Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Looking to throw a few z-wave light switches into my new condo rental. Long term plan would probably be to replace the thermostat with something that can be controlled by my geofenced location as well.

Is there any real advantage to picking SmartThings over Vera today?

I was kind of skittish over the fact that these are web services so outages could be a concern, but then again if I have to go flip my light switch on by hand or turn my thermostat up when I get home that's not a disaster. I had some grand plans for intergating a smartlock but that I *am* kind of skittish about -- a remote web service having access to let people into my home. If I do go with the smartlock I may go with a simple bluetooth one that isn't connected to smarthome or vera or whatever.

Is there a halfway solution, where a door lock can notify smartthings/whatever if it's unlocked, but not grant access to the actual unlocking to the web service?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there any go-to HomeKit enabled power plug yet? I've got two strings of lights that are inconveniently located so I have to reach around things to turn them on. I'd love to be able to do it with my iPhone but I haven't really kept up with HomeKit products.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there any way to group individual devices into a larger "device" in HomeKit?

My issue is that I have a three-bulb light fixture in my kitchen and living room. Using siri to "turn on lights in my living room" is fine but if I want to use my apple watch to do the same I have to either use siri or to tap on three separate light bulbs. This is also not the worst thing ever but I can see myself adding more smart bulbs in the future so having to hunt down the three that belong to my ceiling fixture is annoying.

I'd like to group all three of those bulbs into "Ceiling fixture" and I'd love to just tap one thing to enable all three at the same time.

Edit: ehh, scenes work well enough but it’s clunky having no fine grain control without creating a separate scene for every setting I can think of for my Lights to have.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 19, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

wow, somehow I missed that group option the entire hour and change I spent playing with Home. Thanks!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can’t tell if this is a really stupid question, or perhaps whether I’ve finally become “old man doesn’t understand technology”.

I have a Next Learning Thermostat 2gen. Works just fine in the Nest app, but my Nest login is through Google (don’t have a Nest account). I want to add this to Google Home so I can give others control of thermostat, but for the life of me I can’t figure out how to add it.

If I just go through the “add device -> new devices” path, it asks me for a QR or six letter code. Presumably this is from newer Nest thermostats since mine has no such code.

If I go through the other “add device -> works with Google” path, search for Nest, it takes me to a nest login page but doesn’t give me the option to authenticate with Google, only a nest ID.

Ideally I could just add a person to the nest app, but in their infinite Wisdom Google has decided that I have to do it in the Google Home app instead.

So I guess I have no idea what, if anything I’m doing wrong, and I suppose the fallback is that a 2GEN learning Nest is just not something you can add to Google Home if you’ve migrated to a Google account already?

Google hasn’t come up with much, which is surprising because I haven’t even found anyone having the same problem so I’m starting to wonder if I’m just searching for the right things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Following up on my own Nest Learning thermo/Google Home integration post in case anyone else has the same issue.

Ultimately not sure what resolved it, but this morning I checked the Home app to see if it had magically synced and it still showed no Nest. Following some convoluted Reddit posts, I then created a second "Test" home in GH app, checked that it showed up in the Nest app as well, but didn't get anywhere so I ended up deleting the "Test" home in GH quickly. BUT to my surprise, once I deleted it, my default "Home" now contained my Nest thermo.

I hate when things just start working inexplicably, but in this case I'll take it to mean something forced a sync or cleared some cache that hadn't otherwise happened previously.