Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

dreesemonkey posted:

Thanks for the feedback, they seemed to be the best reviewed overall that I could find. I would have really liked the 8CH one, but wasn't ready to drop $800 for the 1080p version. I suppose if I really like it I could upgrade just the DVR down the road or just go for broke and roll my own solution.

Good to know about the storage location, that kind of sucks you can't do both. I do have a massive HDD in my home server, I might consider FTPing it to there, but I'm not really sure yet.

Are they IP cams or analog? If they're IP you could use a software like Blue Iris on your home server to record and upload to ftp.

I have my porch cam to record locally and then take image snapshots and upload to ftp every second during motion.

Actually I recommend anyone using IP cameras took a good look at Blue Iris if they have an always on PC in the house. I've been using it for about a year now and it has its quirks but is a powerful piece of software for relatively cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Droo posted:

I use BlueIris to record 10 hikvision 4MP cameras continuously - mostly at 8mbit/s but a couple are higher. BI continuously uses about 50% of an Intel I7-4790 processor, and storage requirements are about 800GB / day.

Did you enable hardware acceleration in BI? I have 5 3mp cameras on an 4770 and CPU usage is around 10% recording continuously.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Droo posted:

Yes it looks like it is enabled. Options->Cameras->Intel HD hardware acceleration is set to Yes, and each camera is set to "Use Default". I also have direct to disk enabled for each camera.

I think the bitrate and frame rate has a lot to do with it.. between all the cameras I am recording 200 fps and a total of 92mbit/second. Are you doing 20fps/8mbit on each of your cameras?

I also throttled the CPU to 90% in power management, and I'm not running BI in service mode. I'm not sure how much the service mode affects it, but obviously the CPU throttling does - but now it sits at 55C instead of 70C and I wasn't using the excess anyway.

Edit to add: it also looks like 50% is really only true when I am looking at the web interface over the LAN, using that nice custom web UI2 the one guy made that you can download. It's pulling a high res jpeg at like 8fps. When I'm just logged in to the computer that runs it and there are no clients connected, it seems to be more like 35-40% CPU.

Ah, it's probably remote viewing then. My CPU spikes to about 25% on remote view with half the cameras you do so that makes sense.

Also that UI2 page has a new h.264 viewer for live view that's pretty nice.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Beta testers needed for smart LED lights if you have a wink or smart things hub. Figured I'd post here, I've done a few tests through them and you usually get to keep the product at the end.

https://www.betabound.com/led-smart-lighting-private-beta/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You're gonna have to give us a budget.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Amazon has a 3-pack of Philips Hue bulbs on sale for $36
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-468058-White-3-Pack-Amazon/dp/B01M1S6I1Y

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

smackfu posted:

It says regular price for that is $40. Did they cut the prices recently? I thought they were $20 each normally.

Camelcamelcamel says they've been $40 since last year. Maybe 3-pack pricing has always had the discount?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

We bought about 10 Hikvisions for work from B&H about 6 months ago and they're legit resellers on English firmware. Price was competitive too.

I like Dahua stuff too.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

Are there reasons to not use wireless?

I have neighbors with wireless cams and I had thought streaming video like that overwireless would not be ideal, we're talking houses under 1500sqft so it might be an option? They have no complaints.

You still need to run power to them, wireless just eliminates the network cable, not the power cable. If you get IP cameras they will be a single POE cable anyways.

Wireless also has tons of issues with reliable bandwidth.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 16, 2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Amazon has the TP-Link smart plus for $17 when you order with Alexa
https://www.amazon.com/b?node=16924218011

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have a whole house fan that uses an electronic timer/coundown switch. It has settings of 1hr - 8hr.
Is there a WiFi/ Smart Switch that can replicate timer functionality via app and on the device? I would like to set the switch to run for 2 hours or so from my phone, but also allow by mother-in-law without a smart phone to be able to do the same from the wall.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They’re great for neighbors to post videos to Nextdoor accusing solicitors of casing their home. Personally I never felt comfortable putting a $200 doorbell where it could be ripped of the wall easily.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Does anyone make a smart/wifi version of these types of timer switches? I don't want a programmable one because I don't run it on a set schedule.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 4, 2018

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

n.. posted:

No, that would be redundant. You get a regular smart/zwave switch and use whatever your home automation software/system is as the timer.

I need to be able to set the timer without pulling out my phone or if my in laws want to use it. I still want to turn it on and off if I’m sitting in bed though.

This is for a whole house fan so it gets used irregularly and for different lengths of time depending on how hot it is.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

n.. posted:

If you're using home-assistant and a basic smart switch you could completely automate the fan based on inside temp, outside temp, whether someone is home or not, really any combination of factors that you can think of - and still be able to turn it on and off manually at the switch.

The problem with completely automating a whole house fan is that you need the windows open for it to work properly and you don't want it running when the A/C is going because it will send all your cold air into the attic.

The scene controller someone posted about seems like it might do the trick.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm looking for a device to monitor my home's power consumption in realtime. SCE calles these a "HAN device" or smart energy gateway. We have Smart Energy Meters and these can transmit data wirelessly to some monitoring devices. I don't want one that attaches to the breaker panel as our panel is outside and we don't have any open breaker slots available.

I have been using a Chai Pro device for the past couple years and it's worked just fine but it looks like the company shutdown suddenly with no announcement. As all the monitoring is done via their own cloud service, I don't have access to this data even though the hardware is still working fine.

Does anyone have any recommendations? There's a few of them on the market like Rainforest but a lot of them seem like zombie companies with products no longer available or no activity. I'd also like a solution that doesn't rely on a company's backend but I don't know if that's even possible.

Here's a couple I found but I have no clue if these companies are still in business or not.

https://bluelineinnovations.com/product-details
https://rainforestautomation.com/our-products/
http://www.wattvision.com/sensors/wattvision_sensors

It seems like something that had a few devices a couple years ago but had completely collapsed.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

I’ve heard nothing but good things about Sense: https://sense.com/

Unfortunately Sense needs to be installed into the breaker panel and needs an electrician to install which I don't want to do.

My smart reader already wirelessly broadcasts usage data to compatible Zigbee devices, I just can't find many companies taking advantage of it anymore.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Keystoned posted:

They have installation instructions in the package and it looks super easy.

Its literally put in your breaker box, clamp two wires and run into an open breaker. The warning to use an electrician is to cover their rear end since you are working with electricity but if you can use a screwdriver you should be fine (but still be careful).

I don't have any open breakers either :smith:

I did just find out that the Chai box I have is a repacked Rainforest device so I'm going to see if there's anything I can do to get this thing working again or at least some data from it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TP-Link has a sale on single pole smart switches, only $33 for a 3 pack so $11 each, lowest price ever. Up to two orders.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HGW8N7R/

I think it's a targeted offer for Prime members only, you should see a $15 coupon to "clip"

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just set up my hallway light to turn on whenever I walk by my thermostat and I feel like a GOD now

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

DaveSauce posted:

Speaking of...

Is there any way around the time delay built in to the Ecobee sensors?

I tried to do something like this, but there's such a heavy filter on all the Ecobee occupancy sensors that it doesn't work well at all.

I'm using HomeAssistant. I can access all the sensors, but they don't turn on for a bit, and when they do they stay on for like 30 minutes minimum. I understand why since they're meant to control the HVAC, but it's annoying that the filter is on the sensor itself and isn't processed elsewhere on the thermostat.

edit: I should clarify, I'm accessing the sensors via the HomeAssistant Ecobee integration. So I'm not talking to the sensors directly... not sure if that makes a difference.

I'm using Ecobee and that's the exact problem I'm having. I have an automation to turn on the light and turn them off after a minute. The problem is that the Ecobee stays triggered as "Occupied" for a long time so the light will turn off but won't be able to turn on again until the Ecobee goes to unoccupied and is triggered again.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Are Wyze cameras accesed via the LAN when the phone is in the same network? Or is it always via WAN?

Mainly I ask because I was thinking of just connecting them to the guest network, but I guess it's kind of annoying that I'll be dependent on having an internet connection to access them.

Alerts and clips get sent up to the cloud, but live viewing stays on local LAN if you're on the same network. It seems like it might need internet access to authenticate access via Wyze's servers though.

From their forums:

quote:

If you don’t turn on motion/sound detection, then nothing is sent to the cloud.

If you are on the same local network as the camera, the stream is point to point and stays within your network. You do need outside internet access briefly to authorize and start the stream.

Starting the stream is a simple a tapping the camera thumbnail. It runs through three steps to connect, usually within a couple of seconds.

They also released a firmware that has RTSP support if you want to use them with VLC or some IP Camera software and disable cloud access completely.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 23, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Croatoan posted:

Is there a cheap kind of indoor security camera that would record a revolving amount of time to an SD card? I don't need cloud storage or anything. It doesn't need to be discreet, it's to record family interactions with someone who's memory isn't the best anymore. Everything I find seems to be a quick 15 to 30 second recording to a cloud presumably for security reasons. I just want something where we can pull out the SD card and review?

The aforementioned Wyze cameras will do continuous recording to an SD card. They run about $25.
https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029728632-microSD-and-Continuous-Recording

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Croatoan posted:

Thanks man! I thought had read up and on Amazon they very much don't tell you that, I assume it's to get you to sub to the services I don't want to pay for.

Wyze are selling their cameras pretty cheap so yeah, they wanna recoup some of those dev costs.

They seem to have a pretty nerdy engineering team however (they were a Kickstarter company originally) and have been doing little things that benefit their community like releasing fw that enables the cameras to be used as webcams back when the whole WFH webcam shortage hit pretty hard.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I know I feel like I'm just spamming for Wyze stuff, but they put pre-orders of their upcoming video doorbell product earlier this week. Won't ship to Jan 2021 though.

$30 for a cloud enabled video doorbell is pretty impressive.
https://wyze.com/wyze-doorbell.html

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If the HomePod Mini has halfway decent sound then I’m chucking all my Echos and going all in all the Apple ecosystem, cost be damned.

Also Amazon has an advertising network as well, they the #3 largest advertiser on the internet and show ads on 3rd party sites. I’m not sure if they retain the data themselves or sell access.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 16, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

priznat posted:

Yeah I've gone HomeKit for my automation ecosystem and there are definitely less items available but I've been happy with it. Now with the homepod mini I'm trying to decide what Sonos play 1s I have can be swapped out for one.. It'll be interesting to see what the difference between them, audio quality wise.

Once I figured out how to setup Homebridge and bring my non-Homekit devices (mainly my tp-link switches) into the Apple ecosystem things have been much smoother.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I know the Ecobee will work without internet via HomeKit. I can control it even if my internet is down.

All of the smart thermostats should fall back to being a regular programmable thermostat if the cloud services go down.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

I'm looking for a door bell video camera system that doesn't require a subscription, and the Eufy doorbell seems to fit the bill. Oddly though, the camera has local storage of 4GB, and it can't be expanded.

It seems like it's a huge gap in the market. Why hasn't a company filled it yet?

I think the Wyze Doorbell Cam is the one to watch, it's just not out yet

https://wyze.com/wyze-doorbell.html

Doesn't seem to have local storage like their cams but comes with 14-days of free rolling video storage.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

How did you do this? I've got a bunch of stuff that's only compatible with Google Home Assistant - some wifi light bulbs, a Sonos, etc. I really want to be done with the Google ecosystem so I'm seriously considering doing this. Do I need anything specific to get started with Homekit (bridge?) and what are my options for stuff like TP-Link power plugs that don't have Homekit compatibility?

I see some hacky workarounds with IFTTT but I would prefer something more reliable and supported, my experience with IFTTT was all over the place. I assume I have to replace the Sonos with a Homepod for starters.

Honestly I kinda stumbled into it, I'm using something called HOOBS in a docker container, which is a fork of Homebridge made to be a little more using friendly.
https://hoobs.org/

They sell a complete kit with with a plug-n-play hardware device if you want to go that route, but just the software itself works fine for me. You can run it in docker or on a raspberry Pi.

For the TP-Link stuff, the homebridge just acts as a gateway where it talks to TP-Link's local API to control everything instead of using the cloud servers.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 21, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

Why is it so cheap compared to the other bell cams? That worries me a bit.

That's kinda their thing, they introduced the first successful $25 WiFi camera when it was all $200 Ring and Nest cameras.

It has some shortcomings; it operates more like a traditional doorbell than a fancy Ring, meaning it's hardwired and doesn't take batteries. Also the image sensor is 1080p but there's supposed to be an OTA update to make that 2k at launch.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 22, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Home Depot has the Wyze starter bundle on sale for $69 in most locations
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wyze-Sm...WSHSB/310678790

Includes:
Wyze Cam
32GB MicroSD Card
2x Contact Sensors
1x Motion Sensor
1x Wyze Sensor Bridge
2x Wyze Plugs
3x Wyze Bulbs

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Don't know anything about this brand but this is a cheap deal for some smart plugs w/ energy monitoring. Alexa is supposed to be able to control individual outlets as well.

KT-KMC via Amazon has 2-Pack KMC 4-Outlet Wi-Fi Mini Smart Plug w/ Energy Monitoring for $18.99 - $9.50 w/ promotional code KUKIJ98D= $9.49
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SWZ2N4J

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MrOnBicycle posted:

Are any of the on the market popular home automation ecosystems even remotely decent when it comes to privacy? I mean Google, Amazon etc are not even worth considering, but what about any others?

Apple Homekit stuff since they aren’t literally an advertising company.

Devices like TP-link have local APIs so you can use them even without cloud access.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Rooted Vegetable posted:

So is that good or bad?

It's good

v2

v3

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Do any of the big names make a smart ceiling fan switch? One that has a fan speed and light button on a single switch?

The only one I've really found is this one on Amazon but it's not from any brand I've heard of and I'm weary of replacing the 5 fans in my house with these
https://www.amazon.com/Ceiling-Control-Treatlife-Assistant-Schedule/dp/B086PPRWL7

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The ceiling fan doesn't have a remote. My fan is wired for separate fan and light control so I can use a traditional dual control switch or something nicer like the Lutron ceiling fan switches.

I'm just looking for a smart/wifi version of those switches. I see a some people also just split the fan and light into two separate switches but unfortunately these are going into existing 3 and 4 switch gang boxes are are full already.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 11, 2021

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

sharkytm posted:

I don't have it connected to anything but the Wyze app, but it's good. Reasonably accurate and repeatable. We had issues getting 2 users set up, but we deleted the profiles and set them back up and now it works. My wife's pregnant, so the "weight only" mode is nice. No clue about Apple health or G-fit integration.

You can link the Health app to Wyze and when you use the Wyze app to record the data the Health app will sync all the readings automatically.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Motronic posted:

Any one of the "better" cheap chinese variants are able to do this. I'm running a bunch of ReoLink RLC-420s (dome) and 423s (PTZ).

Yeah I'm replacing all my old 1080p outdoor cams around the house with these cheap Amcrest models and they will do everything in your list for only $50
https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-5-Megapixel-NightVision-Weatherproof-IP5M-T1179EW-28MM/dp/B083G9KT4C/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I run Blue Iris on a Windows VM. If you can get a Windows LTSC license key you avoid a lot of the cruft and automatic rebooting stuff.