Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
I have a myQ and it doesn't really integrate with much so if anyone else has a garage door suggestion, I'll take it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
I have yet to have that happen, but my furthest bulb is like 25ft

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Costco has a 2-pack of Hue Calla bollard lights for $169. A base kit + extension kit is $260 on Amazon. I'm a sucker and bought one to start putting some lighting around our deck. :sigh:

I grabbed a bunch of the IKEA greedy ones thinking they were cheap (doing the math on it now, they weren't) since the driver works with zigbee thinking the folders could attach to the driver. The connectors are just different enough to now work, and I didn't want to shave them down to get them to work.

I thought 'gently caress it, ill just pay the hue markup' until I browsed Invasion site to see if I could get more switches and saw this for $50:
https://inovelli.com/red-series-smart-led-strip/

Not a continuous strip, its the type in the plastic segment shells, but supports weave and individually addressable

I've had good luck with their switches, they stay connected (and are setup with security) to my zwave2js + HA setup, so ill probably get some to try. Gonna light my little server nook with them

edit: costco used to be the cheapest way to get the color Hue bulbs, they were $70 for 3x white/color ambiance and a bridge, so I bought a few starter packs

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
They aren't the best, but the IKEA buttons are cheap enough for me to pick one up whenever I want one quick

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Murgos posted:

If it makes you happy. People don’t actually want to steal videos of the Amazon delivery at your door.

no but they do want to root your likely insecure cameras so they can sell access to it as a ddos not kids can use to take down rivals' Minecraft servers

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
For door contacts/window vibration/leak sensors and, as of this week, all of my non-Hue Signed buttons, I'm using Aqara (Xiaomi)

a bit cheaper, but they have been very solid and don't have the lovely battery life other vendors (like IKEA) do

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Is there anything out there like the Hue White and Color Ambience series that includes LEDs for both RGB and temp-controlled whites? The Hues are selling at extortion prices right now (like 3 for $100 on sale) so I figured I'd try the Sengled branded ones - they are responsive, they pair with both HomeAssistant and the Hue brixge, they can do any of the colors fine, but they cannot do a normal white (I got something that is close, but a tinge blue). Because this fake white uses all three color LEDs and these do not have the extra white LEDs the Hues have, it is noticeably dimmer than the Hues on "white" too. It looks roughly as bright as the Hues when using colors

Still haven't decided if I should keep the Sengleds, the price was about $10 per after coupon on Amazon

I like bulbs that can do the near fluorescent tube hospital lobby white light, but would like ones that can do colors too if possible so I can use colors as a visual alert for events

edit the website is short on details that matter, and IKEA refers to all their bulbs as "Tradfri" so it's a pain to Google, but maybe these would work? Don't think the local store carries them

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/tradfri-led-bulb-e26-800-lumen-wireless-dimmable-color-and-white-spectrum-globe-opal-40439169/

text editor fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 23, 2021

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Yeah none of my Hues have died, I just need some more and don't want to spend the extra if something comparable was around.

When I moved into my new place, I watch Slickdeals for sales and found out our local CostCo had starter sets of 3x White/Color Plus a Hub for $70. I snagged 2 immediately but in retrospect I should have stocked up since that was a clearance price. By the time I had gone back to get a few more, they had pulled them from the floor

Seems like they've also had the starter kits for the LED strips cheap there as well

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

blugu64 posted:

First Alert makes a traditional Fire/co alarm. It’s ZWave though, works good enough for me. No cloud BS, local only.

how long do the AAs in these last? I've had 2x on my counter for a month I need to setup

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

devmd01 posted:

There are a few other things like water sensors I’d like to have but I’m not planning on going crazy.

yeah I remember saying this to myself too.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

WobblySausage posted:

Sweet, thanks. I have a Brocade switch in a homelabish environment rn but it's just so drat loud, and our new place just doesn't have a good place for a loud rear end rack. I really haven't had luck configuring it, either. Plus our Unifi AP has been great. I like that the Unifi stuff stays local.

Now to get to reading this thread about some smart home ideas. I can't wait to get a proper network setup going with some automation sprinkled in.

I bought a Brocade 7150-c12p after readings that servethehome thread and I'm smitten. the low port count sucks, but 2x 10G plus 12poe in a fanless enclosure is great.

configuration did have hiccups for me too though, lots of little weird edge issues like SSH supporting keys but only under specific conditions, some VLAN mysteries that took awhile to solve, etc

otherwise, very Cisco-like so it was very approachable

*some, though not all, of those Brocades can take fan mods

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

skipdogg posted:

How much did you pay for that switch? It's a neat box, but I can't really handle the price point for home use.

when I got it? $250. they seem to have settled at $200 now

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Didn't want to vm it since I consider it more essential than the things I run in VMs, so mine it running off a used HP T620 thin client I got from ebay, albeit with the ssd swapped for a larger spare I had lying around and an extra 4G of RAM I had lying around it never used above 1G RAM and total disk usage is at 12G, but I could easily cut that down if I put any effort into cleaning old docker images.

The T620 was $30 on ebay, shipped

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Gyshall posted:

I have a schlage Zwave lock which is great - however, it currently says "Open" when the door is shut for the status in my Home Assistant install. Is there a way to easily re-calibrate this?

Doesn't it only track the status of the bolt?

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Total Meatlove posted:

I used to have a non-connected smart cat flap, which is a microchip reader with two actuators - if your cat comes up to the door and is read, then the flaps unlock on both sides and it can come through. If you want your cats to be able to come back into the house but not go outside again, you can make it one way.

Worked really well but ate batteries iirc.

I'm sure RFID versions exist now but years ago when I thought about doing a DIY one, I figured I'd have to make a smart dog/cat "tunnel" vs just a smart door. My thinking was that I'd have to make like little boxes on either side of the door the pet would have to walk through so they would be in the correct short range of the reader

bonus points if you make it kinda low so the car has to duck and rub up against the top of it, and a well placed reader picks up the chip they do at the vet

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
well the real trick with Hues used to be buying lots of Costco starter packs and throwing the included bridge in a closest. it was the cheapest way to get hues before the price got spiked up

As for switches. I've loved my Inovellis, but my Zooz also seem great for the price

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

Anyone touched these Costco wifi dimmer switches?

At $40 CAD for 3, that's waaaay cheaper than the competition if they play nicely with home assistant

The plan would be to ideally do my while place and this would make that very affordable

I haven't, but I can say when I bought a Zooz dinner, they specifically suggested not to use it with Feit bulbs due to issues. Feit was the only brand mentioned this way

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
None of my Zoos stuff seems to integrate with security, unlike my inovellis that do it flawlessly.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
My MyQ lags horribly and will many times list the incorrect state of my garage door, causing me to send the open/close door command in the app, which actually does not check with the paired tilt sensor at all, which in turn made me remotely open the garage door and leave it open for several hours thinking I had done the opposite.

Now I just confirm with my always-correct Z-wave tilt sensor

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
I did something wrong wiring up my zooz garage relay so I still have the myq in the mix, gonna try again later but as far as I can tell it's all right

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
I pop one of these over any of the permanently -on rocker switches with smart bulbs behind them. they have little snap off tab corners on them too in case you want the switch to still be reachable, but hard activate without intending to.

https://www.amazon.com/Option-Switch-Guards-Clear-Rocker/dp/B00DUBOSTA

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

priznat posted:

I just discovered this while trolling amazon for deals and I love it

https://www.amazon.ca/SwitchBot-simple-switch-smart-White/dp/B07B7NXV4R

I don't think I have any use cases for it but I think that's cool

I bought their IR blaster two years ago on prime day so I could control my TV remotely.

It's still in the box

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Inovelli's Dimmer/Fan relay combo switches are nearly 3x the price of Zooz, and after setting up two of these Zooz switches...

...I think the Inovellis are worth the cost. The Zooz stuff has so many quirks, I've had to RMA a switch for firmware bugs, and there is just something lacking in the tactile feel of all my Zooz switches, where my Inovellis (and GE add-on switches, though I will admit sometimes they don't activate if you push them in the wrong spot, despite the solid well-defined click) feel solid and consistent when you press them.
I have have issues pairing/resetting the Inovellis or configuring them, or finding out entities or features aren't available in home assistant. I can't say Zooz has been that stable. The have faster (nearly instant) response times, where occasionally the Zooz will hang for a second or two or occasionally 5-10 secs

Like it is very obvious that the Inovellis are really much better than the competition . I'm pretty sure that's why their prices have been sticky or gone up despite all the competitors being much cheaper - they are just worth the cost

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

If the cops want to see my wife’s 209 Amazon deliveries a day on my ring doorbell, knock yourself out.

More like a cop pulls you wife over, takes a liking to her, and obsessively stalks her using police resources

https://nypost.com/2023/09/02/nj-cop-stalked-teen-girl-at-police-national-night-out-event/

cops abuse resources all the time, here's one from a few days ago

quote:

Kevin Ruditsky is charged with stalking a 16-year-old girl he met at police event.

Manalapan patrolman Kevin Ruditsky was in full uniform when he met the 16-year-old girl on Aug. 1 at the town’s National Night Out

He let her sit in his patrol car, and later that evening, Ruditsky, 46, began peppering the girl with sexually explicit messages and photos on social media, Monmouth County Prosecutor Raymond S. Santiago said this week.

Several days after National Night Out, the pervy patrolman pulled the teen over on Route 9, handcuffed her, and attempted to kiss her “while his dash camera and body-worn camera were both deactivated,” Santiago said.

Ruditsky also “conducted lookups” of the victim in a law enforcement database, and once sat outside the girl’s home in his patrol car after the teen refused to give him her address, prosecutors said

He used police resources to track and force himself on a 16-year-old

Now imagine someone like this who can watch your cameras too and tell exactly when someone is home alone.

text editor fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 5, 2023

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
myQ has been insanely unreliable for me in properly detecting the door status and ever since I updated the door sensor and relay to z-wave I've been much happier

Like the second my garage door stops, my z-wave sensor marks it as closed. then between 20 seconds to 6 hours later I get a notification from myQ that it is closed

My decision to change came one day when I went out, it still said "open", so I "closed" it with no status change and came home to my garage door wide open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

biznatchio posted:

I bought an additional door opener remote and soldered a Shelly across the button contacts on the remote's board, and put a hall effect sensor on the door to detect open/close state. Works far better than MyQ ever did.

I may have posted about it before, but I have the Zooz multirelay+ the ecobee tilt sensor and the responsiveness is amazingly, the MyQ used to take anywhere from 5 minutes to a few hours to update the status of the door. for the z-wave setup, it's 1 to 15 seconds at worst, and that might in part be the fault of the homeassistant app since I don't know if it polls at a lower frequency when minimized and on battery saver.

I access Home Assistant over a point-to-point Wireguard VPN tunnel+ WiFi (the app lets you input local and remote IPs for your HA server, so I used its internal IP for home and the VPN internal IP for remote)