Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Total home automation newb, here. I've reviewed the last 15 pages of the thread and am finding myself even more confused.

I have:

1 Android Pixel XL
4 Google Home Mini
2 Chromecast v.3 dongles
3 Samsung Smart TV
1 Sony Vizio Smart TV
2 Kasa Smart light bulbs

I want to add:
4 security cameras
1 doorbell
4+ power outlets

1 security camera at rehearsal studio 20 miles from home.

I see a lot of recommendations for dahua cameras as a budget alternative, it seems like these will fit my needs?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32956487923.html

I want them to function within the Google Home architecture, ie I'd like to say "hey Google show living room /studio camera on bedroom TV/phone" etc and these guys will do it?

I don't need rechargable / battery operated cameras. Most locations I want them have convenient power nearby.

Why is IFTTT so awesome? What does it do that home / assistant don't?

Let's say I am walking up to my house with an arm load of groceries and my phone in my pocket - I'd like my porch light and a specific living room light to turn on when I'm in range. Is this a thing that IFTTT does?

Is there a reliable budget doorbell camera similar to nest but at dahua prices you would recommend?

I get that Amazon and Google hate each other but I also have Amazon prime. Do u really need a fire stick to be able to boss prime video around via Google?

Why does it seem like each brand of smart item (light bulbs, plugs) needs its own standalone app? Or can I delete the apps once the item is set up in the Home app?

Sorry for the wall of text. It's all brand new to me, a former chronic early adopter.

Tldr: "huh?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
I got the dahua/lechange/imou/whatever they're called this week 1080p tc7, xfinity cable with their modem/router, and have dedicated a 2.4ghz ssid for the cams, and have my phone on that same channel.

Going through the app, I scan the qr, enter ssid (for the 2.4ghz), then it counts down and times out.

Every so often the camera says "turn on wireless configuration".

I even tried manually entering the s/n instead of the qr code, and done the "cuckoo" method. Nada.

Everything is by the book, but no joy. Identical result on all 3 fresh out of box cameras. Obviously this is user error. So what am I doing wrong?

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

azurite posted:

This is a really dumb question, but what are you trying to do?

From your description, I don't understand if your phone is failing to find the cam, cam is failing to connect to wifi, or if the cam is already connected to WiFi and you're trying to get it into your app.

I don't own that brand of camera, so I don't know what entering the SN/QR code is supposed to do.

Edit: Re-reading the post some more, I'm assuming you're trying to get them on wifi. Here are some general suggestions:

- Factory reset the cameras in case they were shipped with a bad config.

- Make sure you don't have your router in an N/AC-only mode, in case the camera is wireless G or something.

- If your SSID is hidden, un-hide it, there's no point in doing that.

- Do you have MAC filtering on?

- Some cams require UPnP to be turned on. Not advisable, but it could be impeding a connectivity check.

Sorry for being unclear:

I am trying to get new wireless cameras to work. Specifically, the cam and phone app appear to be failing to find each other.

There is a QR code on the base of the unit, which I'm guessing is the S/N, which the app reads.

I've factory reset the camera, un/reinstalled app

SSID is not hidden

802.11 g/n,
WPA2-PSK (AES),
Channel Selection Automatic,
Channel Bandwidth 20
MoCA (whatever that is?) Disabled
Port Fowarding:Disabled

Haven't found where MAC filtering or UPnP are yet. Still cracking on that.

I'll turn on 802.11b when I get home - perhaps that's it.

Thanks!

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
I finally got those loving imou/lechange cams working. HALLO ALL MY NEW CHINESE FRIENDS!

but...

It seems that they only stream to whatever source (TV, phone app) for about 30 seconds to 2 minutes then they need to refresh often multiple times to restart. Is this a modem/router setting or an app setting?

I tried turning it off and then back on again

IFTTT question: There are plenty of applets that will turn off the lights when *I* leave home, but is there (or how would I create) an applet that turns off the lights and turns ON motion detecting when the LAST person with a cellphone leaves the house, AND also says "IF Clockwork Sputnik comes home and the house is empty THEN turn on X lights. BUT if Clockwork Sputnik comes home and someone is already home ONLY turn on Y lights"

Thanks for everyone's help so far ITT.

Also my doorbell is XHS cam. Which seems to be the only company not in the "Works with Google" list. Anyone know the actual manufacturer/parent company?

Clockwork Sputnik fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 3, 2019

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
I have a recording studio that I share with my bandmates, and IMOU cameras (US firmware) set up on motion detect.

We use Google Calendar to block out time for private rehearsal, giving lessons, etc.

I'd like to have the camera turn off motion sensing and notifications according to blocked out time on the GCal

Is this an IFTT thing or do I need to set up Blue Iris, or maybe a simpler third option?

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Is there a way to have Google home start a routine at dusk or sunset as opposed to a specific time? With the daylight hours getting shorter, I have to change the "turn on" time every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Anyone have Yi cameras? I went from IMOU because they bricked the firmware so they won't work in the US. The yi cams are from Amazon US with the US version of the app, (they're for monitoring my recording studio, so I really don't care what gets sent to China) - They're not bad really. My only issue is that it seems that they go into night mode pretty prematurely. They're only full color for like 2 hours of the absolute brightest part of the day, and the other thing is that they're not sending notifications of motion alerts at all. The IMOU cams would lose their poo poo if there was so much as a moth fart. The YI cams won't do anything at all and I have notifications tuned on in the app.