Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Although it didn't belong to me, I spent about two years using my great-grandmother's 1985 Chevy Celebrity as my daily driver (she'd had a light stroke and was advised not to drive anymore, so I got to use it in exchange for chauffeuring her around when she needed). If the poop-brown exterior and interior and cloth bench seats didn't bore you to death, the somnolent 2.8l 2bbl carbed LE2 V6 would definitely put you to sleep with it's utterly uninspired performance. The best thing that can be said about it was that there were always plenty of cheap parts at the wreckers. The downside is that when it finally took it's last breath, no junkyard wanted to take it because they already had more broken-down Celebrities rusting up the place than they could ever possibly part out.

They didn't call the mid-70's to mid-80's the Malaise Era for nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Red_October_7000 posted:

I have to question if those are really options; it might be an authentic no-option model. It's been a long time since I've seen a vehicle without even a radio; my dad picked up a Chevy C-1500 Cheyenne back in the 90s for cheap because it was ordered as a stripper and the guy never picked it up. It had an AM radio and possibly two speakers. Rubber floors, vinyl seats, 6 cylinder 5MT, no AC, manual everything (everything worth having was added later, A/C, cassette deck, rear speakers, even a sunroof!). It was so light that he had to carry 500 pounds of sand in the winter, but it got insane mileage. The last car I remember distinctly as having no radio was in the inventory of an organization whose fleet I used to manage. It was a ...1982, perhaps, Dodge B350 RamWagon originally ordered by the government. I remember this very distinctly because I drove it to meet its final reward with only the sound of a 727 TorqueFlight singing its death song to keep me company. Whirred like an electric drill.

fake edit: I saw a Smart with no radio. But I don't consider that a proper car. It's a novelty product.

I sold Fords seven years ago, and even the $9,999 special Focus without even air conditioning had a radio. That particular car was an example of a car made or broken by its transmission choice. The manual was an engaging little thing to drive, the automatic, however, felt so much slower. You'd swear Ford didn't learn a drat thing about autos since the C4... The strange thing is, on the used lot we had a Toyota like the ones in this thread, and a Lincoln Town Car a year newer and with lower mileage, yet selling for the same price. More people asked to see that drat Toyota even though I told them flat-out that the Town Car was a better buy; it's much more car and the platform is known for its long service life. I'll never understand some people.

You could still get manual everything, 2WD, no-AC, AM/FM-radio-only Toyota Tacomas at least as recently as 2004, since the dealership I worked at during that year had a few.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Dr.Smasher posted:

I drive a 2001 Honda Civic 4-door EX. It is silver, with a grey cloth interior. It has the factory stereo, and steel wheels with hubcaps.

I have lost it in parking lots, and when other people with similar Civics park next to it, I am prone to trying to unlock their cars first because it is boring to look at.

Though, it does have a 5-speed so that probably means I cannot carry the crown of 'dullest car'.

I beat you because I had the exact same car, but with an automatic. It wasn't even particularly hondalike, as the headliner was peeling down in the back, the drivers' side window regulator barely worked when it was cold out, and the 12v accessory port shorted out somewhere behind the dash and so I could no longer plug my iPod/phone in to charge. So many little gremlins and things failing in the interior, and it had less than 120k; it was crumbling apart like a Cavalier or something.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rorac posted:

1986 GMC Vandura (AKA the ubiquitous Chevy Van), 305, automatic.

Vanduras own, don't you dare badmouth them.

:colbert::colbert:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Mighty Horse posted:

Oh, you had it good you rich bastard.

The Celebrity I learned to drive on was Iron Duke powered.

Pretty sure I would get passed by glaciers on the highway.

Oh my god, I'm so, so sorry. My condolences. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

cyberia posted:

When that car finally poo poo the bed for good I upgraded to a late '70s Toyota Corolla in gross orange which was a totally functional car that happened to be a good 30 years past its prime:

If you're calling TE27/TE72 Corollas boring I will :ese: you.

Though not as popular as Datsun 510s, they are awesome little cars and tons of people race and mod them:

They also share a lot in common with the more famous AE86 Corolla, and you can play Toyota legos with a lot of the drivetrain and suspension bits from all three generations.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 19, 2014

• Locked thread