Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
If there's a better thread for this, please let me know.

I've had a 3rd generation Nest thermostat since around October. Earlier this week, we had a couple of power flickers and a brief outage (all within a minute or two). Since then, the thermostat hasn't been able to connect to the Nest service, even if it says it's connected to the internet. I've reset the thermostat, rebooted my router, and assigned the Nest a static IP address. I called support and even the senior tech couldn't get it working. He did tell me that my router is on the list of ones that are known to be troublesome, but the connection has been fine for many months. I didn't even have a problem when I put dd-wrt on the router.

Any other things to try before I cave and buy a new router?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yes. I even said so in my post.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Subjunctive posted:

Will they give you the list of crappy routers so you don't just get another one?

Yeah, there's a list on their site, I just didn't know about it when I got the Nest.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Fancy_Lad posted:

You said you rebooted the router - I'd take reset as factory reset and you didn't say you did that. Might be worth trying before dropping the cash on a new one, just backup your settings (if you can) and record them all - something that you'd need to do to get them to a new one anyhow.

Oh I took the comment to apply to the thermostat. I suppose it's either a shot factory resetting the router.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
So is there any chance of getting recourse from them? I don't feel like they'd back down especially since the router's on that list of theirs.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just discovered that my Google Home is registered to me, with my wife's email as an "other account". However, when I go into the new "Hey Google" sensitivity setting, I can't adjust anything because it says "Only the person with the primary account on this device is able to update this setting". What is going on and how can I convince the device that I am the person with the primary account?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm going to be moving into a house where my office will be on a basement room with no windows. Are there any smart bulbs that track the color of the sunlight at your location? I did a little searching and found articles from five years ago about some GE bulbs that have three settings, but a smooth change throughout the day and evening would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Deceptive Thinker posted:

TP link kasa multicolor and tunable white bulbs have a "circadian" mode that does something like this

Thanks, those look right up my alley.