Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Sam Sperglord, Autistic Private Detective posted:

That's Sherlock Holmes, not Noir Detective fiction you loving moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

:thejoke:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Incidentally I've been reading Hammett and Chandler all summer while watching HBO's Philip Marlowe, PI from 1986 and have a Noir Detective thread in TBB.

Pours some 'Dew from the office bottle.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
“It all came down to money - any item or verifiable record that is generally accepted as payment for goods and services and repayment of debts in a particular country or socio-economic context - the great equalizer and common denominator, in a metaphorical sense.”
― James Ellroy, The Big Nowhere

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

Sperglord's Pebble vibrated furiosuly indicating a new google alert. He shushed the crying damsel in the corner, he'd get to her kidnapped twins later. As he logged on to his emphatically non-apple computer his heart rate quickly shot up from its usual and comfortable 110bpm. His breathing intensified, his pupils became dilated. Someone was wrong on the internet. He hadn't been this worked up since the passing of 18 U.S. Code § 1466A.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
When I got out of the car at the murder scene there was a smell of ham in the air, the diner across the street had its doors open.
The uniform cop waved me through, and then I saw her corpse. They had put a white sheet over her.
I lifted it back and examined her for and clues.
Her hair smelled of ham.
I like ham.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Professor Shark posted:

John Liver
May 4, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Her hair smelled of bacon. I like bacon.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

He struck a match on his tumbnail and held it to his gold-tipped European cigarette.

"Got an answer for everything, don't ya, Sam?"

I didn't say anything, I just plucked the cigarette out of his mouth and slapped him on his nose.

"SMOKING IS BAD FOR YOU." I said calmly yet clearly.

I ignored his protests as I went into the kitchen and held the cigarette under the tap to make sure it was out. 10% of house fires are caused by unattended candles or cigarettes, and I don't take chances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
As he swiped aside the bead curtain to enter, he heard the pull-cord click, snapping to light the single naked bulb in the middle of the room.
Instantly, he recognized the unsettling intruder as the hired bodyguard he had encountered the other day. It was a common enough trope.

• Locked thread