Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Namlemez posted:

Vera probably has the biggest user community and plugins, though from what I read isn't super friendly.

http://getvera.com/

I've had mine since the beginning of the month. I chose it based on the community, and it seemed reasonably well established (for the cheaper end of the HA market).

Well, I've had a couple of niggly problems so I send in an email to support-13th October. 22nd October I get a reply asking me to turn on remote support, I do this and as of today have heard nothing else since, even with a couple of follow up emails from myself.

Unbelievable. And my return period is probably going to elapse now because I had the silly idea that an email to support would have me up and running and happy with the device!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Semi related, I realised my vera is less web dependent than I thought it was after a router outage recently.
I wouldn't have been able to control anything from my phone, but everything that was z-wave based, remotes, lamps etc all carried on working regardless.
So my thermostat was still talking to my boiler and all my scheduling (lights + heating) in Vera carried on too.

Pretty glad about it actually, because I wasnt at home at the time and my wife would have been sat there in the dark and cold otherwise...

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

stevewm posted:

Only thing I can say is I briefly tried OpenHab. I quickly got frustrated with it. Not to mention couldn't find a decent GUI for it at the time. I found HA and never looked back. Getting ZWave working was a little hairy since it uses a separate OpenZWave library for it.

Getting the Echo working is as simple as adding "emulated_hue:" to your configuration.yaml. (Though I think for new installs it is there by default.) Once you have done that and restarted HA, tell Alexa to discover devices. It should find all switches and dimmers by default. Dimmers automatically work with commands such as "Alexa, dim left lamp to 50", or "dim left lamp to half", etc... Dunno about fan controls as I don't have any of those.

As a side effect of using the emulated Hue bridge, you can only use On/Off/Dim commands. So to activate a Scene or Script you have to use the ON command. For example I have a scene called "Movie Mode" To activate it, I say "Alexa, turn on Movie Mode".

I used these instructions: https://home-assistant.io/getting-started/installation-virtualenv/ to install HA on a headless virtualbox Ubuntu 16.04 VM running on my home server. Alternatively they also have a all-in-one script that will install everything in one go on a Raspberry Pi 2 or 3. (3 recommended) https://home-assistant.io/getting-started/installation-raspberry-pi-all-in-one/

Thanks for the heads up on hass. I haven't got my echo yet, but set up hass which was pretty straight forward and connected it to my Vera (which was super easy), to try it all out and it's really neat. The automatic history is cool, something I often wanted Vera to do but never got round to looking in to how to do it.

I tried it on a mk1 RPi but it kept freezing during the install, might have been the power supply I was using, but had a go on windows instead and it installed easily and runs great so far.

I've turned on the emulated hue, but without my echo I don't know how to try if it's working yet.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Balls. Have been using ha-bridge for my echo & harmony hub to control my Vera zwave stuff for a while now. I signed up for the Vera/alexa beta but never bothered setting it up as ha-b worked fine.

Just killed ha-bridge to set up the Vera skill now it's out of beta, seems to work fine so far. Also set up the harmony skill at the same time, and that seems like an improvement based on the set up, though not done much actual testing with Alexa yet.

But totally forgot the harmony hub/remote doesn't talk to Vera! So need to switch ha-bridge back on just for that.

Really surprising that there's nothing to let harmony hub & Vera communicate directly - well theres the hub extender, but that seems totally unnecessary and isn't widely available anyway.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Organic Lube User posted:

Any recommendations for a simple wifi cam to use as basically a baby monitor? I've got a Yi Home camera, and it's okay, but every now and then it'll spazz out and start rapidly switching between night vision and normal mode, which wouldn't be a major issue except for the audible "click" the camera makes when it does this, which is actually loud enough to wake my baby up. I go into the settings and toggle the night vision on and off but it really seems to make no actual difference.
So I'd like something a bit more reliable/useful than that camera. I'd like 1080p, and if it can work with Alexa, all the better.

Kinda leaning towards this cheap feller at the moment: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07BZFP...YMT16D4N53&th=1

I'm going through this a bit at the moment for a second cam, and it seems a bit of a minefield.
I've had a foscam for a couple years that, while I was a little disappointed with for the price, has worked very reliably since I got it.
I've tried a couple of the generic chinese nonbrand/rebrands but have returned them both on reliability/feature grounds - but video quality was better than my foscam!

Trying to a bit more research on specific models/brands hasnt got me very far, though I've found some 'ip cam enthusiasts' online seem to think the Annke I61DR Cube is great value if you can find it in stock for ~$50 or so. Though that one doesnt have the motorised pan and tilt if thats an essential.

Sorry for the unhelpful post.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Perhaps a little on the overly paranoid side, but my wariness has been more on them being screwed in to an always on socket rather than the access to my network side of things.

Particularly when you simultaneously see some with whopping big heatsinks and some with nothing at all.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

I set zigbee2mqtt up and goddamn this is great. 20 bucks worth of hardware and I can use all sorts of cheap zigbee devices with my Home Assistant setup. These Xiaomi devices listed in the wiki are particularly cheap and effective. For example, 10 bucks for a wireless button that can control anything that I have hooked up to HA. I set one on my nightstand that on single press toggles my lamp on and off, double press turns my fan on and off, and long press activates my "good night" scene.

My sniffer/debugger just arrived, though I haven't got anything else ZigBee based at the moment, is all zwave currently.

Are you running mosquitto as your mqtt broker? Are you running it locally?

Is everyone here who is using home assistant automating in yaml, or has anyone gone with node red? I've dipped in and out of Hass in the past, running it mostly as a curiosity along side my Vera. But looking to start a fresh with hass and would like to get too far up a garden path before realising I should have gone a different route.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

stevewm posted:

<Cool Stuff>

I'm looking to set up a couple of little led lights in my workshop that link back to my Home Assistant, to indicate when my wife is home/I have unread emails, that kind of thing.

Do you reckon this would be a decent start point interface for that?

I havent put much thought in to it so far, my original idea was to base it off a Pi Zero.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

stevewm posted:

Perfect start point... Get a cheap ESP device, hookup some LEDs to the GPIO pins, set them up as a GPIO switch in ESPHomeYAML.( https://esphomelib.com/esphomeyaml/components/switch/gpio.html) They will appear as a normal switch in Home Assistant, which you can then turn on/off from any automations inside HA.

Done a bit of reading and yep, looks great for the money! Ordered. Though is going to sit on the shelf until some time is available.

I've got to a point where my RPI3 is running a bit too much now (all in docker containers), so looking to move everything including HA over to a virtual machine on my server.

Have had a quick boot up of HASS.io in a VM and it looks like pretty much everything I have running in dockers now is readily available via the Hass.io addons. So I may go that route for everything.

But the one thing I'm wondering about is Pi-Hole, should I go with the hassio addon, run it in its own separate virtual machine, or leave it running in a docker on the PI?

I'm sure the RPI to virtual machine migration is a pretty common occurrence for home automation addicts enthusiasts, so interested in the paths other people take.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
A few that I've watched videos from are
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLecVrux63S6aYiErxdiy4w
https://www.youtube.com/user/Jfelipe83M
https://www.youtube.com/user/ccostan

But, development on Home Assistant is so active and quick, things can often be outdated or just plane wrong very quickly. So where some of the older videos would say things like "copy and paste this code here", it might not be relevant any more.
But you can still get a general better understanding from watching them. You just then have to refer to the current Home Assistant Docs for current info.

Then when you are up and running, pay attention to the 'breaking changes' in the release notes for new versions before updating.

EDIT...Argh, the forum parsed the channel links in to video format. Fixed.

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 1, 2019

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
zigbee2mqtt is working fine for me with home assistant. I originally renamed entities via the zig2mqtt yaml configs, but it got a bit confusing with the HomeAssistant entity Id and friendly names not being a two way sync.
So when I moved over to HASS.io and started afresh, I didnt rename anything and just leave everything on the zig2mqtt side as automatic with the '0x00158dXXX' names and then sort out friendly names via the Home Assistant UI.
It's working as well as my Zwave stuff, but that is run from HA, via a Vera device, which throws us some idiosyncrasies of it's own.

As for Node Red, I've played with it a few time, but I'm still waiting for that eureka moment as it's not quite clicked for me yet. I dont have a coding background but have managed to automate in YAML pretty well so far.

Has anyone tried the sonoff 443mhz bridge? For about £10 it seems like a pretty straight forward way of making my existing 443mhz door bell 'smart'. And I think I've got some old 443 plugs in a drawer somewhere too that I could bring back to life.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I'll be ordering some of the cheap Xiaomi zigbee ones at some point. The battery on the Xiaomi presence/body sensors that I already have seem to be holding up pretty well.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I wonder if the Hassio addon https://github.com/hassio-addons/addon-vscode counts within those numbers?
Because it's basically a one click install, so I'd imagine that might count for a fair chunk of them. A low barrier of entry.
Though if it's separate, there's likely another load doing it that way too, like I am.

Though it's been incredibly slow on my end since last update. Haven't investigated why yet.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Curiously, there was a guy who used to come to the office in a Toyota Hilux that knocked the WiFi out. Never looked in to it, but it was too consistent to just be coincidence.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I'm a little confused what the point of running hass.io on "bare metal" is.

I do the same thing you do.

Primarily for the "Add-on Store" https://github.com/hassio-addons/ giving almost one click install to additional tools/integrations (docker containers). Some with 'ingress' support https://www.home-assistant.io/blog/2019/04/15/hassio-ingress/
The Hassio supervisor takes care of HA and Add-on updates.

Also the integrated Snapshot/Backup, that backs up all the HA configs and installed Addons. I actually used a snapshot to migrate from a Pi HassOS set up to Hass.io running on Ubuntu.

Although, I'm not actually on "bare metal"...the Ubuntu host is running as a virtual machine.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

I set up the coronavirus sensor for shits and giggles and have it notify my phone when cases and deaths increases by X%. Since I also run the influxdb integration for other stuff I also graph the covid-19 stuff with grafana...

I've only recently got on Grafana & Influxdb. How have you added the second Y axis values on the right?
I've got a Room Temperatures graph, including a 'home average', but I'd like to plot/overlay when the boiler is heating or idle on it too, but haven't figured out how yet.

And on that, I've previously kept my home assistant pretty barebones regarding addons and hacks etc, until recently I've added Appdaemon and the HACS

And the appdaemon script Schedy has really help simplify the yaml needed to run my heating schedule, but made it more capable in the process.
Similarly https://github.com/danobot/entity-controller from the HACS has allowed me to remove of a load of 'on' and 'off' motion detection automations that control lights.

e: Found the right axis toggle. Now to figure out how to plot on/off.

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 10, 2020

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
If you will be looking to utilise home assistant for other things I'll try and help you troubleshoot with what you've got going so far, when I get chance.

But if you're still only /really/ looking for that one alexa-A/C link, there may be an easier option somewhere.

I used to use something called ha-bridge https://github.com/bwssytems/ha-bridge, before I started with home assistant. It may be able to simplify the on off command for alexa. Although I cant remember the setup exactly, and I havent kept up with development for maybe a couple years now.

Another one, which I've never used, but I think might be worth a look is https://www.yonomi.co/yonomi-app ... though having never used it I may be misunderstanding it's relevance to you problem!

All that said, I do recommend Home Assistant if you are interested beyond (endlessly) your voice controlled AC.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
There was a prime day deal for a basic Blink camera for about £15 if you ordered it via Alexa.
I wrongly assumed I could hook it up through Blue Iris and use it as I would any other camera. :(
I also wrongly assumed it would integrate well with Home Assistant. There is an integration, but it's mostly junk.

Not recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I've never had much luck with the action: -delay automations for only having a switch on for a certain length of time.
On the other hand, despite the lack of activity in it's thread, this blueprint has been flawless for me for months now. https://community.home-assistant.io/t/switch-allowance/256624

I think all it actually does is just orders the delay in the automation slightly differently, so the blueprint might be easily omitted. Though I haven't looked at it too much.
Rather than [trigger at switch on -> wait time -> action off], I think it does [trigger when switch has been on for X time -> action Off]