Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

osiyo
Nov 14, 2014

Hello!

syphon posted:

Are the sensors wired or wireless? If they're wireless, they very likely use Z-Wave or Zigbee, which are both relatively open standards.

I know SmartThings (and most likely other systems) worth with both Z-Wave and Zigbee, so it's very possible it would pair with your existing sensors just fine.

I have wireless sensors on my alarm. Is there any way to tell the difference? Would there be any handshaking or programming needed?

I really want to augment things and increase coverage in a couple of zones. My current system doesn't text me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

osiyo
Nov 14, 2014

Hello!

syphon posted:

I'd recommend taking apart one of the sensors and look for some kind of branding or labeling.

I don't know much of anything about the protocols themselves... pairing a sensor is very much like Bluetooth. You have to press a button on the sensor and (usually via the software) put the system in "searching for new device" mode.

I can't think of any easy way to determine what protocol your sensors use other than trying to look for a label, or attempting to pair it with a hub of each type. :)

Thanks! That gives me a place to start. I should also pull the documentation on the alarm system for clues. I bought the place in June so the install isn't mine and I have no idea what it's capabilities are. It's not fancy.

I recently picked up a Dropcam for internal motion detection. This was mainly so I would receive an alert even though I do have motion on the alarm system. Pretty nifty, it ties in with the NEST thermostat so you can set your home/away.

Garage door monitoring is going to be bumped up on my list. I had to review DVR footage last night because my wife left the door up. 12 minutes of vulnerability but no intruders. Our neighborhood has been getting worked over by a crew over the last couple of weeks.

Life in the big city.