Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Maybe someone will know something about this, because I sure don't and a ton of googling has lead me nowhere. Security Systems seems like the thread to ask in.

I just moved into a new home and I think the last guy was kind of paranoid. The place is wired with, according to the last owner, 47 cameras that were monitored by ADT, and it really isn't that big of a house to warrant that many. I honestly can count about 18, so I don't know if he was making poo poo up or if there's literally 25 something cameras that I can't find.

Point being, many of them are iCamera-1000-ADT models. They look fairly modern and can be bought on Amazon, but I can't figure out a loving thing about how to configure them, or if I even can do anything with them at all thanks to the -ADT part. Is it possible to configure/use these without contacting/hiring ADT, or no?

edit: And assuming that these are useless without ADT, any suggestions on indoor home internet-enabled cameras? Preferably ones that allow browser-viewing from an iPad and/or an app that sends alerts when motion is detected.

edit 2: Actually, my house has the ADT Pulse thing still here and wired, it seems. Any way to connect to this without paying ADT? I don't want any monitoring, just to be able to look at the camera.

AbrahamLincolnLog fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

I poked around some more and figured out that you need to configure the things via PoE from ADT's instructions. I don't have a PoE supportive router or PC but the instructions said there was a "y-connector" you can use, and the cameras have the power supply. So I ordered one of the connectors on Amazon for $6.

Guess I'll find out on Sunday if they work or not. If they don't work without ADT Pulse, there's a few up on eBay being sold for ~$30 each so I'll just pull them down, sell them, and buy new ones.

The D-Link DCS-930L you linked, do you like it? I don't need it to do much, just wanted to set up something basic indoors near my entrances.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Cool, thanks for the suggestion. As mentioned I can sell the iCamera-1000-ADTs for about that much, so I'd basically break even by getting those instead. I'll play around with the y-connector when it comes in Sunday, but if not I'll just snag one of those. Thanks for the help.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Yep, it does, and that's exactly what I did. Got one on amazon for like $6. Works beautiful and, despite my initial thoughts, the -ADT version of the iCamera-1000 has no special firmware and works just the same as a "real" iCamera, just needed to be configured via cable first. Now I have them all ready to go with wifi, and I've already set up iSpy to work with them and record on motion capture, just for fun.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

AbrahamLincolnLog fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 9, 2015