Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackknight5k
Oct 22, 2008
In the last month a few strange things happened in/around my house. A few weeks ago I went to get into my car and saw that my center console and both dash consoles were open. I thought it may had been my cousin, who was staying with us, had left something in my car and went to find it. We talked to her later and she said it wasn't her. Then, just a few days ago my wife came home to our sunroom's outside door being open. It's a very difficult door to open so she believes someone opened it, but the door between the sunroom and the main house has a deadbolt on it that we keep locked when it's not in use.

She's pretty scared, and I'm just worried about some of the items that can be stolen in our house so I've been looking into camera and security systems. I've skimmed this thread and looked at some of the offerings, and right now the smarthings looks like it could be a good product, and some of what the home security store has to offer looks good as well. Our local telecom company, Comporium, also offers home monitoring service with a discounted price to buy equipment.

After the possible car break-in I backed this Mass Drop to throw up outside to watch my driveway and now possibly our sunroom. I'm sure it isn't the best system, and I need to expand the memory, but now after it seems someone may have tried to enter our home I'd like to get something more that will monitor entry into our house.

These are my thoughts, so please educate me if I'm wrong. I feel like monitoring services are less important now that we have smartphones that can receive the alerts, so I'm leaning away from Comporium. It seems that after the $99 install and the $40/mo I could buy a better system after 6 months that will text me (and theirs texts me as well...).

There is one additional area of my house I'd like a camera in order to obtain footage of someone if they steal certain items that would lead to federal prosecution for them, but I believe it would need to be smaller than what's in the mass drop. I think the smarthings camera looks good but for 100 bucks it seems a bit steep, and it also seems to be reliant upon another motion sensor to activate.

I feel the most important part of the system would be the door sensors and a verbal "gtfo" alarm, which it doesn't look like smarthings has on their site, though I read in here there is a 3rd party offering?

My last concern is installation, I might be in the network security field but I have never been good at running wires, and it gives me slight anxiety thinking about making those kinds of modifications to our home. We're considering selling the home within the next year or two, which brings up another point - would a security system increase the value of our home? I'd think maybe the compoirum system would be the one to increase the value, since I think most normal people would go in for the monitoring.

Anyway, if anyone would feel free to response to refute/support my points or educate me on this I'd appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackknight5k
Oct 22, 2008

BigFactory posted:

A professionally installed alarm system could be a selling feature, although who knows if you can get back what you put into it. Home brew system not so much.

Thanks, I'm going to talk to my realtor friend (who is also my realtor) and see what she says, if she says it won't increase the value much I may go with a home brew system because I've always been interested in home automation.

BigFactory posted:

What kind of stuff are you trying to monitor in your secret vault there?

OPSEC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding, you could probably figure out if you looked through my post history. I've got quite a few firearms, including 3 NFA items. If those are stolen it's a federal felony and the ATF gets involved. From what I understand, when the ATF gets involved in an NFA item theft they usually solve it fairly quickly. I want to have footage to give them in case it happens.