Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Some Malaysian company is running a Kickstarter for a control box. They sound a little fishy, but given they've released some Linux based media player thingy, that's supposedly well enough regarded (didn't bother to research it enough, beyond its actual existence), so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. They're promising all sorts of stuff similar to the NinjaSphere, except for the location stuff inside the house, for a fraction of the price (if you can still net one of the early adopter boxes for 80 bux). They ostensibly support Wifi, BT and Z-Wave out of the box, with some expansion modules coming up at some point.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1561203377/the-stack-box-a-smart-home-controller/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

As said, they sound a little fishy. And they handle the updates in a rather clumsy way. This may possibly turn out as a dud, but I rather lose 80 bux on this than 350 bux on that NinjaSphere. I was interested in preordering latter, since I heard about it before, but it turns out that it's delayed as gently caress to begin with. And despite their October delivery promise, I've found one of their developers saying around three weeks ago(!) that they're currently completely rewriting their whole stack. Doesn't sound too promising either.

I've a bunch of Hues and LIFX here, that I want to control in a common way with both alarms and geofenced triggers, and I have a bunch of smart powerplugs (Plugaway) coming in at some point, that should also be controlled via geofencing. So far I haven't found a satisfying controller solution. There's something called Fibaro, but it's expensive as gently caress and only works with Z-Wave. There's also apparently "The Thing System", but I don't want to fiddle with a Raspberry Pi. There was another Kickstarter for a device called Homey, but it sounds as fishy as the Stack Box and NinjaSphere... so v:v:v

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No idea, there were a bunch of plug-between solutions over on Kickstarter. Emberlight is one name that comes to mind.

Also, anyone here using the Aeotec Multisensor? I heard it can be ran on batteries, and is low power enough to last more than a few days. How quickly does its motion sensor react? It's a Z-wave sensor and I'd like to try/use it to automate my lights whenever I get that controller (if it's worth drat).

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 5, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So yeah, anyone here using OpenHAB (and maybe HABmin)? If so, what platform are you running it on? It can apparently run on a Rasperry Pi, but so far I haven't seen anyone write a clear guide on what to buy to get it to run quickly including Z-Wave transceiver.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If I were to buy a smartlock, it should work like VW's keyless system. As in when I touch the door handle, it'll look for the key transponder, unlock if found and actually let me actuate the door handle.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Be aware that Nest doesn't support separate weekly schedules. I work in triple shift and Nest would be useless to be, since its learning algorithm can't deal with that, and you can only set a single schedule. Personally, I'm using the Netatmo Thermostat. It supports multiple schedules, has an optional PID algorithm and supports anticipation once their servers figured out the thermal characteristics of your house. However not sure how applicable it is to you, since it starts and stops the boiler by shorting two wires (which you can hook up to either the thermostat itself, or the relay and use former wirelessly).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Anyone here using the Xiaomi Gateway and their sensors? Especially in combination with OpenHAB? Does it work well together?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm currently looking for automating the lights, and a solution to integrate with mechanical switches are those tiny wall switches, like from Fibaro. They however all seem to require a neutral wire. What does that mean exactly? It needs two wires so it stays powered, or strictly a neutral for reasons? The apartment I'm living in here in Belgium has 230V three phase without neutral. Will that work regardless?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Are there any Zigbee devices that can monitor whether an AC circuit is closed? I'd like to monitor whether my gas heating is running or not. I have a smart thermostat, but I have to use their API polling their servers, which get only updated once an hour, which kind of breaks fine grained monitoring (temp readout changes once an hour, and heating status is that of the last update until the next one).

The heating over here in Europe is usually pretty simple. A thermostat closes a circuit. If I could put a device on the line to monitor that, I get my fine grained data.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What does everyone here use for data logging? I'm currently using InfluxDB, but doing math with it within queries, seems a pain in the rear end.

Turns out drawing values from multiple sources is a no go. I'm wanting to calculate the maximum vapor density for each room at the current temperature, the current saturation (instead of relative humidity), and whatever's outside (via weather API currently). Eventually to correlate these things. The idea is to get a handle how outside humidity enters and exits each room.

Right now it seems like I want to create a separate placeholder thing in OpenHAB and do math on a change event and stick the result into said thing to get InfluxDB to log the result.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So my OpenHAB2 setup just exploded out of the blue. Granted, it was just reading lots of sensors and forwarding to Influx+Grafana, but still. Any other HA system of the day I should look at, since I sorta need to start over?

--edit: Apparently it does automatic backups, I put the latest Thing json back that wasn't just 2 bytes, and it seems to work. Still disconcerting it killed itself. fsck showed no issues.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 31, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Hass.io with node red is a game changer.
I skipped over HASS because of that YAML stuff. Back then I preferred something with the option of traditional scripting (OpenHAB is JavaScript like).

OpenHAB has now decided to make all Zigbee stuff dysfunctional, so I guess I'm going to try something else, anyway. Regarding Node RED, not that much of a fan of graphical flows, because IMO complexer scripts are easier in text, but we'll see how far I get with this.

stevewm posted:

And if you want something with plenty of power to run it...
An RPi3 not enough anymore these days for that sort of stuff?

Jedi425 posted:

Would any ZigBee door sensor work, or do I need to look for a specific one?
Zigbee stuff should work with any hub. You should look in the Aqara stuff from Xiaomi, it works pretty good and it's cheap.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 31, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Not sure why everyone's so hot for Home Assistant. I'm just trying to set up my Zigbee stuff. It's obnoxious as gently caress, I might as well use an Abakus for home automation.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Eh, YAML and the integration interface in HA is what's mostly annoying me. OpenHAB was more practical in regards to setting up devices. I'm only looking at it because my OH installation blew up and I always wanted to fiddle with Node RED.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Maybe it's just all this zigbee2mqtt bullshit that soured me, but beyond Zigbee basic device discovery, I've had to edit YAML to just rename the devices, and then some internal YAML to make it work past a reboot (otherwise I had "entity unavailable" all over the place). All the setup tinkering I did until now is all via YAML. That poo poo should be abstracted away with graphical interfaces in this decade. At this point, I'm even surprised that it has a web interface at all.

Also, integrating it cleanly with InfluxDB requires more writing of YAML, because with default entity rules, it just pukes all over it with random groupings and what not.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

CheddarGoblin posted:

I don't use Zigbee at all, but as of a few releases ago (0.8x something) isn't Zigbee more or less natively supported by HA without the need for zigbee2mqtt? I thought I read something like that in the release notes.
I have a CC2531 sniffer for Zigbee currently. It isn't natively supported (yet?).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hmm, so you can actually use Node RED as standalone? It looks like there's actual device nodes, that you can output to databases, that there's dashboard extensions and such. Anyone here running pure Node RED?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I've been looking over the Node RED component repository, and there's plenty of nodes to read and control IoT devices. This sort of tells me that Node RED can run standalone and do home automation.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

This Node RED stuff is weird. Doesn't have boolean logic out of the box.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Any tips on how to make Owntracks work with HASS, without exposing the Web UI of latter to the Internet? The relevant HTTP API for Owntracks runs on the same web server instance as Lovelace. While I have it forwarded on the router to a randomly picked high port number, in the hopes it gets missed on random port scans, it feels icky.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What's the most preferred way/node in Node RED to push notifications to an Android phone? I know of Pushbullet, but I somehow remember there having been some controversy about them doing something shady, but can't remember what exactly. They still good?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but what does "cloud automation" even do? It's seems to be just very simple "when X then Y". When Google announced years back that they wanted to step into the game, I expected (optional) automation interfaces a la Node RED or that block editor like in HABmin eventually. With what being Google. But evidently not.

Considering the hare brained Node RED graphs to manage my purifiers and dehumidifiers based on open doors and windows and climate sensor inputs, using hysteresis on input and triggers (e.g. to prevent things from turning off just because a door opened for 5-10 seconds, or just not start up based on current device state), doing in my opinion basic stuff as end result, I'm not sure what Nest, SmartThings or Apple Home would even do for me (or how it qualifies for automation, if I wanted to get snotty).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What's a some decent SFF devices to look out for on eBay? I'd like to move my HASS install onto something faster and more reliable than the RPi.

Also, what's a good wireless illumination sensor for the exterior?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 13, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hrm, not really impressed by the eBay prices for these SFF devices over here in Europe.

I'm maybe considering hosting it on my main computer. It runs 24/7 anyway, Hyper-V and is on an UPS. The Patch Tuesdays and rare reboots and hardware upgrades ought to be able to be stomached.

The RPi would continue to run zigbee2mqtt and eventually zwave2mqtt, since Hyper-V doesn't do USB passthrough.

--edit: Hm, my old NAS is a Haswell Xeon E3. Gotta see how much power it draws with the HDDs stripped. It's an ugly big Lian-Li PC-Q25, tho.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 13, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hmm, a 35W permanent load over 365 days would cost me like 107€ a year (lovely expensive Belgian electricity). The RPi continuing to run (for zigbee2mqtt) combined the slight additional load on my desktop would be way less than that. The only concern I have is system stability, because gaming and NVidia drivers. I have to think about it all.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Just ordered an ESP8266 and some TRCT5000 to monitor those old spinny disk energy meters of mine. Wish me luck that the WiFi range is sufficient.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Anyone here using these Aqara vibration sensors? If I were to put one on an office chair (and maybe under a desk), would that work for presence detection when doing office work? Maybe using gratuitous delays in the automation? The motion sensor doesn't work for that.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I post-poned moving away from the RPi by ordering one of those fancy high endurance SD cards, that I didn't know existed. I suppose that'll buy me some time. The logging is towards a MariaDB instance away from the RPi, anyway.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I paid like 9€ a piece for the Aqara ones. They're Zigbee. Maximum sensing distance is 22mm per manual.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm using Xiaomi stuff with HA, via a CC2531. Works fine and fast.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I should move this Home Assistant installation off HASS.io to something more manageable. My Pi just rebooted, and HASS.io is pretty much preventing access to the actual system logs to figure out what the gently caress happened. Who the hell over there figured hiding /var/log/messages is a nice thing to do?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I have the database stuff offloaded to a VM running on my desktop. That's not my issue with it. I'm more annoyed at how gung-ho HASS.io is about shielding me from the host OS. I was considering getting some NUC, but I'm not impressed at prices, even when used.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Moey posted:

If you want something nuc sized but cheaper (and don't need the latest gen processors), look on eBay for an HP Elitedesk 800 Mini.
For some reason I'm intent on finding a quad core, and ideally not that weak sauce Pentium J1900 or whatever it was. Also it needs to look somewhat fancy, since it's likely going to me mounted to a wall.

Decairn posted:

The basic RPi uses an SD card which has a limited number of writes. That tends to blow up after a while.
Samsung has high endurance cards. Whether that's worth a drat I don't know. But I have them in my Pis.

Decairn posted:

I've read there are also options to use a USB thumb-drive for storage instead.
How much better is that, anyway? Considering there's USB drives that are just barely larger than the actual plug part. I don't see how that's much different from a MicroSD card.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

In Home Assistant, how do I relay a web site on the local intranet through its UI? Similar to Node RED, which runs a web instance on another port and HA does proxy it when accessing it through the HA UI?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Did anyone say Rube Goldberg?

Here's how my hallway and kitchen lights are automated.

(Yea, I know, this needs to get overhauled.)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The filter sensor platform in HASS, is it dynamic (i.e. generates output on the fly whenever called, incl. "old" states), or does it run and generate states only in lockstep with the underlying sensor (not generating filtered history for before its setup)?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 2, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The ultrasonic beacon stuff seems to be a little more hokum than necessary. It needs to have an active listener. People would have found by now, if the OS on the devices would do that. AFAIK it requires apps installed that happen to use sketchy middleware, currently.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Anyone knows a sane way to integrate OpenHab with Alexa?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Anyone knows why trying to control TRADfri bulbs from Ikea via Zigbee, without using Ikea's own hub, tends to be that delayed? I tried to tie some friends ones into his setup after migrating from that terrible IOBroker to OpenHAB, and they take their sweet time to react to commands. Up to 2 minutes. I can find references to that sort of problem on the Internet just fine, but no solution yet. They did react swiftly in IOBroker, tho.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I have 230V three phase open delta(?) here, no neutral. Any reason that Shelly thing wouldn't work? Virtually any other appliance doesn't care whether it's 230V live to neutral or 230V between two phases. So I just wire it up "normally"?