Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Monster Pulse is a webcomic by Magnolia Pearl about Kids and Fun getting a possibly-vital organ transformed into a monster by a shadowy biological weapons organization :sun:

It's sometimes funny and sometimes horrifying and more than sometimes sad. And it updates every Mon-Wed-Friday! Really consistently, which is nice.

The author also wrote Bobwhite, but I haven't read that comic so I can't say much else about it.

Anyway, I don't know how to write good topic posts so uh, I like Monster Pulse! I hope you do too.

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The girl looks weirdly similar to Gluttony from Fullmetal Alchemist.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't see the resemblance :confused:

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
It's also worth mentioning Magnolia Pearl's first webcomic The Good Crook. Unfortunately it's no longer online, but it is availiable to buy on Gumroad.

A good read.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
It might help to actually link the comic.

Also, drat; looking at those pictures from the OP, the art in this comic improved a shitload from the earlier chapters and I never noticed (probably because it was always good.)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not sure if Violet is up to something sinister or doing this to help Abel. Or even if those are mutually exclusive, really.

What the heck is her monster anyway? I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that an early bit of artwork showed she had one, and obviously something is up with her.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tollymain posted:

Anyway, I don't know how to write good topic posts

Fixed, sorry :shobon:

Y Signal
Feb 17, 2009

I love you, Tiger Millionaire.
This is legit one of my favorite current ongoing webcomics. The current situation is doing a pretty great job building the suspense! I legit don't know if Violet's up to something good or bad. Or in more of a morally ambiguous gray area.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Tollymain posted:

The author also wrote Bobwhite, but I haven't read that comic so I can't say much else about it.

Bobwhite is an awesome comic and you should read it when you get a chance.

bigbigtruck
Feb 7, 2011

rattlesnake caught in a wheel well, strawberry in an ostrich throat

Uncomfortable Gaze posted:

Bobwhite is an awesome comic and you should read it when you get a chance.

Seconded. It's probably my favorite "daily gag" webcomic ever; I'm really fond of every cast member even though (because?) they can be assholes sometimes.

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!

Y Signal posted:

This is legit one of my favorite current ongoing webcomics. The current situation is doing a pretty great job building the suspense! I legit don't know if Violet's up to something good or bad. Or in more of a morally ambiguous gray area.

Pretty much all of the characters are in a moral grey area, which is why I like this comic so much. No one is purely good or evil, even people who are arguably villains, like SHELL or Nancy.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I really like this comic. It can be dark sometimes, but most of the time it's just kids trying to cope.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Tollymain posted:

What the heck is her monster anyway? I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that an early bit of artwork showed she had one, and obviously something is up with her.

I can't find the art, but her monster is part or all of her brain, which honestly I think is pretty easy to reason out at this point given the scene with her dad, the photograph of a younger Violet laughing, and the extremely robotic way she talks. :shobon:

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.

Renaissance Robot posted:

I can't find the art, but her monster is part or all of her brain, which honestly I think is pretty easy to reason out at this point given the scene with her dad, the photograph of a younger Violet laughing, and the extremely robotic way she talks. :shobon:

Her design really emphasizes the size of her forehead/skull, which is another big hint that there's (not) something up there.

MP is one of my favourite webcomics. The scene where the kids blackmail Dr. Lulenski defines the comic for me; the grey areas people have mentioned become very apparent then.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
This is a great comic and more people should read it. Really imaginative neat monsters, nice whimsical feel. I haven't read it for quite a few months so I guess it could have gotten too serious or something but when I was still reading it, it was really cool.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Monster Pulse is my favorite webcomic. What I like most about it is that the kids act like kids. They wear their emotions on their sleeves. They're friendly, grumpy, jealous, and competitive with each other. They're not precocious or understanding of the wide world. They tackle all their problems head first which often isn't the best solution and it makes the story better for it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well that answers that question :downs:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Well, I hear the White Void has lovely weather this time of year. Perfect for a stroll.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Monster Pulse is the Internet's best Digimon fanfic

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Speaking of which, lovely Data-type you've got there, Vivi :allears:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I totally loving called that poo poo.

So who wants to take bets on that thing being her brain vs. being some abstract concept of humanity or emotions or something?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
WELP

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

welp?

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
It's time to play what monster type is that.

It's probably internal, and the shape kinda makes me think kidney, but I can't see much in the way of interesting stories coming out of that. Maybe it's an abstraction of a certain cell type, like Red? Osteocytes or spinal fluid or something. Or given the chapter title and the split arrow shape going down its face, maybe it has something to do with cell division.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got nothing.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.monster-pulse.com/?webcomic_post=page-6-chapter-16

Ah yes, the flipside of a kid leading a magical double life :smith:

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Her dad looks like a muppet made by a xenomorph

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rasamune posted:

Her dad looks like a muppet made by a xenomorph

yeah well u look like a dishrag stapled to a pair of shades t:mad:

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Tollymain posted:

yeah well u look like a dishrag stapled to a pair of shades t:mad:

:stonk:

Oh hey I was wondering when we'd see her again

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
Does anyone have guesses about Nate's monster? Is it his youth, and so without it he thinks he is a grown man? Or he is a grown man, and the monster is his age? Those would be the first monsters that aren't literal body parts though, so maybe it is something related to growing, like the pituitary gland?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
man i don't know, something is definitely up though

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Redbeard posted:

Does anyone have guesses about Nate's monster? Is it his youth, and so without it he thinks he is a grown man? Or he is a grown man, and the monster is his age? Those would be the first monsters that aren't literal body parts though, so maybe it is something related to growing, like the pituitary gland?

We have a winner

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

This chapter is gonna be a gem. :allears:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
So I guess Violet's monster is more likely to be a part of her brain than all of it. The hypothalamus or amygdala, perhaps?

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
My Pituitary Gland Can't Possibly Be This Cute

Rasamune fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 8, 2014

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Yaaaayyyy

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
unironically agree that would be my response

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I kind of figured that Lulenski's double agent thing would last a teeny bit longer :v:

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 17, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rjinder is going to murder someeverybody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah there's not enough discussion to support this thread, pulling the plug

• Locked thread