Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Three Olives posted:

So as of today Nest is completely integrated into Google Now and it is completely awesome. The only reason I was considering the Honeywell Lyric over the Nest was geofences, Google Now is 1000% better:

So Google Now already knows when you leave work and what the traffic is like so now that is tied into Nest so it figures out when you are leaving work and how long it will take you to get home and pre-heats or cools your house to be ready when you get home. :3:
I enabled this immediately and it's loving great. Saying "okay google, set the temp to 72" is really handy. Not that the app is particularly hard to use or anything, but I sometimes wear an Android watch and this makes it super convenient.

August Smart Lock posted:

Keyless
August’s encrypted locking technology is safer than keys that can get lost and codes that can be copied.

Total Control
You control when people have access to your home. For example you can issue a key that works 24/7 for a family member, or one that works a couple of hours a week only for your cleaning person.

Log Records
You can see a Log of who’s entered and exited—and exactly when they did—remotely from your phone.

Always On
It doesn’t matter if your power, cable or Wi-Fi goes down. August uses 4 AA batteries that keep it running in any circumstance. When the batteries get low we'll even send you reminders.

I also just received my August Smart Lock and installed it in about 5 minutes. I played with it a bit, locking and unlocking my front door and stuff. If I ever actually leave the house, I'll see how it works with the auto-lock/unlock feature. The app connects to the lock very quickly and responds basically instantly, and the unit itself is actually pretty swanky feeling to use to manually lock and unlock the door.

It was designed by Yves Behar so it looks pretty cool too.

The real review will begin when my wife gets home from work. I added her as a user and she should have gotten a text message or something. How it works from that end, I don't know yet. If it's even slightly annoying, then I will hear all about it.

For those that don't know, you can also invite people for indefinite access, temporary access, or scheduled access.

We almost never lock our front door and often have people watching our pets for a few days, so hopefully this will help both of those things.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

That would be cool too. The goal of this one is to unlock the door when anyone who has a "key" is nearby. In theory, the door should always be unlocked when I come home. It's supposed to somehow prevent that from the inside as well - it doesn't unlock when I approach from inside, but does when I approach from outside.

I think the end result is kind of similar.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Three Olives posted:

Sadly Nest control doesn't work with Android Wear. I really don't understand any of the rhyme or reason why they choose what subset of Google Now works with Wear.
Well poo poo.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Hue integrates with Nest now. Hopefully a sign of more similar integrations. I have just enough different devices now that having them all talk is important. I'd like my lights to come on if it's dark out and my smart lock opens, etc.

quote:

Nest and Philips hue have started by allowing you to leave home worry-free by turning the lights off as you leave and mimicking your presence when you are gone and by syncing your hue lighting to your Nest Protect alarms.

From here:
https://nest.meethue.com

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I love my August lock. I also wish it was more connected to my home, I'll explain.

Pros: When I come home, the front door unlocks, usually well before I actually get to it. I don't carry a house key at all. The key still works, so I can let my mom keep a copy at her house for emergencies. It's easy to add people as guests (assuming they actually download the app when they get the text message) for short-term or scheduled entry. I have it set to auto-lock after 5 minutes, so I never have to worry about locking the door.

Cons: I wish the lock had at least a door-closed sensor so it wouldn't auto-lock when open, and could integrate with my alarm system. I wish it didn't need a dongle for remote access (the device itself is bluetooth only AFAIK). It would be nice if it integrated with Hue or Amazon Echo or HomeKit or something so I could hook it all together (unlock the door through an Echo, blink the lights when the door unlocks).