Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I've been looking into this a lot lately to replace my Vivint system and eliminate a $66/month bill. I was sold on Revolv but Nest (Google) came in and bought them out and basically killed off the device.

Today I went ahead and bought the SmartThings Hub: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FWYESVQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It should do pretty much what I'm looking for right now, I just need to get some parts to work with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

syphon posted:

I've been using SmartThings for a while now, and am reasonably happy with it. I basically use it as an alarm. Using our phones as 'presence sensors', the alarm automatically arms whenever my wife and I both leave the house (and disarms whenever one of us gets home).

That's a really cool feature. We rarely enable our alarm now when we leave for the day because we either forget or it's an extra hassle to do so. The idea of it automatically arming really excites me and the other little things this device can do.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

housefly posted:

The Home Kit is super tempting to me, but I've been reading a LOT of mixed reviews with it. Anyone here have some insight as to it's reliability? My internet connection is up 99.9% of the time, so I'm not really concerned about that aspect of it. Would appreciate thoughts from folks here before I pull the trigger on it.

I've used Smartthings for 2-3 years now and I'd say my up time is around 99%. The only time it hasn't worked for me is when my internet was out. It's very easy to use and setup and I'd have no problem recommending it to anyone.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Pitre posted:

Sorry for the burglary :( I agree a monitored service wouldn't have responded any faster. I used to have a true monitored alarm by a company and during the one time that I thought it wasn't a false alarm and had them send police, it took well over an hour for them to show up. I think now with my home monitoring (Smartthings) and cameras (on Blue Iris), me calling 911 myself to tell them SOMEONE IS RIGHT THERE NOW, might get a quicker response.

There are several Z-wave siren options and they aren't expensive. I have a Fortrezz strobe/siren in the living room and two GoControl siren/strobes in a couple other places. When I accidentally trigger the Smartthings intrusion, it's freaking loud in the house. I think it would be a deterrent. They have battery backups so will keep going off if they find them and yank the cords out. ...also fun back when Smartthings was having a lot more cloud issues and I couldn't send the disarm command...

Also, put a UPS on your Smartthings hub and Internet modem/router if you rely on it for security.

I have the same siren and it really is loud. I agree that it would be a good deterrent in case of a break in. We have a cleaning lady come every couple weeks and once in a while I forget to disarm and it goes off on her and she's commented on how loud it is. This week I unplugged it knowing she was coming and forgot it had battery backup. It went off.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Is there a good solution for wireless cameras over a fairly large area? My parents want something put in but they have a detached shop and the area of coverage is somewhat large. I don't think using a wifi connection would work due to the lack of wifi coverage at the shop but maybe a mesh network of some sorts? I've just started looking into this so any starting point would be helpful.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

SpartanIvy posted:

Get a directional wifi antenna and point it at the shack. Should solve your signal issues.

If I get that to work, what's a good option for a system. I briefly looked at Arlo but the reviews weren't exactly great.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

skipdogg posted:

Replaced a carrier Cor thermostat with an ecobee 4 with 2 room sensors and I’m super happy with it. It’s perfectly accurate and the room sensors help keep the temp I want. The thermostat is on a wall close to the kitchen so it’s a degree or two warmer over there.

Pretty neat piece of kit. The built in Alexa works well too. I recommend it if anyone needs a new thermostat

Also setup a smart things hub and a few Zwave switches to control my Xmas lights. Technology is grand

Nice. I was hell bent on getting that same one but found a great deal on a Nest. Just got it installed and it's pretty neat. Curious to see how it adjusts.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Rhyno posted:

That's what made me curious since we have both. I'm interested in the Google WiFi Mesh but my wife wants to buy into the Echo ecosystem. Just wanted to make sure I wouldn't run into any issues with that compatibility.

I was looking at the Google mesh system but after some research I went with Netgear Orbi. It's been absolutely fantastic for me. Check into it if you're not set on Google.

Medullah posted:

A lot of the gaps in Google Home vs. Alexa can be covered with IFTTT, too. Like, I've got the Arlo cameras which aren't Google Home compatible, but a few clicks in IFTTT and now they are.

I just installed Arlo cameras this week and they work on my Google Hub. Just ask and it'll bring the camera feed up on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Medullah posted:

Man, I got some Arlo cameras about 3 weeks ago and the batteries are already gone. Garbage.

I've had mine up for a week and the battery level is still 84% and 83%. Also, I live in ND and it's been 20s pretty much every day. Looking at Amazon reviews on spare batteries and it seems like some are fine and others not so much.