Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I love bones!

E: This became a weird snipe, but I stand by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Darkrenown posted:

I love bones!

Then you will absolutely adore the Ninth House and everything they represent.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Darkrenown posted:

I love bones!

This is a better post than you think it is.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

I love bones!

Well, they ARE delightfully comfy and easy to grow.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I'm having a really, really hard time getting into Harrow; I think it's because I'm listening to it as an audiobook in smaller chunks and I'm getting whiplash trying to figure out the context of what's happening as scene changes are sometimes just a single sentence and most of it so far has been flashbacks that may/may not have actually happened as gideon has been replaced and so I'm reading it with the most unmoored feeling. The characterization is great as always but the story flow is just not there for me and I keep losing track of what's going on.

e: wait, this isn't the general SF thread, i saw murderbot and ninth chat, oh well

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Bhodi posted:

I'm having a really, really hard time getting into Harrow; I think it's because I'm listening to it as an audiobook in smaller chunks and I'm getting whiplash trying to figure out the context of what's happening as scene changes are sometimes just a single sentence and most of it so far has been flashbacks that may/may not have actually happened as gideon has been replaced and so I'm reading it with the most unmoored feeling. The characterization is great as always but the story flow is just not there for me and I keep losing track of what's going on.

e: wait, this isn't the general SF thread, i saw murderbot and ninth chat, oh well

No spoilers, but that’s the point of the flow. You’ll see why towards the end.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Darkrenown posted:

I read the blurb for the first Ninth book and it didn't grab me, can someone sell me on it?

Far Future Lesbian Necromancers. In Space. And/or Warhammer 40K Meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Or just start reading Gideon the Ninth. But you might want ot wait until the end of this year. Because if you have any kind of taste at all, you'll immediately want to buy and read Harrow the Ninth and you're really going to want as little time as possible between that and Alecto the Ninth because the wait for that book is loving agony right now.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Everyone posted:

Far Future Lesbian Necromancers. In Space. And/or Warhammer 40K Meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Or just start reading Gideon the Ninth. But you might want ot wait until the end of this year. Because if you have any kind of taste at all, you'll immediately want to buy and read Harrow the Ninth and you're really going to want as little time as possible between that and Alecto the Ninth because the wait for that book is loving agony right now.

I read this book. I know I read it, but I don't remember it except flashes. :psyduck:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Beachcomber posted:

I read this book. I know I read it, but I don't remember it except flashes. :psyduck:

That sounds like an excellent reason to reread it - towards the end of this year.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
There's something about short stories that make me take a long-ish break when I finish them that makes reading Side Jobs longer than it should be. I really enjoy all the short stories, with maybe The Warrior being my favourite. I expected Aftermath to be about well, how everyone is faring with the aftermath of Changes, but what transpires is a cool Murphy story anyway. What I love is the non-Harry-POV stories, where you can see how some people see Harry. Maybe there could be a short story narrated by Toot where he just sing praises about the Pizza Lord, exaggerating everything.

Up until chapter 49 of Ghost Story I was fine with the development. I was excited at the possibility of a second magic system for Dresden, but it ended up being his old magic. The effects of Changes on the rest of the cast is terrifying, and it feels in character. I'd like to see some Michael, but Bob-Butters more than make up for it. the book didn't feel that different from previous novels, so I was fine. But in chapter 49 I realize that this is the least active Dresden has been in a final fight, and the remaining chapters are purely Harry being exposed to events instead of causing them. There are a lot of events in the finale, but I don't like it because Dresden just sits there, learning about it. He Who Walks Behind calls Dresden "child of the stars" so I'm dreading the reveal that Harry is of super special birth with super powers.

The climax aside, it still feels like Dresden to me, so I'm enthusiastically continuing to Cold Days. These novels are getting thicker and thicker and more complicated, aren't they?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

toanoradian posted:

He Who Walks Behind calls Dresden "child of the stars" so I'm dreading the reveal that Harry is of super special birth with super powers.

If you haven't figured out by now that Harry is super-special with super-powers, I don't know what to tell you. The one person above pretty much called it that Dresden Files is a superhero story only thinly disguised as urban fantasy. When he was a child, Dresden was bitten by a radioactive wizard. He's pretty much Wizard Spider Man.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Yeah, if you don't like the "super special birth" aspect you might as well check out because, while it hasn't become center stage yet, other characters and Harry never shut the gently caress up about it in climactic fights.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Whoever flagged the John Charming series / Pax Arcana in the last few pages: thank you very much! I'm into the first one, it's decently written, kind of tongue in cheek and not nearly as obnoxious as Dresden.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Glad you like them!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sloth Life posted:

Whoever flagged the John Charming series / Pax Arcana in the last few pages: thank you very much! I'm into the first one, it's decently written, kind of tongue in cheek and not nearly as obnoxious as Dresden.

Yeah, they're super fun while avoiding a lot of the common traps male fantasy authors frequently fall into.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Cold Days is full of big revelations. I enjoy the reveal of the new war, it'd be interesting to see how Dresden will handle this one. The other one, of an infection that turns the villains of novels 1-3 evil, left a sour taste in my mouth. Saying that they're 'corrupted' seems to cheapen their descend into evil. Also, Kravos of Grave Peril was never shown sane, so I can't really sense corruption there. The final battle is almost as exciting as the one in Dead Beat, but the climax is far better. I love it, tragedy and all. The last ten chapters or so was exhilarating.

Skin Game is brilliant. I love heists, and I love a heist team made out of rivals even more. The interplay of alliances was very cool, and I'm genuinely surprised at the traitor reveal. I loved it when Butters take his first brave step in Dead Beat, so in this one I just...gah, it's awesome. Butters is amazing in this one, and so is Michael. Every Denarian novel is better than the last, so I can't wait for the next one. I was preparing myself for the idea that Harry/Murphy will stay uncoupled until maybe the series finale, so I'm pleasantly surprised at the end. Similar to Death Masks, I don't get the title. What's the skin game?

Question for Skin Game: Among the five artifacts revealed in the novel, what was the placard and the knife?

Reading Cold Days and Skin Game back-to-back is a fantastic experience. Looking at the publication dates, Jim Butcher didn't write a full novel between 2015 and 2020. What happened? Health problems?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

toanoradian posted:

Cold Days is full of big revelations. I enjoy the reveal of the new war, it'd be interesting to see how Dresden will handle this one. The other one, of an infection that turns the villains of novels 1-3 evil, left a sour taste in my mouth. Saying that they're 'corrupted' seems to cheapen their descend into evil. Also, Kravos of Grave Peril was never shown sane, so I can't really sense corruption there. The final battle is almost as exciting as the one in Dead Beat, but the climax is far better. I love it, tragedy and all. The last ten chapters or so was exhilarating.

Skin Game is brilliant. I love heists, and I love a heist team made out of rivals even more. The interplay of alliances was very cool, and I'm genuinely surprised at the traitor reveal. I loved it when Butters take his first brave step in Dead Beat, so in this one I just...gah, it's awesome. Butters is amazing in this one, and so is Michael. Every Denarian novel is better than the last, so I can't wait for the next one. I was preparing myself for the idea that Harry/Murphy will stay uncoupled until maybe the series finale, so I'm pleasantly surprised at the end. Similar to Death Masks, I don't get the title. What's the skin game?

Question for Skin Game: Among the five artifacts revealed in the novel, what was the placard and the knife?

Reading Cold Days and Skin Game back-to-back is a fantastic experience. Looking at the publication dates, Jim Butcher didn't write a full novel between 2015 and 2020. What happened? Health problems?

It's interesting to see your response to Skin Game. A lot of people hated it when it came out but a lot of that might have been hype and buildup and expecting something different than we got.

For your question:

All the items are related to the Crucifixions'. The Placard is the sign placed around Jesus's neck, the knife is the remains of the spear of Longinus most likely. This might be answered more definitively in the next two books but I checked right out after the COVID stuff so someone may correct me.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

toanoradian posted:

Basically life. If I remember correctly Jim got divorced, then remarried and then had his house get renovated. The renovations kept getting delayed so he was living with his in-laws and apparently that wasn't a good environment to write in. I think he had a dog die somewhere during all that too maybe?

Everything's all settled now though, and he's said he plans to get back to his pre-2015 pace. The series is almost finished anyway. There should be about three more books and then an "apocalyptic finale" trilogy. That was the original plan anyway, I'm not sure if that's stayed the same.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Im thinking there may be more if he's forced to split things again.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Oh? Was Peace Talks and Battle Ground supposed to be one massive novel?

When I opened Peace Talks, I was rather confused at it having 'only' 36 chapters, haha. I'm just used to there being 50-ish chapters now. Maybe by the end of the series each novel will be as long as a standard classical fantasy.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Yeah, peace talks and battle ground not only were meant to be one book, but they actually read like it too. Peace Talks ends during a very middle of a Dresden book moment, with things heating up, one "problem" "resolved" but generally things just about to get good.

Battle grounds is one huge "last half/third of a Dresden book". It's non stop balls to the wall action.

The wait between them was awful, as short as it was. They are far better read back to back.

Oh, and the Skin Game title? A skin game is any game or business operation which is rigged or where someone's cheating. The entire heist was a skin game. It's also a play on the true nature of one of the players.

Masonity fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 14, 2021

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Soysaucebeast posted:

Basically life. If I remember correctly Jim got divorced, then remarried and then had his house get renovated. The renovations kept getting delayed so he was living with his in-laws and apparently that wasn't a good environment to write in. I think he had a dog die somewhere during all that too maybe?

Everything's all settled now though, and he's said he plans to get back to his pre-2015 pace. The series is almost finished anyway. There should be about three more books and then an "apocalyptic finale" trilogy. That was the original plan anyway, I'm not sure if that's stayed the same.

:lol: at "Almost finished" being six more books.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Isn't fair to say the back quarter or third of a series is almost finished?

Feels more honest than saying a Song of a Ice and Fire is almost finished despite needing fewer books lol

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Exactly. We're 17 books in and aside from the recent hiatus Jim puts out a book a year or so. So it's nothing like GRRM taking ten years per book or anything. Butcher will probably have everything completed by 2020 and we'll still be waiting for Winds of Winter.

I'm not saying the end is right around the corner, but keeping in mind the entire life of the series it's relatively close.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Soysaucebeast posted:

Exactly. We're 17 books in and aside from the recent hiatus Jim puts out a book a year or so. So it's nothing like GRRM taking ten years per book or anything. Butcher will probably have everything completed by 2020 and we'll still be waiting for Winds of Winter.

I'm not saying the end is right around the corner, but keeping in mind the entire life of the series it's relatively close.

I hate to break it to you...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Masonity posted:

I hate to break it to you...

Huh? It's 2016, what are you talking about?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Soysaucebeast posted:

Charitably, his divorce cost him 4 years. He married a boob girl cosplay model. How long do you think that marriage is going to last, and what delay that will cause?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

torgeaux posted:

Charitably, his divorce cost him 4 years. He married a boob girl cosplay model. How long do you think that marriage is going to last, and what delay that will cause?

Well, as long as she doesn't take (or renovate) the house, we should be okay.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Countries have literally risen and fallen in the time between Skin Game and Peace Talks.

That's almost two Confederacies of the United States.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

torgeaux posted:

What can you divine about her character, or their relationship from this, really?

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I wish we could stop talking about an author's relationship based on nothing.

A quick question: with Side Jobs and Brief Cases published, are there any more uncollected Dresden short stories?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

toanoradian posted:

A quick question: with Side Jobs and Brief Cases published, are there any more uncollected Dresden short stories?

There's the microfiction on his website? I expect there'll be more, though.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Countries have literally risen and fallen in the time between Skin Game and Peace Talks.

That's almost two Confederacies of the United States.

To be fair, that's not a very long period of time. The average life span is 20+ Confederacies. Most people go through high school and college in two Confederacies.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

torgeaux posted:

How old is she

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

She is 33, he is 49, and God bless America for going for a new model. But, he wrote a gazillion books married to another author who he'd known his whole adult life, and now he's married to a corset model. I think he may be less of a machine cranking out the books.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

toanoradian posted:

There's only one (Monsters in Parallel Worlds is a Goodman Grey POV), but there's a handful of micro fiction on his website.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

torgeaux posted:

She is 33, he is 49, and God bless America for going for a new model. But, he wrote a gazillion books married to another author who he'd known his whole adult life, and now he's married to a corset model. I think he may be less of a machine cranking out the books.

Wasn't his old wife also his editor of some kind? Would explain the massive drop in quality

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

torgeaux posted:

Half your age plus seven is an acceptable range. I’d hope that once a person reaches 30 they’re capable of making their own decisions without judgement.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BabyFur Denny posted:

Wasn't his old wife also his editor of some kind? Would explain the massive drop in quality

Ah, George Lucas Syndrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

MadJackal posted:

Half your age plus seven is an acceptable range. I’d hope that once a person reaches 30 they’re capable of making their own decisions without judgement.

Half plus seven is a running joke for dudes in midlife crisis.

I don't care who he married. She's of age, he is too, and who knows what the first marriage was like at the end, or what's going on with this one. But, the odds for drama have risen for Jim. Let's hope he has decades of blissful marriage without issue. But, if you were gonna write a bad sitcom take on his life, this would be in the running.