Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Looking to add some Light switches with alexa capability. I dont have the budget to buy 20+ switches at once , but id like to buy 1-2 per month over the next year. Some switches will need dimmer capability, but not all.

From what i can tell, TP Link and Wemo dont need a hub, but seem to lack dimming.

Lutron seems nice, but is more $ AND requires a hub.

Leviton seems to check all the boxes.

Should i avoid mixing brands throughout the house, if i find a deal? Alexa probably wont care, right?

Any help is appreciated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
I can get this for $100. Good deal? http://i.imgur.com/IvPwPsL.jpg

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Thomamelas posted:

I haven't seen Zmodo pop up for a few years, so it's possible that they have fixed their issues. But they used to have a reputation for their kits arriving with DOA cameras and firmware mismatches that would cause things to not communicate. Without the model number I can't tell you anything worthwhile about the camera specs.

Cant they just update FW once connected to an ISP?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Thomamelas posted:

From what I've read about others experiences, the camera firmware is updated via the NVR. So the mismatch prevents them from talking. Which seems like a huge red flag for a bunch of reasons.

Its a model ZP NL 18

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Thomamelas posted:

And the model numbers for the cameras?

I ended up passing on that deal. I took a risk and ordered this on a $116 lightning deal
JOOAN 2MP TVI Security Camera System 4 X 1080P Weatherproof TVI Camera with 3.6mm Lens And 1080N 8CH DVR Recorder Support AHD/TVI/CVBS- No Hard Drive https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K9ZXRLO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_IOasAbRXBVMYJ

I dont need wireless in my setup, and ive got loads of spare HDDs laying around.

Ill report back on how it goes

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
TLDR...

Anyone tried this?
WyzeCam: Buy Now $19.99 - www.wyzecam.comhttps://www.wyzecam.com/product/wyze-cam-v2/

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Thomamelas posted:

I've seen testing of it and it doesn't come off well.

Basically the motion detection is also twitchy as hell with small lighting changes triggering it. It's not ready for prime time and the $20 is better spent by putting it in the bank.

I ordered one. Its not much of risk at $20. Ill share my thoughts after ive had a chance to play with it

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Binary Badger posted:

I just got a WyzeCam V2

I got three. For $20, product has the goods.

Edit for more info:

I bought one to try it out. After 2 days, i ordered 2 more. Its not outdoor rated, but i live in a moderate climate, and for $20, i can handle buying more if they fail.

All in, im out about $100 for three, $60 for cams, $10 for shipping, $30 for 3 micro sd cards.

The cameras have free cloud, but its only 12 second clips. Pretty good for basic security, but def get the micro sd card for continuous recording. Sound quality is not great, but at least it has some. I could distinguish the ups truck driving up, but you can barely tell what people are saying when competing against other random outdoor noises.

The video quality and night vision of the V2 is pretty great.

Like Binary Badger, im cheap, and didnt want to spend $ on monthly cloud. Im very pleased so far. My worr is theyll go under or get gobbled up by a competitor who starts charging.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 19, 2018

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Medullah posted:

My sister's ex has been breaking into her house and wrecking stuff, but of course it's when no one is home and she can't prove it. My dad wants to pay for security cameras for her, what would you guys recommend for a not-so-technical person that's fairly easy to set up and monitor?

Wyzecam. Cheap ($20) and no monthly subs. 12 seconds cloud clips, or add a micros sd card for continuous recording

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
My hub spontaneously quit controlling my TCL TV. Power on works, but not power off.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Cornjob posted:

My hub spontaneously quit controlling my TCL TV. Power on works, but not power off.

Reprogrammed. Using Network control instead of IR. All good now.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Shut up Meg posted:

A very interesting recommendation, thanks.

But...only 12seconds of cloud storage? That seems pretty useless unless the thief happens to stare at the camera in the first 10 secs of breaking in

. The Kasa free cloud storage gives you 4hrs of cloud storage (though, only accessible for 2 days)

Add an SD card to each camera to expand from 12 seconds to days.

Also, they have mentioned theyre working on longer cloud notifications.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

I have wyze cams, and sensors all over my house. Integrated with alexa for alarms and alerts. Works great, I love them

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Does a thing such as this exist? I want something that can run an entire alexa routine at the push a button. Im sick of voice controls, especially for routines that get run alot.

I know echo buttons exist, I have some. They only work about 50-75% of the time, and are not exactly an ideal form factor

My dream is either
1. a battery operated wall switch.
2. An app that I can use with a cheap smart device

My problem is that the alexa app (and the echo show) sucks when it comes to quickly accessing and running your favorite routines.

If the alexa app allowed you to create widgets, it would be simple.

I hoe theres some obvious solution im overlooking.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I have two dumb mini-split ACs in different rooms I'd like to control remotely. Is there a decent budget option for this?

Need more info. Are they currently controlled via remote? IR? RF?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Ah, I didn't know that the Harmony had IR extenders, that could work out. Thanks!

Yeah get a Harmony hub for each split. You can learn the commands. If you have a echo plus with temperature sensing, you can trigger alexa routines to send commands based on temp.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Thermopyle posted:

Yes, this is a stupid thing on Google Assistant as well. It's a limitation on Logitech's end that you can get around (again, on Google devices) by creating a Google account for each Harmony Hub and linking those to your Google Home.

Yonomi solves this. I have two hubs. Yonomi allows macros from each to show as unique devices in my
Alexa app

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I've been thinking about potentially getting a smart thermostat recently. How good are they? Are they are really all that using on saving energy/money?

Depends on alot of things. Whats is your home size/type? What type of heat/ac do you have?

The short answer is: theyre nice, and might save you money

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

priznat posted:

My father in law is asking about the best option for cameras for crib monitors, I have the logi circle 2 but that seems like overkill. Any good suggestions? Are the Wyze ones decent?

I have wyze. They work pretty good for the money. Video is good, audio is crap for deciphering talking, but you can tell if a baby is crying, for sure. That said, a regular monitor is better, as has no lag, and good audio.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
I also use wyze. I like it. I also use one on my garage.

They have alexa integration, so we use them to tell us if the kids get up at night, or if any doors open.

Our echos sound a loud alarm if the contact sensors or motion sensors detect anything.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 1, 2020

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

stevewm posted:

Seconding Home Assistant for this. It does well to tie multiple ecosystems together, and it supports a LOT of devices.

They have got it to the point where many users don't even have to touch the YAML config files directly anymore, everything can be done with the GUI.

Im pretty smart, and the last time I looked at home assistant, I went crosseyed.

I *just* wanted to put a tablet in the kitchen that would act as controller to run a few switches, wyze cams, and some alexa routines.

Has it changed much in 6 months? I need a stwp by step.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Motronic posted:

It has absolutely changed a ton. Meaningful auto discovery of a lot of things, no more editing YAML files needed if you stick to the common stuff that's been put in the GUI (a LOT of it including zwave) and a meaningful GUI that is customizable enough to use on tablets.

When I started it was editing YAML files and using a 3rd party dashboard system.

Fiddled again. Still perplexed. How can I add alexa routines to the home assistant interface?

Also, I have wyze lights, and gosund (smart life) switches, neither of which seems to Home assistant compatible.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

stevewm posted:

To use the native Alexa integration,you have to subscribe to "Nabu Casa", (https://www.nabucasa.com/) which is their $5 per month thing that lets you easily access Home Assistant outside your network, and also gives a endpoint for Alexa and Google Home to use for native integration. You can then expose entities to Alexa... After you select which entities in Home Assistant to expose, they will be picked up by Alexa automatically when you install the Home Assistant skill on Alexa..

As for Wyze bulbs... Those are quite new and the API for those was just recently figured out, it has not been integrated into the mainline release yet.. It is available as a custom component though: https://github.com/JoshuaMulliken/ha-wyzeapi

The Gosund Smart Life switches are yet another Tuya based product. They will work with the Tuya integration: https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/tuya (this is one of the few where you still have to add it to the config file manually) A ton of cheap HA stuff out there is Tuya based.

My desire for alexa integration is the opposite (but also i dont fully understand HA yet). I dont need alexa to control HA.

I want alexa routines to be buttons on the Home assistant UI. Is that part of nabu casa?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

stevewm posted:

Ah no... Not as far as I know. Generally people do the opposite. Setup the routine in HA (called scripts/automations in HA).

From what i have read, it seems i can do 90% of what i need just using alexa routines. I wanted to add HA to get some extra functions, but mainly, i jst want a touchscreen to have easy control of every routine i have created, as well as easy access to specific devices.

HA doesnt seem to quite meet this need for mw, yet.

If only alexa allowed routines to be home screen widgets on my phone, problem would be solved.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Is there any way to execute alexa routines via a button push, rather than opening the alexa app and navigating the alway re-sorting list of routines? Voice control is nice sometimes, but theres also alot of room for error with voice control.

I just want all my favorite routines as indavidual icons on my phone. It seems as thought this would be a simple fix for amazon if they added “favorites” page, or allowed home screen widgets.

I know echo buttons are a thing, but they kinda suck.
I tried home assistant but its over my head. And it doesnt seem to support all my gadgets.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 17, 2020

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Rick posted:

I've not tested this out, but Hue Taps allegedly support Alexa routines. They definitely work with Apple Home scenes and it's not perfect (like sometimes just unpredictable things happen) but it's overall pretty good.

Looks like those are $50, and require the $60 philips hue bridge .

If they do indeed support routines, Its expensive, but in my case possibly worth it

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

wolrah posted:

Most Hue devices can be used with generic Zigbee implementations, but it seems that the Tap switch in particular uses a low-power "Zigbee Green Power" mode (unsurprising since they're battery-free and run entirely off power generated from the button press) which is not widely supported by generic bridges. Most other Hue devices use Zigbee Light Link that is very well supported.

I have an echo plus, which has built in zigbee. Would that work?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

DaveSauce posted:

I'll be honest, my experience with Harmony is that it's sketchy at best. Used to use it before we got a smart TV and sling.

The main issue is that it's core function is based on assumptions. It has zero feedback; it just blasts IR commands out and has to assume it works. If the timing is off, or if the command isn't received, then everything is out of sync and you have to manually futz with things to get them back in line with what Harmony thinks is going on.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you're using HA, then view Harmony as a temporary solution. HA can do a lot, but I think ultimately Harmony is going to be the limiting factor here.

edit: lol same time post

HA is going to be awesome long term, especially if you have other smart home stuff. Keep at it and keep learning, the more you learn the more you'll want to use it.

These are basically all IR complaints, not Harmony complaints. Tweaks to the programming can eliminate 98% of all the timing issues. Also, many devices support IP control, which the Hub supporte, and further adds to reliability.

I work with crestron, AMX, and HA, theyre all great, but the fuckery involved those far outweighs the fuckery required to get a harmony hub to control a home theater.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Anyone tried this? My tablet is up to date but i dont have this feature yet

https://www.techhive.com/article/3587548/touch-enabled-dashboard-for-smart-devices-coming-to-amazon-fire-tablets.html

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Re-asking this... my fire tablet still doesn’t have it, curious if anyone has tried it

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Smart home dashboard finally added to my fire tablet. Loving it.

Executing routines with a touchscreen rather than voice command is so much more practical in my house

https://www.engadget.com/amazon-fire-tablet-smart-home-dashboard-alexa-171540337.html

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
My kitchen has 5 light switches.

1 switch for dining area
1 switch for over sink/ cans over countertops
1 switch for ceiling can lights by cabinets
2 switches at opposite ends of the room that are wired as 3-way for the cans that span the entire kitchen/dining room

In order to turn all the lights on, i have to walk to 3 different places in the kitchen to tuen them all on.

Id like to have the ability control all the lights with a single switch that has presets for all the lights, with dimming ability…. preferably at two or all of the locations. Does the 2 three-way switches complicate things?

Im assuming a bridge type system can link them all?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'm going to guess that a Lutron Caseta dimmer with a bunch of wall-mounted Pico remotes could handle them all on one. If you get a dimmer with a neutral required, they have the "favorite" button in the middle, where you can set a favorite dim level and it will instantly go to that. The Pico remote also has a favorite button.

Thank you. So no issue with three way switches?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

priznat posted:

I just feel having 2 locking points is better than 1, and that’s with reinforcing the strike plate and frame area.

Just a preference, would feel weird not having it. I expect this to be a bone of great contention!

Imagine some one managing to get the deadbolt undone, and then going, “”darn! They have a locking knob too!!! I give up.”

The benefit of locking windows and doors is to discourage casual B&E thieves, like wacky neighbors or landlords who like to wander in. If someone wants to get into your house bad enough that a deadbolt wont stop them, theyll get in. On a wood door frame, with a wood or fiber door; Getting past a deadbolt takes a pretty solid hit. A knob lock is more for privacy in an interior door for bathrooms and bedrooms.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
I took a chance and ordered a Caavo control center for my living room. Epson projector, denon AVR, appletv, Wii. I was a little worried because it looks like maybe theyre dropping this model and chasing a new business model. It works great. My needs on the living room system are simple. Control the gear without line of sight IR. Works great. No complex automations needed, kid friendly. It works.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Motronic posted:

For everyone with the tiny switch box issues that may not know, just go buy yourself a bunch of Wago 221s in various configurations: https://www.wago.com/us/discover-wire-and-splicing-connectors/221
Where have these been all my life. I picked these up because of you. Turns a switch rewire from a 30 minute job to a 5 minute job. Thanks!

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

VelociBacon posted:

I'm moving into my first owned condo in about a month. I've never really paid a lot of attention to smart home stuff because I was living in a 1960s built rented apartment and I didn't even have thermostat control in my own unit. I do heavily use 6-8 smart plugs (like the ones that sit between the device's power cord and the wall outlet) but that's about it.

Are smart home things worthwhile? My place was renovated in 2015 and is pretty modern as far as condos go in my area but nothing 'smart' was built in. I wouldn't need any security stuff or automation really but this is as far as I can tell also the smart home thread. I've heard of nest thermostats which I think aren't even around anymore, not sure if that world is worth hopping into.

I guess I'm not really sure what I'm asking besides to try to figure out if there are certain ecosystems of products in this space that are huge goon favorites that I would benefit by installing and getting used to from the beginning and not trying to shoehorn into my daily life in a few years.

In my case i have a 44 year old house that needed new switches and outlets, as many of the existing ones were original and very worn. The cost to put in smart switches was about $10-12 per switch, as opposed to about $5-7 for regular decora. Switches in my house was very wierd, due to a 20 year old remodel, and i had multiple switch locations for multiple rooms. I tried a few different brands and found that Kasa gave me what i wanted, for the most reasonable price. Can now turn on all the kitchen lights with one switch if needed.

Programming one switch to group multiple switches together, multiple presets, homekit and alexa integration, and a nice tactile feel.

It also has the ability to control the fade/on off times, which is seems like a silly feature to care about, but its really nice.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
TLDR: HomeKit with Homebridge is great.

Recently I decided to migrate away from Amazon/Wyze ecosystem into Home Assistant and a better camera system. After getting all set up, with one Rpi running HA, and a second running hone bridge, i think ive come to the realization that HomeKit + Homebridge is the way to go.

I now have TPLink Kasa lights/switches, and a Eufy camera. Everything in HomeKit is working great, and the wife loves the apple integration . It doesnt do as much as HA, but what it does do, it does perfectly. With homebridge, I should be able to integrate some of the missing items (ceiling fans, etc).

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

fletcher posted:

Hmm good question. I guess it's mainly just so I know if one of them is going off and I'm not at home. Depending on what is setting if off, that information may be of limited value. I've got sprinklers in my house, but it still seems like it might be useful to know when a smoke/co2 detector is going off though.

Many cameras have a setting to alert you if they hear alarms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Gangringo posted:

I'm buying a new house and I would like to at least partially automate it. I'm already fairly invested in the hue ecosystem but I would like to add 2-3 POE outdoor cameras with motion sensor lights, a video doorbell, and automatic deadbolts.

What I'm really keen on is an automatic lock that "just works" like a modern car fob does where I just have to walk up and open the door without fiddling with an app.

Edit: are there any systems that allow usage via SMS so I can give people access without talking them through installing an app and making an account?

Many locks have this feature, but you can also get it to work with a homekit compatible lock, that can detect your phone, additionally/alternatively, you could add nfc tags to your house to treat your phone like the key. You can just tap the hidden tag and lock/unlock your door. Most locks have guest codes with time windows you can preset.

After fiddling with alexa/homeassistant/IFTTT, and the native features many devices offer, i can say that that HomeKit (with a RPi running HomeBridge to add in some devices thay arent natively HomeKit) is the most stable and reliable platform Ive used. Its also not complicated to set up.

Alexa is good for those on a budget, but in my experience doeant quite hit the robust/stable/ easy to use balance.

IFTTT and Home assistant is powerful, but not suited to normal humans. Its for power users only.

HomeKit doesnt let you get into a rabbit hole
Of customizing your UI, but if youre invested in the apple ecosystem, the combo of iphones, ipads, appletvs, and Homebridge make everything “just work” within a UI youre already using everyday.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 26, 2022