Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

2001 Daihatsu Mira
660cc, 3-Speed Automatic

What up Mira buddy. :smith::hf::smith:

I have the next generation after that one, and I really doubt it's much better. I got it from work and it's the near soviet base model that doesn't even have a stereo or hubcaps. I'm just kinda happy to have a car again after my Legacy went bye bye so long ago.

Edit: It apparently does have 15 more horsepower though, thanks to the highly modern technology of DOHC.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Nissan Legacy or Subaru? I came to this from a manual Subaru Legacy B4.

Speaking of Soviets: I'd rather be driving a Trabant.

That's a hell of a coincidence, I also drove a Subaru Legacy B4, automatic though.

I got an even duller car today though while the Mira is in the shop for squawking belts (works paying for it) I'm now driving a late 90s Mitsubishi Minica though the interior is so utilitarian you could have easily fooled me into believing it was early 90s or even late 80s. It has front-lit dials for crying out loud.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

dissss posted:

I think almost all the auto Kei cars did, even the turbo and 4wd versions.

Some newer models do have 4-speeds, but as to why they were using 3-speeds, according to Japanese answers sites it was apparently a matter of cost, weight and expected average speed. They were originally made so that families could afford to have dad's land barge and another car for mom to go to the shops in. They were never really meant to be daily drivers but it sort of ended up that way with the massive tax cuts on kei cars, rising oil prices and a gradually worsening economic climate. They weren't even allowed to go the full speed limit on the highways until the year 2000.

Also if you get into a crash you're fairly screwed. (I have yet to hear a news report of anybody surviving a kei truck crash... ) but you try not to think about that cause they're dirt cheap to run. :smith:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I've only been on one on-ramp since I got my kei and it just served as a disappointing reminder that I was driving a kei.

• Locked thread