Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Is there a recommended non-hub Smart Bulb? One of the rooms in my house gets almost no sunlight, and I was planning on picking up some 4000 or 5000k plain bulbs, but then Amazon had a promo for $1 Echo Dots today, so I got one of those and figured I might as well try out a smart bulb. I'd like one I could set up to gradually transition from daylight (6000k) in the morning to warm light (2700k) at night, but if I have to manually change it, that's fine too. RGB colors would be a nice bonus, but are not a requirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Can you run multiple smart bulbs from different manufacturers through the same app? I ordered a LOHAS smart bulb and a Gosund smart plug to go with my Echo Dot. I downloaded the TuyaSmart app for the bulb, and I was surprised to learn that it could recognize and control the plug perfectly, so I didn't have to download/install/sign up for Gosund's own app.

Now I've caught the bug and want to buy more lights, but I don't want a dozen different smart home apps/skills on my phone/Dot. Am I locked into LOHAS bulbs now, or would a Merkury Innovations bulb from Walmart integrate into my current Tuya setup?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

My mom has limited mobility, and I need to find a "dumb" solution to handle the some of lights in her house. Ideally, I'd like something that lets her control a lamp with just her voice or a noise, and it looks like The Clapper might actually be the best solution. An Echo + smartplug or bulb would work, but that's a little too complicated for her. There are a lot of remote-controlled lights on the market, but I don't want her to have to keep track of one of those little remotes all the time.

The Clapper is notoriously unreliable, and I doubt the design has been updated in the past 30 years. Is there anything else I should check out?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I set up a small Blink system in December: two wireless outdoor cameras and one wired indoor camera with a Sync Module 2. Everything worked fine until today, when I get "Thumbnail failed" and "Live view failed" every time I try to check on the outdoor cameras. The indoor camera still works as intended.

The batteries on both outdoor cameras read as "OK," and I've reset both cameras, the sync module and my router. Both of the outdoor cameras have full "Camera to Wifi" and "Camera to Sync Module" indicators, so I don't think it's a problem with distance, plus they were working fine before. Any idea what's going on?

Edit: After some testing, it's like the camera's range got a huge downgrade overnight. I can bring the cameras inside next to the module and they work just fine, but putting them back up outside and everything fails again. No idea what could have caused this, and I don't think there's a spot I can place the module that will reach both outdoor cameras at the same time.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 4, 2021

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Are any of the cheap (sub $50) wireless driveway alarms worth buying? Seems like there's a big jump from ~$30 units to $150+, which is more than I want to invest in such a niche feature. I just want something that pings me (via app or receiver unit, I don't care) whenever a car pulls in. It's about 200 feet from my driveway to the house, so I don't need any of the super long range models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Can I just say how much I hate motion sensors? I've picked up a handful of dumb motion sensing indoor and outdoor lights over the past few years, and maybe one out of five consistently works how it's supposed to. I know it's my fault for being a total cheapskate, but still.