Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Some Malaysian company is running a Kickstarter for a control box.

Hmm. Wonder where they found the guy from Pennsylvania to do the marketing video? Anyhow.

Looks...interesting. I do have to wonder why the box is so large, when it appears as if there is only a small circuit board occupying the entire thing. I don't know. On the fence about believing the claims. They are seriously saying their box can do everything. That's bold.

Bookmarked just in case...

Edit: not trying to be internet detective here, but...they backpedaled on their Kickstarter page...

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Samsung Smart Things hub is $49 at Amazon/Newegg. Pricematch to your local Best Buy if you want it today (hopefully it doesn't go out of stock at Amazon/Newegg first).

Also, the Home kit is $100 off, so $149 at Amazon and Best Buy.

My insteon $29 thingy is going back to Costco today since it doesn't work with Google Home and is older tech (powerline communication).

Good prices if you want to jump into the Smart Things world (Z-Wave)...

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

TraderStav posted:

I thought the costco one would use the RF that the insteon switches use. What does it take to make it work with RF if not?

I don't know enough about it to be honest. What I do know is that zwave is a more widely supported and reliable protocol, so that's where I'm now spending my money. I guess if someone wants to have Insteon equipment and find open source 3rd party software to make it work better, go for it. I don't really want to deal with it, so SmartThings it is (IMO).

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
My Nest is shaping up to the the worst purchase I've made in a long time. Nothing supports the drat thing. I know I can set up some IFTTT stuff to glue it all together, but it would be real great if it "just worked."

Learned that when I set up my Smart Things home kit yesterday. Nice, right? Jesus Google.

Buy an Ecobee, folks.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Google Home is $74 at Best Buy with Visa Checkout.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I have a Smarthings hub and want to control my front porch lights remotely. Is this something that would fit my needs?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GONGX98/

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, that should work fine.

Cool, thanks for the quick response. Free Saturday delivery coming right up!

Edit: went with this one, looks to serve the same function at a lower cost:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035YRCR2/

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 2, 2017

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Well the GE Z-Wave switch I bought doesn't work with my home wiring. I tried to figure out for 3 hours yesterday and threw in the towel.

House built in 2007, so the wiring should be kinda current. Two switches, the "hot" wire wrapped around the pole on the switch I was replacing (and went to the second switch). The ground wires were not being used, 4 of them twisted together and shoved to the back of the box. I had no "neutral" wire and both wires I did have were black (no white wire). Was loving confusing.

I did use one of the bare copper ground wires, but the switch never worked.

Tried everything, no dice. Damnit.

Guess I need to hire an electrician to run a neutral wire? Nah, not that important.

Edit: all the wires were black. The white-ish appearance is just paint overspray from construction.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Thanks guys. I think I have a multimeter somewhere in the garage, I'll try that.

Clearly I know jack poo poo about electricity, but I've changed switches many times in the past but this GE switch is different than a "dumb" one. Just trying not to burn my house down I guess.