Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

What's the best & easiest Alexa-controllable light switch out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I think I'm gonna take the plunge into smart switches. Do you guys have preferences on wifi vs z wave?

Z wave stuff with a hub seems the cheaper option overall. Are there any drawbacks?

ALSO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5p0gqCIEa8

smoobles fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 30, 2016

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Can anyone recommend a smart z wave switch that doesn't require a neutral?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Dang, good point. I guess I am SOL on switches unless I rewire the house.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Thinking of setting up zwave switches + zwave dimmable lightbulbs, but I was wondering:

Does ST time its signals so that you can turn on the switch, but have the bulbs immediately set to X% brightness when they come on? Or is it like Hue where they come on at maximum brightness.

My goal is to set up a motion sensor that dimly turns on the bathroom lights when someone enters the bathroom in the middle of the night so they can peepee without being blinded.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Three Olives posted:

Wink will do that, I assume ST does as well. But why would you not just use a smart dimmer instead of a smart switch and smart bulbs?

Oh yeah, I forgot smart dimmers exist for a sec. I'm dumb.

SmartThings question: Routines make sense, but is there a quick way to set one-off "alarm" actions for devices? I.E. my bedroom lights routine is at 8am, but I may want them to come on at 5am if I'm getting up early for a flight.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Pants Donkey posted:

How do smart plugs fare outside? I was thinking of getting a cheap one for my Christmas lights, and I'm thinking it'll be fine since my porch is enclosed, but just checking to be sure.

I've used this one, totally exposed to the elements: https://www.amazon.com/GE-Wireless-Lighting-Control-Outdoor/dp/B0013V8K3O

It's reliable like 95% of the time. Sometimes it doesnt respond, but that could be a range issue (my ST hub is on the oppostie side of the house)

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I'm having a tough time searching for a window AC unit (~10,000 BTU) that's compatible with my SmartThings setup.

Basically it just needs to restore prior settings whenever the power goes back on, since it'll be plugged into a zwave outlet. Unsurprisingly, this feature isn't advertised on AC units because it doesn't matter to 99% of people.

Anyone have any tips?

smoobles fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 31, 2018

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

OP is 6 years old now.. what's the best (mostly) all-in-one offline DIY security solution?

Just looking for server, backups (though I can just find a 3rd party backup) outdoor cameras and sensors. Can a non-cloud service still connect to the police department?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Can you reassign a device in SmartThings? Gotta replace an outdoor switch, but I don't want to redo all my automation settings.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Dumb Google Home question:

I've got a speaker group set up in my living room for 2 Homes that works great for music, EXCEPT when I say "hey Google lower the volume", at which point it lowers the volume of the speaker that picked up my voice and leaves the other one at full blast.

Any ideas?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

TY buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Google Home seems fine. What things did they get rid of?

My only complaint about my Google (plus Smartthings and Hue) ecosystem is I can't "hey Google" a volume change across a whole speaker group, which is kind of silly.