Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I received some WeMo Mini Smart Plugs recently and read that their "Insight" switches have an unpatched vulnerability right now. I have a Google Home Mini hooked up to my network already and was thinking about hooking this up to it but now I'm getting a bit paranoid. Have you goons done anything to try and secure your network a bit with one of these on it? This will be my first step into home automation, which is exciting, but I don't want to be part of some botnet if I can help it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

anybody here know if you can stick wemo mini plugs on a guest wifi network (vlan) and control them on google home minis on the main network? they're on the same router but i want to keep them isolated if possible. couldn't find any docs that mention doing this for google or wemo and i already had a hell of time getting the wemos paired to my mini on the same network.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Any cheap cams that also have noise that'll turn them on? I have some passive aggressive neighbors that are likely to escalate things soon.

Been playing around with Wyzecams lately, $20 but they're indoor only and has to be plugged in.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

I think it might be every 5. If you have an SD card connected you can just watch that footage though.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

FCKGW posted:

I know I feel like I'm just spamming for Wyze stuff, but they put pre-orders of their upcoming video doorbell product earlier this week. Won't ship to Jan 2021 though.

$30 for a cloud enabled video doorbell is pretty impressive.
https://wyze.com/wyze-doorbell.html

i'm a wyze fan but if you look at the installation video for the new doorbell, it looks like it just clips into place and someone can just pull it off the wall. with that said, it's only $30 which is probably a great deal in the end.