Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

wolrah posted:

That looks like a pretty standard 4 wire thermostat, and the manual I found here seems to agree.

https://www.comfortbydesign.net/webapp/GetFile?fid=%7B7E6C1A09-571D-4BFD-B226-DA302B7DE95E%7D

Your red wire is the R wire (24vAC power), which is jumpered to both RH and RC terminals on the thermostat as normal for a combined heating/cooling unit. The white wire is W, which is the heat trigger signal. The black wire is G, which is the fan trigger signal, and last the orange wire is Y, the air conditioning trigger.

A Nest should work with this setup by just moving the wires over to the matching terminals on the Nest base almost exactly as they're currently connected. Nest doesn't need the jumper between the R terminals but it uses the RH terminal as the default in those cases so you'll want to put it there instead of RC.

Being a four wire setup it's possible that the Nest may have trouble charging, or its method of stealing power might inadvertently cause the system to operate in undesirable ways. This is rare but can happen, in which case you will need to either have a new 5+ conductor wire installed with a "C" wire or install something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013LVDQA/. My first-gen Nest has worked fine three different systems in four-wire mode so I wouldn't worry too much about this.

To add to this with my own anecdotal experience, I have a four wire setup and installed a Nest last June, been working pretty normal. Everything wolrah said up there correlates exactly how my old Honeywell was wired and this is how the Nest translated:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I have a question about this Nest/Google thing. I have a Nest thermostat and it is connected to my Google Home. What exactly does this mean for me? Does anything change? I can already control my thermostat via the Home app or Assistant. Is the main worry just for Echo users?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

After Google's comments today, I don't think it will mean much of anything other than that at some point in the future, we'll have to migrate over to using a Google app (which *should* have the same features) instead of a Nest app.

Huh, interesting. So what was all the buzz and Google made a terrible mistake stuff coming from?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Huh, I didn't realize these were consumer products. My power company gave me one for free and its definitely a neat toy

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Since my girlfriend is moving out I need to change the locks. On my main entry door if like to get a smart lock since I have to get new stuff anyways. Two questions. Is it a bad idea to get smart locks? And is this one the Wirecutter recommended a good choice?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I recently reconnected one of my Chamberlain MyQ modules for my garage door. It's the old (~2016) gateway that plugs into the Ethernet port of my router. To open it I can use the MyQ app, or ask Google to tell MyQ to open it. Does buying the Hub integrate it better into Google Home? Also this feels like a dumb question, but since it looks like the hub only includes one door sensor, I'd only be able to control one door right? I'd need to buy another sensor for both of my doors?

I'm only considering it because if I put in the second gateway that's taking up two Ethernet ports and using two bulky power adapters. I'd need to decide if ~$70-80 is worth it for such a minor hassle

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

What are the best options for floodlight security cameras? I keep seeing the Ring one recommended but I'm trying to avoid Ring since my home is pretty much exclusively Google. Alternatively I'm wondering if I even need one and a regular motion activated light (no camera) would suffice

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Hubis posted:

It's my understanding that a motion activated light is pretty effective on its own. As an in between, you could upgrade a standard flood light with something like this: https://shop.homeseer.com/products/homeseer-hs-fls100-z-wave-plus-floodlight-sensor-open-box

That would give you the option to listen for / record timestamps for triggered motion, etc.

Oh, that's an interesting thing, thanks!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

King Burgundy posted:

Eufy has their floodlight camera available now, but it just came on the market, so can't speak to performance yet.

I have 4 of their other cameras and they've been good so far.

Now this is what I'm looking for! Still need to decide if it's necessary but I think I'll lean this way if it is

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I have a very dumb question that I feel like I should know the answer to. I've been getting more smart stuff over the past year and realized it's probably not the most secure. Everything is connected to my network via WiFi on a Ubiquti UAP HD Nano, which is wired to their ER-X. Is there any guide to what I should be doing to make this more secure?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Moey posted:

Do you need those devices to still talk to anything on your LAN, or just to be able to get to the internet?

If it is the latter, Unifi can do a guest network for you. If you need some limited access to the LAN from some devices, you will have to setup an additional VLAN and do some firewallin'.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000166827-UniFi-Guest-Network-Guest-Portal-and-Hotspot-System#2

What exactly do you mean, talk to anything on the LAN? The only integration I have is stuff being connected through Google Home and the Home speakers. I feel like I'm missing something obvious

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Tapedump posted:

It means do devices on your local network need to talk to other devices on your network, or do they just need Internet access?

An example of the former could be a laptop and a WiFi printer, or a tablet and a Chromecast.

An example of the latter would be a device that literally only talk to the Internet (web browsing, Spotify, etc.)

Devices in the latter category could be siloed off from one another in the ways Moey said.

Ohhh ok. I think I'd be fine throwing everything on a separate guest network? I have a couple Google Home speakers, a Nest thermostat, couple Kasa switches, and an August lock. Everything is controlled through either it's on app or the Google home app

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

This feels like a dumb question, but does the Nest Protect work fine with no internet? I've been toying with the idea of replacing my detectors with them and want to be absolutely sure that in the event of an internet outage I'd be fine. Also, what's everyone's experience with them?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

LastInLine posted:

What possible reason could there be to replace a smoke detector with a sealed, ten year battery (which is as long as a detector should be used) that costs $30 with one known to be worse for $200?

I have two that are probably in their way out in the next couple years probably (feels like I've had them forever) and like I said, just thinking about it. It's been on the bottom of the smart upgrade list for a reason

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Any thoughts on the Wyze smart plug? I want a cheap smart plug to control my living room lamps via either the Google Home app or speakers. It's $15 for a 2 pack, compared to my other choice, the TP Link Kasa which is a single for $20

Edit: I bought the Wyze plug. Turns out the outlet is a two-prong outlet. Does anyone know of a two prong smart switch? Literally every one I see is a three.

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 5, 2019

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Ok. I need someone to school me on smart stuff, because I think I've been loving up. Mainly on hubs and stuff. I currently have 2 TP-Link Kasa switches, an August smart lock, a Wyze smart plug, and a Nest thermostat. I recently bought a Lutron Caseta switch because my basement lights don't have a neutral wire. After installing it, I realize I cannot connect it to my Google Home because I don't have a Lutron bridge. I don't have any hubs. All of my stuff is just connected to my network and added to Google Home. What is the easiest way to unfuck my situation?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Does anyone have any Nest temperature sensors? I have an old alarm clock that I only keep around because it has a thermometer on it, and it's starting to die. I'd pretty much only be using the sensor to detect temps. Can I just see what the temp is in the Nest app? What about the Google Home app? Can I ask Google Assistant what the temp is in that room?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Crumps Brother posted:

I have a couple in my house. In the Nest app I can see the individual temps for each sensor and thermostat. My house is a 4-level split so sometimes those numbers get weirdly different from each other and it's handy to be able to switch between them for the HVAC.

That seems handy. Are you able to say for instance "Hey Google what is the temperature in the master bedroom?" And have it report only that temp?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I recently bought a Eufy battery doorbell, but don't know the best place to put it. This is my front door:

I'm thinking beside the mailbox, with the 15 degree offset mount. Is there a better position? Do I need to move the mailbox?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

Seems like a good location to me.

I don't know how big the Eufy doorbell is though.

Not that this seems applicable to you, but I'll put this out there for anyone else who might care: I 3d printed a more extreme angled adapter for my Nest Hello doorbell because my front door is close to an inside corner and the wall coming out perpendicular to the door took up 50% of the field of view even with the included angled adapter, which seemed a waste.

It's about as tall as a phone. Kinda chunky. I did some experimenting right after posting, I might not need the offset:

View from that position:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

I recently got a Google Nest Wifi, and because it doesn't separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5ghz anymore, I'm having trouble adding my 2.4ghz only smart plugs to my wifi network. Any ideas for how to do this? There is no way to force the Nest Wifi to 2.4ghz.

Are you sure it's that? I had no problem doing any smart home stuff with my Ubiquiti stuff and it didn't separate SSIDs. What did cause problems was having mobile data turned on during setup. My Wyze plugs absolutely refused to connect, both on same SSID and different 2.4/5ghz setups, until I disabled data

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Bioshuffle posted:

I'm looking for a door bell video camera system that doesn't require a subscription, and the Eufy doorbell seems to fit the bill. Oddly though, the camera has local storage of 4GB, and it can't be expanded.

It seems like it's a huge gap in the market. Why hasn't a company filled it yet?

It's not much more, but the battery version with a home base has 16GB. Still not expandable though

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Bioshuffle posted:

I take it, it will automatically write over the older files once the slot fills up?

I could live with 16GB.

I'm think? I swear my floodlight cam did that with it's local storage. I haven't gotten to filling the doorbell's storage up, but I'd be surprised if it didn't. A quick Google says it should

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

What are the best smart bulbs for a home without internet? My mom's doesn't have internet in her condo because she does everything on her phone, but I'd like to have her try something smart out

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Ikea Trådfri works fine without internet and integrates with my home assistant pi just fine.

Don’t buy bulbs at Amazon or online because it’s like twice the in store cost though.

These seemed like the way to go. I'll look more into them, thanks

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Are there any plans for Nest Wifi to have a speaker in the router itself instead of just the point? My house isn't big enough to justify even one point, and I'd love to replace the Home Mini in my room with a combo AP/speaker

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Doorknob talk:

I used the Yale Assure connected by August for a bit under two years, I wasn't too impressed with it. Location unlock was cool but wasn't very reliable, the wifi module was one that needed plugged into an outlet and had absolutely pathetic range (I literally needed to put it on an outlet a bit over a yard away), and never played nice with my rechargeable AAs. Brand new set would be recorded as "dangerously low, please replace soon" for the entire 6ish month life of the batteries.

I've since changed to a Eufy smart lock with a fingerprint reader. It's much better. Wifi is built in and connected fine, the fingerprint reader is fast and accurate, and has a built in rechargeable battery so I can actually know when I need to charge instead of guessing. Only downside is it was hard to get working with Google Assistant, it wanted a 6 digit pin or something weird. Luckily I extremely rarely ask Google to lock or unlock so it wasn't a big deal

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

My boss tasked me with finding a small hidden-ish camera for her house since she's having issues with a family dispute. It needs to be tiny, have audio, and be monitored from an app. I don't even know where to look for that combo. I tried suggesting the small Wyze ones but those are too big

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

devmd01 posted:

Stay the gently caress out of it, that definitely falls under Not Your Problem.

I wish that were an option but it's not

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Ok I have to be missing something. I have my home setup through Google Home. With a Nest thermostat. I recently switched to an iPhone. Even with Google Home and Nest apps set to always have location access and background refresh, they do not update when I leave for work. Is this a known issue?

Edit: I just checked the Home app and it somehow wasn’t set to use my phone for presence sensing. I swear I set this up earlier. Maybe I’ll just wipe my old Pixel just to be sure it can’t switch back somehow

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 27, 2021

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

skipdogg posted:

The Ecobee installs like any other thermostat, the only thing that might be different is if you don't have a c-wire you have to use the power extender kit that comes with it. The ecobee also comes with a trim plate that can help cover larger holes if needed.

Is that power extender required? I was thinking about replacing my Nest with an Ecobee at some point as I’m gradually moving from Google to HomeKit and I don’t have a c-wire. My Nest has worked flawlessly without it

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I’m in the process of moving from Google Home to HomeKit. I have a Nest thermostat and want to get something native to HomeKit. My two current options are the Ecobee3 Lite and the Emerson Sensi Touch. I normally do not use schedules. Really the only “smart” feature I use is presence detection. Do either of these support detecting when I’m away from the home to adjust up or down? Which one would you recommend?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Am I missing something or can I not share a Home Key? I though I could through Wallet but I guess not. I’d like my mom have access to my house but I didn’t want to add her to the Home app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Pretty sure you have to invite her to your home via Home app. I do this with my parents when they visit. It’s annoying they get all the notifications from the garage doors and poo poo by default, but whatever.

With my lock you can set up a guest code in Home. Does yours support that? Obviously not as slick as holding your phone to the door, but a guest number would be just as quick.

Yep, it does codes, but I was really hoping I could just share the Home Key for that slick phone tap. I might just have her reinstall Home, add her, then delete the app and see if the key still persists in Wallet