Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I live in Norway, and over here they're mandating new "smartmeters" for power tariff bullshit, at the same time that home automation and LED lighting along with dimmers is all the rage.

Which makes articles like these quite interesting: https://www.utwente.nl/en/news/!/20...rgy-consumption

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

This home automation poo poo is already starting to piss me off. So, Nest Thermostats don't work with SmartThings. Next, I can join my Skybell Video doorbell to the SmartThings hub by logging in to it with the app over wifi, but I guess I can't connect over Z-Wave?

Also, I get that home automation stuff comes with a premium, but loving $55 for a dimmer switch with motion sensor? https://www.amazon.com/GE-26933-Motion-Dimmer-Z-Wave/dp/B071Y38FX5

Z-wave costs as much as it does because it works fairly well and consistently compared to a lot of other stuff. Or at least that's the theory.

That dimmer switch isn't expensive at all considering what you get.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Are all the relays in the same place? You could control them centrally, but you would have to splice into the control wiring or connect additional wires to the terminals - depending on how you decide to do it.

It's a relatively straightforward job if they're all in the same spot, gets somewhat more complicated if they're not. Since the wiring to the relays are "normally open", you can keep the existing wall switches too.

E: Pictures of the relays and the wiring would be very useful :)

Wibla fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 1, 2018

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I have a reasonably small apartment and don't want to gently caress with wiring. Thinking IKEA Trådfri + home assistant might work well? I don't really need insanely advanced stuff.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ledif posted:

I started with Hue bulbs and Home assistant in a reasonably small apartment and it worked fine. I've since expanded a lot but just lights and HA seems like a good starting point. If you're used to switches for lights moving to phone / web browser might be a bit strange (since with smart bulbs the switch should always be 'on' and you control the bulbs instead). Ikea probably has some remote type switches or you can integrate with a voice assistant to alleviate this.

They have these switches that can be wall mounted: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20303317/ I'm getting at least one of those + the gateway and a PIR sensor (for the hallway).

But I'm good with using an app for the most part. I don't generally turn my lights on/off a whole lot during the day, it's mainly for convenience. Using home assistant to do some planned actions ++

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I still remember when 802.11b was new, things have certainly changed.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Leal posted:

Here I am again, asking about wifi stuff. I've tried moving the router as close as possible, updated the firmware, changed the channel on the signal, moved a bunch of electronics off the 2.4 band and onto the 5 band. It hasn't helped, in fact my camera has gotten worse

Just look at this spotty connection. The drat thing is offline half the time now. So how about buying a new router all together? Whats a router with a strong wifi signal?

A dedicated AP with a sector/beam antenna could help?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You can get cheaper sector/beam ap's, ubiquity has some. They're like <150 for a pair.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

I hate HOAs as much as the next guy.

But I also hate that the guy next door to me always has 4 cars in various states of dissasembly in his front yard and has an inflatable pool between his house and mine that never gets used and is a nice breeding ground for mosquitoes.

Not that I've thought through the intricacies of HOAs but rather than eliminating them it might be better to regulate them.

That's what town / city ordnances are for, you don't need a HOA.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Whenever Google buys something like Nest, my first reaction is "RIP their users, they're hosed long-term".

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That looks an awful lot like the FBD programming I do at work as an industrial automation engineer :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Three Olives posted:

Hasn't Google alone come up with like 39 home automation standards that it announced and then abandoned before ever being deployed?

Only 39? :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

99% sure it doesn't.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'm a PLC programmer and just recently started dabbling with Node-RED. At this point I might just write an ikea trådfri gateway library for a Siemens PLC instead... :downs:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Kalman posted:

There’s also (for wireless systems) the potential to use a SDR setup to directly interpret the wireless data sensors are sending out. That’s what I wound up doing with our GE/Interlogix setup.

Look at this guy :science:ing it up :sun:

(That's legit pretty cool)

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Port forwarding? You mean "set up a VPN" right? :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Get a used Lenovo tiny / hp prodesk/elitedesk or similar, they're cheap as chips and more than powerful enough to do what you need.

Pro tip: use proxmox and setup proxmox backup server :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Partycat posted:

Does anyone using home assistant on a Pi3B+ have any comment on how not to break the thing constantly?

It seems like installing an add on or changing a setting can cause the entire thing to just cease functioning, and I'm not sure how to recover it.
I added the ESPHome addon, and enabled DuckDNS/Let's Encrypt. About 15 minutes later the system went offline, and it will not boot up.
I've yet to drag my monitor over to look at it, but being a HassOS install, I believe it is just a stack of various docker containers, and I really don't know how to get out of this installation.

A couple of people suggested that this happens as the Pi is underpowered and something will fail to install/compile/etc but I can't believe that's the case.

Get a (used) (u)SFF machine from Dell/HP/Lenovo and install proxmox on it. Anything from the last few years will work great, and they can often be found for <$150.

Then install proxmox backup server (pbs) and setup differential backups etc.

Partycat posted:

Okay, I can try a computer if I have to re-install it anyway. I have an extra desktop I can boot up for this.

I'm okay with slow, but less okay with the whole install randomly imploding on itself.

Thanks for the advice

You can also use a VM on your PC for loving around with it before you find a permanent "home" for the install.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I think there are multiple vendors of solar inverters that support modbus rs485, some also support other protocols.

Going self-hosted for production tracking is absolutely recommended, but be aware that you probably can't dodge the installers' preferred internet-based solution. They might even mandate it for warranty purposes.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Bobstar posted:

Since isolating my Hue bridge on a non-internet VLAN, I have a feeling it doesn't know what time it is anymore. Is there a way of feeding it time service information from a local server, or do I need to poke a hole in my firewall for it (and if so, what kind of hole)?

I think the Hue uses google ntp servers, for some reason, so open up for time1.google.com and time2.google.com?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

porksmash posted:

I've currently got a house that's just a frame and want to take the opportunity to prewire as much as I can think of for home automation. What would you do if you could?

My current hit list:
  • Lutron Caseta switches for all lights & fans
  • CAT6 runs from somewhere central to every room, a few spots for cameras, and a few APs. Cameras and APs are PoE.
  • Wired door, window, and motion sensors for security & automation

I want motorized blinds but the cost for these can be outrageous. I might make a wire available for power though.

This might be over the top, but considering it's 2022...

A small network closet on every floor, with plenum-rated single mode fibreoptic cables between them. Maybe do fibreoptic runs to behind where you intend to put your TV etc, while you're at it.

https://www.fs.com/de-en/products/57016.html + https://www.fs.com/de-en/products/68103.html as an example between network closets (not super cheap, but it gives you lots of options). You can make do with a regular duplex singlemode fibre cable to endpoints.
Mikrotik gigabit switches with SFP is <$100, gigabit SFP is <$10 (from fs). Then the road to 10 or 40 gbe is really short when/if you feel like upgrading down the line.

Another pro tip that I saw elsewhere: take photos of every wall including conduit/wall boxes etc. before they put in drywall and insulation, that will almost assuredly come in handy later on. I'd put in extra conduit with pull cords ready to go as well.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Price difference is negligible and power draw is as well.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Motronic posted:

So is there a greater than negligible advantage to using single mode?

And what about my other question: is there some sort of standard I'm unaware of here? The last time I came across home gamer optical conversion for A/V type stuff it was all multimode. Has this changed?

First question: It makes little difference, I listed SMF on personal preference. With costs continuing to drop and SMF increasing in popularity for LAN-type applications, I don't really see a point in recommending MMF.

Second question: no, this is purely to have a solid, future proofed network. FTTH / cable bandwidth is only increasing, and copper is less than ideal for >1gbit.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I got IKEA trådfri working across vpn using tailscale... But only if I'm on WiFi (any WiFi will do) :cripes:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ikea Trådfri stuff works better than that poo poo, at least :haw:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I fell down the home assistant rabbit hole :ohdear:

What's the best bang for the buck in room sensors these days? Temp/humidity in particular, maybe Co2 as well.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I found a Senseair S8 sensor in my electronics drawer. Pretty easy to calibrate after adding it to esphome. The numbers it spits out corresponds pretty well with how stuffy a room feels.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

So apparently getting a Toshiba heat pump to play nice with Home Assistant? not a problem.

TIL.

Now I need to get some sort of automation for night/away/home temperature regulation running, because the Toshiba app has no feature like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

ThinkSmart View for $40? that's ... interesting, actually :allears: