Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
gently caress it.

Well we've got threads for the scariest cars and the rarest cars, but what about the totally average cars? The quiet, unassuming vehicles we get in and drive to work every morning when our RX-7s won't start again or the black widows that claim co-ownership are looking particularly angry that day? Everybody (well, every one in AI) needs a backup car of some kind to get around in.

All of my fun cars are dead currently, which leaves me with this:

Pictured with it's much more entertaining stablemates, who are both suffering from heart-failure and projectbloatitis

A 1999 Toyota Corolla in Maytag-white. Slushbox. Gray/beige cloth interior with that awful '90s fad of random squiggly lines of color randomly interspersed in the gray. Really the only interesting thing about this car is the fact that it has honest-to-god alloys and not hubcaps, and that it is still 12k miles short of 100,000. It puts down ~100hp and 90ft-lbs to the wheels, has a top speed of about 97mph (drag/power limited) and gets 32mpg if you don't flog the hamsters too badly. It's a Corolla, it practically defines the term "appliance-car".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Sudo Echo posted:

It'll go faster than that, you just gotta stay with it for a looong time. Mine had a 5 speed though, but I think the final drive gear ratios are pretty close.

123mph according to the GPS, the speedo stopped at about 115.

I think the 5 speed helps out a lot, the slushbox just robs too much power. Lack of flat areas doesn't help me either.

Some proper boring cars in here, I'm getting tired just looking at them.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Haha yeah I figured I would "win" this as well, looks like I was wrong. I like how over 50% of this thread is mid '90s Toyotas.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I drove the Chevy equivalent for a year, a 1996 Lumina base model (and former rental car to boot). It was like driving a couch without any of the comfort because the back of the seat sat at a permanent gangsta-lean. No power-steering because I didn't like the car enough to buy a new high-pressure hose. Or do anything short of absolutely necessary maintenance (brakes and a PCV hose). I put over 33,000 miles on that bastard in less than 9 months and didn't do a single oil change. It was already on it's second transmission when I got it at 115,000 miles, and by the time the car died in my friend's backyard (like all 3100 powered vehicles, it was killed by failed intake gaskets and general apathy) with 145k that one was on its way out as well.

It was an incredibly boring car by nature but because I gave zero fucks about it I drove it like it was a race car all the time and actually had a huge amount of fun in it, so I'm not even sure it belongs in this thread.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 30, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Luneshot posted:

1997 Chevy Lumina base model. A bit newer than some other cars in here, but still incredibly dull and boring. It used to belong to my grandmother, so of course she chose the automatic model. In beigeish-gray. With a bench seat in the front. At least it has the advantage of being so inconspicuous that the police barely give it a second glance.

Real talk if you know what you are doing behind the wheel (and have little fear of death) one of those fuckers will haul some serious rear end through the twisties. I kept up with a coil-over'd CRX on one of the most technical back roads in my county with 100% stock suspension and gigantic 85 profile tires. I bag on mid-90's American cars a lot but they weren't complete turds.

Best roadtrip car I've ever had, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Yeah, coil-over'd CRX makes it sound more impressive than it was and leaves out all the bad. lovely body kit, cheap rear end eBay coil overs, crap engine and the driver of the CRX had no skill. I was still impressed with the Lumina's grip, but yeah, I fully admit I left out some details from that story.

• Locked thread