Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Currently building a Domoticz setup on a Raspberry Pi 3 using an RFLink for bunch of different makes of 433 Mhz sockets & sensors I have scattered around, and an Aoetec Gen 5 Z-wave usb stick for some new Z-Wave bits. I've got a Z-Wave LED lightbulb coming this week to start dipping my toe into controlling some lighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Now I've setup some home automation I'm surprised theres now a moral dilemma - With the RFLink and Domoticz I can not only see my 433Mhz devices, I can also see other people's devices on my street.

After a few beers I may give into temptation and see whose lights I can turn on and off tonight :)

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Lazyhound posted:

Is it really impossible to turn on Philips Lux bulbs without opening the app and dragging individual sliders?

ahahahahahaha

I use the Philips wireless Dimmer - has on/off buttons and 2 buttons for dimming. I also have it linked in Domoticz so I can control also control the bulbs with any other switches (e.g. Z-wave remote).

I did hit one interesting issue with the Philips bulbs - they stopped responding when I was running a heavy download over wifi - the wifi was interfering with the Zigbee due to the overlapping spectrum. With normal browsing this isn't an issue, but when I'm throwing gigs over wifi then it saturates. Luckily my wifi router and devices also support 5Ghz so I bumped them all to that and now theres no conflict.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
A tip for Hue users - if you use 2.4Ghz wifi then move your hue hub as far away from your wifi router as you can. I found even an 'idle' wifi was reducing the Hue reliability when the Hue hub was sat 1 foot from the wifi router.

Now the Hue hub is in another room about 20 feet away I've found that my Hue wireless dimmers (which are in every room) have gone from 'have to press 5 times to switch on' to being 100% reliable on the first button push.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Has anyone played with any of the Python APIs for Ring devices ? I currently run Domoticz for home automation on a Raspberry Pi and was thinking about using some python to control the light and siren on a Ring floodlight and then link that to dummy switches in Domoticz.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Ring Alarm is finally launching in the UK next month so I'll give it a go. I was surprised the cost of the monitoring is inline with the American pricing (£8 a month or £80/year) so I'll probably opt for that too.

I already have some Z-Wave gear controlled by a Raspberry Pi so I'll be interested in also seeing the states of the Ring sensors e.g. If the alarm goes off turn on all the lights inside and outside the house.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Any thoughts on the Abode smart alarm compared to Simplisafe ? I'm thinking about moving away from the Ring alarm due to the continued lack of additional sensors/sirens, Alexa Guard or even real monitoring in the UK. In the UK with Ring you just get the motion and contact sensors and thats it. The 'monitoring' is just a round-robin automated call to your number list with no human operator and no police called ever.

Both Abode and Simplisafe would allow me to have additional external and internal sirens, real monitoring with a human in the loop, lots more options for sensors etc

My initial feeling is Abode seems to be a better platform but I'm a little concerned as to whether they'll still exist in a couple of years. Simplisafe appears to be quite substantial in the market so I'd have more confidence of their continued existance.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I've pre-ordered the Abode now. I emailed them with a query and got a good friendly response that wasn't a template cut'n'paste.

I'm no-longer concerned about the viability of the company as they are now owned by a substantial smart automation company (also owns Fibaro), and their UK partner is a 50+ year established security/technology company (not 2 guys with a unit on an industrial park).

When I get it in a week or 2 I'll post some pictures !

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Just installed an Abode smart alarm system - it was just released in the UK this month after having been out in America for years.

I'm really quite pleased with it - has a lot more feature and options than the Ring alarm I replaced, and some things that other smart alarms don't offer.

Optional external siren - nice and loud to piss off the neighbours - its traditional in the UK !

The ability to use the alarm triggered state with home automation (Ring don't allow this). You can detect this and act on it based on either IFTTT or the native CUE automation - I do both.

When the alarm goes off the sirens all go off expected but I also have IFTTT turn on all every light in the house, and the CUE native automation uses it's Sonos integration to blast out a very angry dog noise from the Sonos speakers

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I really rate the Abode alarm - I replaced my Ring alarm with the Abode 4 months ago and still love it.

For me the significant benefits over Ring were,

Real additional sirens - both indoor and outdoor. I have 2 outdoor sirens and JEBUS they are loud (can adjust it down if you want). Simply perfect - I want piss off the whole street if my alarm goes off.

Can apply automations to the alarm state - With Ring I was limited to Armed/Disarmed. With Abode I can do automations also based on whether the alarm is actually going off. So when my alarm goes off it will also turn on all the lights in the house, trigger 'Ride of the Valyries' at max volume through the Sonos etc

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
A very busy wifi router can drown out a huehub if they are next to each other. When mine were on the same shelf a max speed wifi download would stop the hues from responding.

Changing to 5Ghz wifi and moving the huehub a little resolved it.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Temporarily tether it through your phone maybe ?

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I just setup remote access of my Blueiris system using zerotier and I'm super impressed. No poking holes in the firewall and everything is nice and fast.

I'm using the Android client over 4g with only a single bar of signal on the phone and its still decent. The Blueiris Pc has a 1Gb fibre internet connection which of course doesn't hurt !

Zerotier is free which is nice. I followed this video which all worked for me without any dramas,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmqrK2Fomqw

Next I'll probably add my home automation system to it as well - its Domoticz running on a Linux VM.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I saw an interesting video showing the deterrent effect of visible cameras for home security. A episode of 'The first 48' documentary series was following the hunt for a spree home invasion/rapist/killer and one lucky home owner had a clip of the guy walking up to their house and immediately turn around when he saw the camera at the door.

I guess that was $100 well spent.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I use BI 5 and record 24x7 - I like the look of deepstack but want to play with things a bit more so I'm going to try tensorflow lite on a raspberry pi 4 with a coral usb accelerator looking at a substream.

I've been wanting to find a project for the pi so doing some smart object detection locally for the IP cameras sounds fun.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

arbybaconator posted:

Any good suggestions for POE cameras that have a quality ecosystem (remote access outside local network, history, integration with a visual "hub" of some sort, etc)

I use a Reolink system with NVR. The remote access can be turned on/off as you desire and doesn't need any subscription or opening any hole in your firewall. If remote access is enabled then the NVR will connect to a cloud server which acts as the man in the middle for your phone client to connect to.

This isn't some random box in China - for me in the UK its a Microsoft Azure cloud server in Ireland, and I believe other locations also have a similar regional servers.

Previously I was using Blue-iris on a Pc with a mix of Hik & Dahua cameras but this was showing its age and eating electricity. The NVR with 4 cameras barely pulls 30W for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I currently use a Reolink NVR with some 4k cameras - very happy with it. Then I saw I could get the new Reolink colour night vision camera for £66 in the sales so grabbed one.

I have to say I am super impressed with it. The resolution is lower (2560*1440) but the colour night vision is really quite impressive. I've got it in a location with no direct light at all - The only light is just street lights reflecting off other houses, and the picture is great.

I haven't enabled the built-in lights yet, but saw they can be configured to trigger based on movement, or detection of people/animals/cars. All of this is local - no cloud AI needed for the detection.