Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I use an Android phone and my wife uses Apple. Right now I have some small smart stuff (mainly hue, nest and alexa) but in my new house I'm planning on automating more stuff.

What's the recommended approach here for automation/iot glue? I'm buying new and get to run cat 6 everywhere I need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Perfect thanks

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Following the above, is there a way I can use my hue bulbs without the bridge with home assistant? Or is that needed?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
So I'm about to close on my new house, I have cat 6 run everywhere and I'm hyped! Moving out of my 2 bedroom apartment so I'm excited to do all the smart home stuff.

What is the gooncensus on what brands/ecosystems to look for? Stuff I'm interested in:

* Dome/Inside/Outside cameras
* Garage Doors
* Smoke Detectors et el
* Smart locks
* Smart Light switches
* Doorbell
* Home security system (?)
* Blinds?

or any other smart stuff I should look into?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm okay with cloud, I already have a unifi UDM and some access points. Are their cameras worth getting if I'm already halfway set up on the hardware?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Gotcha. I do have a little cluster of NUCs and pis I can run stuff on, and Home Assistant running local as well.

Also the wife factor I'm trying to figure out too.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Less Fat Luke posted:

Oh yeah perfect, a NUC is great for Blue Iris. There's a zillion reasonably priced RTSP/ONVIF cameras that would work just fine with it.

The cameras in the place I moved into were all analog Coax/BNC (except the aforementioned doorbell) and I grabbed a cheap 8-port capture card off of eBay and Blue Iris handles running motion detection across 5 cameras on a loving ancient 3770. It's very resource-friendly.

Any recommendations on cameras? I kind of like having the storage on the UDM so the Unifi cameras are attractive to me.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
For Home Assistant, is it worth running off a Pi or is the Docker container good? I'm trying to understand the differences between "Home Assistant OS" and the other methods of install.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I think I settled on lutron caseta for switches and they seem to have good wife acceptance thus far.

Is there anything fancy I can do with outlets themselves? Add USB or whatever? Metering? Invest my home automation time into something else instead?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Double post, but does this thing https://github.com/hass-emulated-hue/core still require me to have the Hue bridge as well? I can't tell from the docs.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah which is a bummer. I also like being able to keep my bridge on my iotcrap network all isolated from HA etc

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
About how many lutron or smart switches are you goons using per area? In my new house I have a bunch of triple plate switches that I'm trying to find out how to buy for.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
How about buying advice for smart locks? I have a deadbolt/knob on my front door and just a knob on my interior garage I want to have as well.

For wife acceptance, I've been looking at schlange - what's the deal with the knob/handles they sell? Just got matching colors?

What are my options for smart lock with just a knob?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
On the front door I want a deadbolt... The garage ingress is inside but I'd still like to be able to lock it for peace of mind, and I'd like to not have a deadbolt there.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Double post, but wanted to see too - what are goons using for sensors? Using homeassistant/Lutron/Hue and I have a zigbee/zwave stick if needed.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What are you goons doing for smart buttons? I have a new home and just installed a Phyn water sensor under my main kitchen sink, which is great.

However, there is only one outlet under the sink and it is controlled by a switch (same one the disposal is on) - which is OK because it's a pain in the rear end for the switch to turn on the disposal (we have to bend down/open cabinets instead of it being on the wall).

I'd like to add a smart switch and a smart button to control it, something with high Wife Acceptance Factor would be great. I have a few Wyze and smart outlets but the button space looks interesting, to say the least.

Is flic good? I'm running Home Assistant and saw the integration, looks nice.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Motronic posted:

You should install a proper vacuum switch: https://www.homedepot.com/p/InSinkE...rc=ds&gclsrc=ds not battery powered home automation things.

This would require me to drill into my counter, correct? Not thrilled but I'll check with the wife.

Thanks.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Another opinion, I have a UDM pro and a few of the cameras/doorbells and think it's very good. I haven't used anything else though.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What are you goons using for contact sensors? Was looking at these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071YQCWQM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_J3A1N71RPGX0TDNDN2EG

e: I'm running Home Assistant and have a ZigBee/zwave stick but would like to avoid another hub if possible.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Anyone using Flair smart vents? I have a perfect use case for one, but am using nest and the temp sensors it uses aren't great for my room and rest of house.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Less Fat Luke posted:

Yep a whole bunch, really helped even out the rooms at my place. Everything closest to the HVAC system gets colder much more quickly so the Flair connected to Ecobee room sensors works great for me. You can also buy the Flair sensors if the Nest ones aren't working for you.

I'm mainly concerned with the "works with nest" stuff... Since I need a puck for each vent... Either way I'm going to test it out and report back.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm using home assistant and unifi protect, including the doorbell. It's been great.

What are some good options for a doorbell/chime system? I installed a transformer to power the doorbell but now the old chime is sticking out and is no longer passing wife acceptance.

I have aquara sensors on all my doors as well so hopefully I can DIY a decent system. Would the ring chime be a decent choice?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I've been putting together a bunch of ZigBee based automations using the Aqara contact sensors and stuff. I've also set up water leak sensors everywhere which is also sweet and cool.

Any other things I should look at adding to my setup? Is there such thing as a gas leak detector?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Have been using the Nvidia shield for our main streaming box plus YouTube tv, which is great. However, parents can't grasp the concept when they stay over, so me or the wife end up having to help every time, which sucks.

Any pointers on how I can make or buy a smart remote with maybe one or two buttons and a "channel" surfing button for YouTube tv? Similar to what they are used to at home.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I have a bunch of Unifi cameras which are really good, but they're also my first camera setup. The unifi ecosystem is silly sometimes, but it has done everything I want.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I've got a bunch of Aqara sensors which are great. However, the water sensors suck poo poo and go offline all the time.

Anything in this price point or +/- $40 USD I can look at? Zigbee would be nice but I do have Zwave stuff as well.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
How are caseta switches supposed to work when you have one on each side of a circuit?

I have two switches at the front of my home that control exterior lights. I have to have the first switch "on" for the second one to work. Should I just cap all the wires on the second switch and use a Pico remote thing there? I'm quite confused in general at Caseta's docs.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Thanks for the input re: Caseta. I was going nuts trying to figure it out but the Pico approach is reasonable and works well enough.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I have a schlage Zwave lock which is great - however, it currently says "Open" when the door is shut for the status in my Home Assistant install. Is there a way to easily re-calibrate this?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The only bolt in question is me, for not realizing this. I'm truly a moron

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Maybe not the best thread for this question, but does anyone have suggestions for if it is possible to get my desktop PC to play over my sonos devices easily?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What are you using for the radar card?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What's a good place to look for automations w/ home assistant/alexa/etc? I currently use home assistant to do small things like when I open a door, having it play a chime throughout the house. But I'm interested in best practices and how to limit latency/coordinate across devices. Haven't even started with lighting yet either - like turning on lights when opening doors and things w/r/t timers and actual energy savings.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Connect it direct to home assistant.

Also today I went through the process of setting up home bridge for the sole purpose of the nest integration with HA which is much better than the native one because it supports sensors and protect.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Anyone have recommendations on camera mounts/tripods with high spouse acceptance factor? We have a bunch of Unifi instant cams that I have a standard tripod thread.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Slash posted:

Here’s my latest version of HA. Ring, Nest, Hue, Shelly light switches, Smart cat flap, Xiaomi window and temperature sensors, Sonos a few custom sensors and other integrations. Happy to answer questions about it.

e: happy to answer questions about home automation and Lovelace config

What are you using for the TV expandable card? Looks sweet, I'm stealing some of this

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Any preferences on the Schlage Sense vs Yale Assure? Looking for a HomeKit-compatible deadbolt.

I recently installed a non-smart Yale Assure lever keypad lock on my laundry room because the Schlage non-smart one had bad reviews about the mechanicals on it.

One with a key would be preferred just as a backup.

I have Schlage on my interior entryways and exteriors aside from a sliding glass patio door (no good options here?)

I have an Encode (Wifi) deadbolt on my front door, it's fine. I think alexa and google, doesn't work with home assistant so I'm looking to change that, but right now the Schlage app has very high wife acceptance so I'm hard pressed to find something else there.

I have a sense on everywhere else, and it's great - on my garage interior I have the keypad/handle model and I have no complaints, it joined my Zwave network fine and was immediately available in Home assistant.

Both have hardware keys.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I think the Pro dimmers have a neutral, pretty sure. I'll post when I get around to replacing my current non-pro ones this weekend.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Less Fat Luke posted:

The Lutron Caseta line has low voltage dimmers that should do the trick (with neutral required), PD-5NE-WH with a 10w minimum as well:

https://www.amazon.ca/Lutron-Caseta-Wireless-Electronic-Wall/dp/B01M22SK1W

Edit: beaten but yeah the low voltage ones seem to be what you want to prevent flickering.

Yeah I use these

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Man I wish the Hue dimmers could be mounted in a multi-gang junction box.

I bought one of the ones off Etsy for shits and giggles, if someone made a Decora snap version that would be maybe more optimal. I dislike seeing screws on my wall plates :goonsay:

The hue dimmer is a great scene controller for HA too. I just finished programming my den with the hue remote as a scene controller, and my Lutron with some pretty neat single/double/triple press automations. It's not perfect but I've got both Hue and Caseta playing nicely together this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Re: integration chat, I recently discovered Home bridge as a decent... Bridge app to use with Home assistant. The nest integration is sweet and gives me access to protect presence detection and nest sensors as well. The plugin ecosystem looks pretty good as well.