specially? I have one already but it's a cheaper model that doesn't do Docker. If I upgrade, is it effectively equivalent to running it on a Pi, but with added hard disks, or is it a compromise in some way?

- If yes to the above, can you use a Zigbee dongle with a Synology NAS?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I can't help you with Synology. I use a homebuilt NAS running Unraid. You might Google around and see if people run a VM on those if not docker.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

Bobstar posted:

Good timing on NAS-chat, I'm starting to bump into the limitations of the Hue bridge and am thinking of going all in on Home Assistant. Just playing with it in a Mac VM now, but in the long term:

- Is running it on a Synology NAS a good plan, if I'm buying something specially? I have one already but it's a cheaper model that doesn't do Docker. If I upgrade, is it effectively equivalent to running it on a Pi, but with added hard disks, or is it a compromise in some way?

- If yes to the above, can you use a Zigbee dongle with a Synology NAS?

I run mine on my 918+ and use a HUSBZB usb for zigbee and zwave. Works great running in a vm on the Synology. I do run a bunch of containers on it but not HA.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I heard about HomeKit Secure Video, and it sounds great in concept. You get the advantage of the camera streams being encrypted and impossible for the manufacturer or hoster to access, but you don't have to run your own system.

Except everything I have that works with HomeKit requires you to install the manufacturer's app, set up an account, and *then* you can link it; you can't just scan a code and set the device up from within the Home app.

Does HomeKit Secure Video work the same way, where the only advantage is that *Apple* can't see the video, but the manufacturers all can? Or did I miss something about how I could have set up things for HomeKit?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Is having multiple profiles on Echo devices supposed to be absolute garbage?

My girlfriend likes to switch to her profile on the Echo so she can listen to her music but if she wants to control anything it tells her she has to switch to my profile to turn the fuggen lights off or whatever. Or I have to switch from her profile to mine so I can turn the lights on. It's so loving stupid I'm getting a Homepod.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I've got a setup issue I can't figure out for Home Assistant.

I bought a couple of Honeywell Z-wave smart switches and got them set up and running on my Z-wave hub yesterday, so I know the process is functioning. Those H-well switches are practically unobtanium though so I bought a GE version and it looks like they get pumped out of the same factory tbh. I got this model:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RRBT6W5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I've wired it up and it works, neutral wire is connected, blue LED is working, manual controls work.

However I cannot get it to detect by my Z-wave hub. Location is not an issue as it's just across the room from other Z-wave nodes that are functional and it's <20ft away from the server.

I am using the OpenZwave integration. I have tried doing a factory reset on the hardware as well but nothing seems to click.

Any suggestions?

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

That Works posted:

I've got a setup issue I can't figure out for Home Assistant.

I bought a couple of Honeywell Z-wave smart switches and got them set up and running on my Z-wave hub yesterday, so I know the process is functioning. Those H-well switches are practically unobtanium though so I bought a GE version and it looks like they get pumped out of the same factory tbh. I got this model:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RRBT6W5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I've wired it up and it works, neutral wire is connected, blue LED is working, manual controls work.

However I cannot get it to detect by my Z-wave hub. Location is not an issue as it's just across the room from other Z-wave nodes that are functional and it's <20ft away from the server.

I am using the OpenZwave integration. I have tried doing a factory reset on the hardware as well but nothing seems to click.

Any suggestions?

I just installed some of those last week, but I'm using Hubitat to control them.

For those that set up was Device Discovery -> Z-wave -> Start Z-Wave Inclusion. Then I pressed the switch on and it showed up in the results, but I had to re-run discovery and hit the switch again to actually name it properly.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

vote_no posted:

I heard about HomeKit Secure Video, and it sounds great in concept. You get the advantage of the camera streams being encrypted and impossible for the manufacturer or hoster to access, but you don't have to run your own system.

Except everything I have that works with HomeKit requires you to install the manufacturer's app, set up an account, and *then* you can link it; you can't just scan a code and set the device up from within the Home app.

Does HomeKit Secure Video work the same way, where the only advantage is that *Apple* can't see the video, but the manufacturers all can? Or did I miss something about how I could have set up things for HomeKit?

I have some Logitech circle cameras/doorbell and the eufy outdoor cameras that work with HomeKit. None of them require an app and do everything through HomeKit. The Logitech camera doesn’t even have an app available.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

atomicpile posted:

I have some Logitech circle cameras/doorbell and the eufy outdoor cameras that work with HomeKit. None of them require an app and do everything through HomeKit. The Logitech camera doesn’t even have an app available.

Awesome, thanks so much for confirming that (at least for those particular brands) -- I was finding nothing through Google searches one way or the other.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

TVGM posted:

I just installed some of those last week, but I'm using Hubitat to control them.

For those that set up was Device Discovery -> Z-wave -> Start Z-Wave Inclusion. Then I pressed the switch on and it showed up in the results, but I had to re-run discovery and hit the switch again to actually name it properly.

Thanks.

I tried the factory reset on the switch, also rebooted HA etc. At best I can get a new node to show up, but no new devices or entities and when looking at the node itself in OpenZwave config its just blank and I can't seem to query it so far. This is an odd one.

e: looks like someone else has the same issue. Not encouraging.

https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassistant/comments/cyhsci/openzwave_config_not_fully_recognizing_a_new/

That Works fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 28, 2021

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Baxate posted:

My girlfriend likes to switch to her profile on the Echo so she can listen to her music but if she wants to control anything it tells her she has to switch to my profile to turn the fuggen lights off or whatever. Or I have to switch from her profile to mine so I can turn the lights on. It's so loving stupid I'm getting a Homepod.

The solution to this is to add the relevant Smart Home skills to her Alexa account as well. For some reason they are account specific.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Slash posted:

The solution to this is to add the relevant Smart Home skills to her Alexa account as well. For some reason they are account specific.

Hmm, so I've got a couple WeMo lights this would work for, but when I got this Echo it came with a freebie bulb that apparently does not have an associated skill. That's kind of whatever. It's also kind of whatever that I have to sign in to my WeMo account on her phone too. And it doesn't even sync my groups or anything. It's so dumb this stuff doesn't just work.

Like I can't believe this is a real issue for a device that's supposed to be used by multiple people living in the same house. I setup our accounts as a "Household" but that apparently only lets you share purchases, it does nothing for smart home anything.

Baxate fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 29, 2021

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Baxate posted:

LOL is this really how Alexas work? That's wild, Google Homes just know who's talking and only provide relevant information specific to them.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I got a couple of TP-Link wireless security cameras to keep an eye on the dog when she is alone in the garden. I found that just displaying the streams in a single window on my desktop was a bit of a pain where I was either meant to run some system like Shinobi or BlueCherry that would be huge overkill, or mess with vlc's horrible config/interface system. In the end I figured out a pretty simple solution with ffmpeg consuming the camrea's rtsp streams, placing the two side by side, and streaming the output to VLC. I thought I'd share it here since I haven't found a similar premade solution and maybe it's of use to someone else. Should work for any camera that has rtsp, and you could easily adjust it for other stream types.

code:
#!/bin/bash
ffmpeg -rtsp_transport udp \
-i rtsp://uname1:pass1@x.x.x.1:554/stream2 \
-i rtsp://uname2:pass2@x.x.x.2:554/stream2 \
-filter_complex "
  nullsrc=size=1280x360 [base]; 
  [0:v] setpts=PTS-STARTPTS, scale=640x360 [left]; 
  [1:v] setpts=PTS-STARTPTS, scale=640x360 [right]; 
  [base][left] overlay=shortest=1 [tmp1]; 
  [tmp1][right] overlay=shortest=1:x=640" \
-c:v libx265 \
-an \
-preset ultrafast \
-tune zerolatency \
-f mpegts udp://127.0.0.1:23000 &

cvlc udp://@:23000
It works well to give me a small live video with little overhead. On these cameras stream2 is 640x360 resolution; you can use stream1 instead for 1080p video but the lower resolution means faster transcoding and fewer dropped frames. This doc page should explain most of the code if you wanted to adapt it to more cameras or a different layout.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

LastInLine posted:

LOL is this really how Alexas work? That's wild, Google Homes just know who's talking and only provide relevant information specific to them.

Its wild. It recognizes both of our voices no matter which profile its set to. You can ask it who's speaking and it repeats your name to you. But if I ask it "play music I like", it starts playing my girlfriend's station on Apple Music if its on her profile or vice versa. And yeah for some ungodly reason it can't control the devices it knows about if the wrong profile is set.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

vote_no posted:

Awesome, thanks so much for confirming that (at least for those particular brands) -- I was finding nothing through Google searches one way or the other.

This is what I’ve got as well with Logitech’s and a Eufy. I definitely ~feel~ better about the video being secure in HomeKit unfortunately the ability to only record video on movement is a bit annoying. I really wish there was a way to record 24/7. Home app is still better than a piecemeal grouping of apps to control the home.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Baxate posted:

Its wild. It recognizes both of our voices no matter which profile its set to. You can ask it who's speaking and it repeats your name to you. But if I ask it "play music I like", it starts playing my girlfriend's station on Apple Music if its on her profile or vice versa. And yeah for some ungodly reason it can't control the devices it knows about if the wrong profile is set.

Wow, this makes me glad I have a bunch of HomePod Minis.

For as much as Siri is lacking, it does a really good job at recognizing different voices.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Wow, this makes me glad I have a bunch of HomePod Minis.

For as much as Siri is lacking, it does a really good job at recognizing different voices.

From what I understand it knows the voices but chooses to act on them in a bizarre way. For all of Google's little bothers I have to say the way it handles multiple users (after its first year of being pretty rough) is now just transparent and accurate.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

For HomeAssistant folks what are you using for your Zwave integration?

I had OpenZwave running and it was up for 3-4 days and after a server reboot it's not connecting to any of my devices / I can't even load up the integration configuration anymore. The VM running HA has the USB passthrough set up correctly and the USB hub I am using is running Zigbee just fine off of the same device so I am fairly sure it's a Zwave software issue.

I'm open to ditching OpenZwave for something else if I can't fix it so was curious what others use.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I've been on Z-Wave JS since it came out in HA a month or two ago. It's been a vast improvement over both previous attempts they made. It understands things that the old ones simply didn't, like the monoprice door/window sensors were something dump like 21 when open and 20 when closed, but JS just gives you an open/closed value so I was able to get rid of my ridiculous scripts that generated that from the ozw output.

Note: don't be a dummy like me. Keep a list of Device ID to Device name mappings because then you switch to JS you lose all of the naming information.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

OpenZwave is deprecated, use zwave-js for new setups. It’s still early in dev but works very well, just need to monitor patch notes for occasional breaking changes though hopefully those are pretty much done.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yep also using ZWaveJS with the recommended zwavejs2mqtt docker container and it all seems rock solid.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Less Fat Luke posted:

Yep also using ZWaveJS with the recommended zwavejs2mqtt docker container and it all seems rock solid.

I switched over to ZWaveJS and zwavejs2mqtt docker container and it also seems solid. I don't have a lot of ZWave stuff.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Got my Honeywell Lyric via AlarmGrid mostly integrated -- it's annoying that I have to keep e-mailing them and waiting a few days for them to remotely do stuff though. Haven't quite got HomeKit working yet -- their second attempt to push the config worked, but then the adoption process failed halfway through (thanks Home app) and it didn't appear anymore... it will be a wonder when it finally gets plugged in.

Have mostly 5800-series sensors I've been adding to it (figured 345 MHz was less crowded), but belatedly realized that the Lyric doesn't expose all zones to HomeKit, just those in a few select ones. I have added some sensors to door/windows that I don't care about securing, I just want to see if they are open or closed or not and $12 for a sensor to do that isn't awful. Got the 5800C2W module working as well to integrate a few wired sensors from my house -- not bad for a little $80 box though in retrospect, I had so few sensors that I might have been better off just buying a few of the 5800 wireless sensors that had a connector for hardwired contacts. Oh well, at least I don't have to worry about a battery.

Still (not) surprised that in 2021 security systems are still pretty terrible. With the advent of low-cost, high-battery life sensors, it shouldn't really be hard to get everything behaving but goddamn if the industry doesn't accept the challenge to still make it brittle.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I think I settled on lutron caseta for switches and they seem to have good wife acceptance thus far.

Is there anything fancy I can do with outlets themselves? Add USB or whatever? Metering? Invest my home automation time into something else instead?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Double post, but does this thing https://github.com/hass-emulated-hue/core still require me to have the Hue bridge as well? I can't tell from the docs.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Gyshall posted:

Double post, but does this thing https://github.com/hass-emulated-hue/core still require me to have the Hue bridge as well? I can't tell from the docs.

Doesn't look like it, no.
It also looks cool, so thanks for posting it. I'd love to add extra lights to my entertainment zones.

Confirmed that it looks to work without a bridge as long as you have some sort of lights in HASS already (zigbee, zwave, wifi, whatever). It just "looks like" a hue bridge for Hue software to connect to and presents your lights to the Hue Software.

It does NOT work with the latest Hue Sync though, which is what I really wanted, and needs some work, but its' a neat start.

Gerdalti fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 7, 2021

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah which is a bummer. I also like being able to keep my bridge on my iotcrap network all isolated from HA etc

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005
fprintf(stderr, "this should never print\n");
We had a Johnson Controls (exacq) PC-based DVR+NVR die in a lightning storm this week. Our security vendor wants $NEW_KIA to replace it since it's >3 years old and we don't have an ongoing service agreement with them. Replacing the foxconn mini-itx motherboard gets the thing going again, but the software license is tied to the original board. Also, there's no windows drivers available for the OEM vrc7008 DVR card in it (we have analog & IP cams). womp, womp.

I'm a *nix guy by trade but I have no qualms with loading up a windows box with blue iris to replace this chunk of junk. Is this a dumb idea? If yes, what should I be looking at instead (e.g., brand/model of DVR+NVR box)? If no, can someone suggest a replacement analog capture card compatible with Blue Iris?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I bought an AverMedia NV5000 off eBay to do analog capture for like 40$. It's not bad, the drivers seem to work with Windows 10 64-bit and Blue Iris works with all 4 of my analogs. But the capture card is super, super old and unsupported so your mileage may vary. Also it's PCI non-express so keep that in mind.

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005
fprintf(stderr, "this should never print\n");
thanks. I've been reading about including analog cameras into blue iris. it seems like the most commonly offered advice for performance as well as price is to use certain NVRs to handle the cameras and provide IP streams to BI.

now i really need to re-evaluate whether these few analog cameras can be converted to IP without too much trouble...

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
About how many lutron or smart switches are you goons using per area? In my new house I have a bunch of triple plate switches that I'm trying to find out how to buy for.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Gyshall posted:

About how many lutron or smart switches are you goons using per area? In my new house I have a bunch of triple plate switches that I'm trying to find out how to buy for.

If you're using smart bulbs, you'll probably want a smart switch or dimmer for each fixture, unless you're 100% sure that you're okay with not being able to walk into a room and just hit a wall control to turn the lights on.

If you're going to use smart switches with dumb bulbs, it comes down to how many devices you want to automate or control remotely, and how much you want to spend.

Personally, I'm mostly using Lutron Aurora smart dimmers, which don't require replacing the wall plate. They just snap on over an existing switch, so you can replace one or more switches on a multi-switch plate, and they pair directly with Zigbee smart bulbs as well as being addressable by Home Assistant.

I've gone a little crazy with my own home. I currently have:
- Aurora controlling the office floor lamp
- Aurora controlling the ceiling light fixture
- Aurora controlling the adjacent dining room light fixture
- 2 x Aurora controlling the stairway lights
- Aqara Button controlling the living room floor lamp
- Aqara Button controlling the master bedroom table lamp

All with paired one or more Innr Zigbee smart bulbs.

The mix of smart switches and smart bulbs may be overkill for a lot of people, but I'm having fun with the colors and extra automation capabilities.

For example, most of my living area lights are set to slowly fade up about an hour before sunset, unless both my wife and I are not home, in which case they stay off until one of us arrives home. When we go into "settle mode" before bed, the lights all either turn off or fade down to a dim blue-white "nightlight" mode.

So you can go pretty crazy if you want. But I'd say think about the lights you have on most often, and which ones would be handy to have automatically turn on/off.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

I've gone a little crazy with my own home. I currently have:

If that's "going crazy" I must be stark raving mad. I just paired device #28 on my HA instance in the house. There are 2 switches, a sensor and an outlet on the instance in the barn.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I'm looking for a z-wave or zigbee fan controller I can wire into the ceiling to control a fan and light. Suggestions?
I'm seeing a few wifi ones, but I'd rather not.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Gyshall posted:

Arg, I got so many triple switches throughout my house that I’m going to be dealing with the same thing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Gerdalti posted:

I'm looking for a z-wave or zigbee fan controller I can wire into the ceiling to control a fan and light. Suggestions?
I'm seeing a few wifi ones, but I'd rather not.

Honeywell/Jasco makes one: https://byjasco.com/honeywell-z-wave-plus-wall-smart-fan-control

I don't have that particular one, but I have a ton of Honeywell zwave switches and dimmers and they're pretty great.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Motronic posted:

Honeywell/Jasco makes one: https://byjasco.com/honeywell-z-wave-plus-wall-smart-fan-control

I don't have that particular one, but I have a ton of Honeywell zwave switches and dimmers and they're pretty great.

Nice, but, was hoping for something that could control the fan and light separately.
Fan and light are on a single switch, so something like this but not wifi...
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07YS5H7SM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_X2JNRFJMR3TA4EA6JR7X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Gerdalti posted:

Nice, but, was hoping for something that could control the fan and light separately.

Yeah, you put in a switch or dimmer for the light.

Is the problem that you don't have/can't add another gang to your box for a second switch?