Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

There's something to be said for vampires and sexual assault allegories but I don't want to talk about that, I want to talk about how interesting this worldbuilding is, or how dumb vampires using katanas is.

e: has anyone in here read Chicagoland Vampires?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

It's because there is no such thing as UF that doesn't have bad presentations of those things. Or if there is, it hasn't been recommended recently in this thread.

The Rook does a pretty good job of it. Conrad Grantchester's bachelor pad is a running joke.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Rivers of London books probably come closest to being least problematic.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ConfusedUs posted:

The Rook does a pretty good job of it. Conrad Grantchester's bachelor pad is a running joke.

Threatening Myfanwy with pre-and-post lobotomy rape (by underlings if not by the main villain himself) before she cuts loose and murders almost everyone in the room was pretty loving dire, though.

The_Doctor posted:

The Rivers of London books probably come closest to being least problematic.

The jazz vampires are cringey, but yeah. It isn't as blatant as other series at least.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

It's been a bit since I read the Rook but I feel like Myfanwy falls into Men writing Women a lot, it's still a fun read and I'll eventually get around to reading Stiletto though.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 17, 2020

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Midnight Mayor series has no cringey scenes, or even cringey descriptions of bodies, so far as I recall.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Threatening Myfanwy with pre-and-post lobotomy rape (by underlings if not by the main villain himself) before she cuts loose and murders almost everyone in the room was pretty loving dire, though.

I dunno. That seems the appropriate reaction. Cutting loose, that is.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

StrixNebulosa posted:

This is where I'd usually bust in with opinions on whatever UF I've been reading, but classic epic fantasy overtook me and Anita Blake will just have to wait. I also asked people what they're reading and they answered. So now we're all sitting around waiting for dresden to drop.

I'm actually waiting for Stephen Blackmoore's newest entry to his Eric Carter series, which drops 4/28. It's set in Los Angeles - the real Los Angeles like Downtown, San Fernando Valley, etc. and not Hollywood stereotypes - and has incorporated the narco-trafficker patron saint Santa Muerte, Aztec mythology and other off-the-beaten-path stuff. The main story arc to date ended in the last book, so I'm curious in what direction it goes now.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Wizchine posted:

I'm actually waiting for Stephen Blackmoore's newest entry to his Eric Carter series, which drops 4/28. It's set in Los Angeles - the real Los Angeles like Downtown, San Fernando Valley, etc. and not Hollywood stereotypes - and has incorporated the narco-trafficker patron saint Santa Muerte, Aztec mythology and other off-the-beaten-path stuff. The main story arc to date ended in the last book, so I'm curious in what direction it goes now.

No one in my non-goon circle has read this UF so I might be the first to check it out! Thanks for the rec!

e: also seriously the fact that it has a finished main story arc is incredibly appealing. I've never met a genre more prone to being unfinished with the authors leaving me in the lurch.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
There's a fun one-off book in the same universe that he wrote prior to the Eric Carter series, with a different protagonist: City of the Lost. Perhaps try that for a spin first to see if you like Blackmoore's style.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

torgeaux posted:

Midnight Mayor series has no cringey scenes, or even cringey descriptions of bodies, so far as I recall.

Also, the Midnight Mayor series leads into Magicals Anonymous, which does include a vampire. But the vampire is a germaphobe who is completely grossed out by how unsanitary vampirism is, so it becomes kind of gloriously funny.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

It's because there is no such thing as UF that doesn't have bad presentations of those things. Or if there is, it hasn't been recommended recently in this thread.
A Key, an Egg, an Unfortunate Remark, but that's cozy UF.

Honestly, I don't remember Twenty Palaces having anything overtly troubling in that regard either, but it's been a while since I read that series.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 17, 2020

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wizchine posted:

Same.

City of the Lost is one that gets overlooked in the same “Eric Carter” world. It was released before Dead Things and has a bunch of locations and characters that show up in the main series.

It’s kind of... Noir Zombie Detective and Joe Sunday is the best. I’ve been wishing for a sequel to that book forever.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Everyone posted:

Also, the Midnight Mayor series leads into Magicals Anonymous, which does include a vampire. But the vampire is a germaphobe who is completely grossed out by how unsanitary vampirism is, so it becomes kind of gloriously funny.

Hemophobic vampire that must be fed via IV to prevent unfortunate mid-feeding fainting (and death of donor) remains a highlight of my trawl through the library's PNR section a few summers ago. I can't remember which of the various "vampire romances" it was though.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ConfusedUs posted:

I dunno. That seems the appropriate reaction. Cutting loose, that is.

The threats being made at all were dire.

anilEhilated posted:

A Key, an Egg, an Unfortunate Remark, but that's cozy UF.

Honestly, I don't remember Twenty Palaces having anything overtly troubling in that regard either, but it's been a while since I read that series.

Twenty Palaces just had godawful editing and a protagonist that dumb lucks his way to victory.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The threats being made at all were dire.

I get the sense that your take is that there is literally no good way to handle the subject, other than "don't."

I don't agree with that, but you do you. No skin off my back.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016
So it looks like we're probably not getting any more Felix Castor books. From an r/fantasy AMA:

"I'd really like to. The main reason it hasn't happened yet is that M.R.Carey has been more successful than Mike. That means it's a lot easier to pitch an M.R.Carey novel and get it commissioned than to go back to a series I wrote as Mike. The sad fact is that sales on the Castor books were only okay. On Thicker Than Water and Naming Of the Beasts they showed a drop. Orbit US tried a re-issue a couple of years back, but it didn't get much take-up. So I've got to choose my moment and plead my case."

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Does The Magicians count as urban fantasy? I read the first book on the recommendation of a gal I went on a few dates with and by the time I reached the end, the more I thought about it, the more I :yikes: and I just have to vent. Spoilers ahead.

It's a story of an incredibly magically-gifted teenager who at first just seems angsty, but gradually reveals himself to be a sociopathic narcissist who blames everyone but himself for his own failures. After he graduates from school, he coasts on the sacrifices of those around him and the magical community's plutocratic indulgence of all its failson layabouts. At several points along the way, whatshisface has a momentary flash of self-awareness and questions whether he's actually to blame, but immediately pulls a Principal Skinner and blames everyone else. I'd thought this was leading up to some sort of comeuppance and real character growth, but, nope, his companions lose their lives against the big bad while the protagonist flails about ineffectually. He then goes back to Earth, gets handed a high-paying corporate job where he does literally nothing and mopes, before his surviving companions resurface in the final page to literally call out the unfinished plot points and allow the sequel to start with things more or less reset.

I'm genuinely confused about the authorial intent. Is the protagonist just an author surrogate and this is his actual mindset? Is the author just writing pulp and deliberately insulting the reader? Most bad books I just let go, but this one and its apparent popularity just confounds me enough to plague me months after I read it.

Oh, and there's a sex scene that is kind of explicitly non-consensual, but is explained away as "they were just literal unthinking animals at the time, guys, so it's all good!"

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 18, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Cugel the Clever posted:

Does The Magicians count as urban fantasy? I read the first book on the recommendation of a gal I went on a few dates with and by the time I reached the end, the more I thought about it, the more I :yikes: and I just have to vent.

It's a story of an incredibly magically-gifted teenager who at first just seems angsty, but gradually reveals himself to be a sociopathic narcissist who blames everyone but himself for his own failures. After he graduates from school, he coasts on the sacrifices of those around him and the magical community's plutocratic indulgence of all its failson layabouts. At several points along the way, whatshisface has a momentary flash of self-awareness and questions whether he's actually to blame, but immediately pulls a Principal Skinner and blames everyone else. I'd thought this was leading up to some sort of comeuppance and real character growth, but, nope, his companions lose their lives against the big bad while the protagonist flails about ineffectually. He then goes back to Earth, gets handed a high-paying corporate job where he does literally nothing and mopes, before his surviving companions resurface in the final page to literally call out the unfinished plot points and allow the sequel to start with things more or less reset.

I'm genuinely confused about the authorial intent. Is the protagonist just an author surrogate and this is his actual mindset? Is the author just writing pulp and deliberately insulting the reader? Most bad books I just let go, but this one and its apparent popularity just confounds me enough to plague me months after I read it.

Oh, and there's a sex scene that is kind of explicitly non-consensual, but is explained away as "they were just literal unthinking animals at the time, guys, so it's all good!"

Quentin was a deliberate attempt by the author to write an anti-Harry Potter, he is intentionally mediocre all the way through the series to try and subvert the "chosen one" protagonist, it's also worth pointing out that he has clinical depression.

The authors intent was that he is like a teenager in the early books and he grows up some by the end but it's really not worth reading the rest of the books to get there.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 18, 2020

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

Does The Magicians count as urban fantasy? I read the first book on the recommendation of a gal I went on a few dates with and by the time I reached the end, the more I thought about it, the more I :yikes: and I just have to vent. Spoilers ahead.

It's just a terrible book through and through.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Hub Cat posted:

Quentin was a deliberate attempt by the author to write an anti-Harry Potter, he is intentionally mediocre all the way through the series to try and subvert the "chosen one" protagonist, it's also worth pointing out that he has clinical depression.

The authors intent was that he is like a teenager in the early books and he grows up some by the end but it's really not worth reading the rest of the books to get there.

It’s also the book’s deliberate intention to portray a magical university that functions like an actual elite Ivy League college (Lev Grossman went to both Harvard and Yale.) including the crippling neuroses of many of the students, their deep personal dissatisfaction, and the systematic rewarding of bad behavior and enforced inequality.

It’s Less Than Zero, but magic.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It’s also the book’s deliberate intention to portray a magical university that functions like an actual elite Ivy League college (Lev Grossman went to both Harvard and Yale.) including the crippling neuroses of many of the students, their deep personal dissatisfaction, and the systematic rewarding of bad behavior and enforced inequality.

It’s Less Than Zero, but magic.

It sounds like an interesting attempt but not something I have any desire to read.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

It's a more interesting book to analyze than read, for sure. Lev is not a compelling author, but his one weird idea is interesting.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I think this is part of what leaves me taken aback: there's just enough hints throughout the book that one could walk away with the impression that it's all a bitter satire of that world, but it's left so ambiguous that it's just as easy to believe the author genuinely doesn't see the hypocrisies he describes because he was steeped in it. I get the impression that fans of the book think it's all played straight, though I don't have more than a couple person sample.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
has there ever been an urban fantasy story about drug kingpin wizards selling illicit magic potions on the streets

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Literally the plot of the first Dresden book

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I looked up the first book and nah that sucks I mean like wizards in robes and beards on the street being like "Hey kid, want some eye of newt"

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

Literally the plot of the first Dresden book

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I looked up the first book and nah that sucks I mean like wizards in robes and beards on the street being like "Hey kid, want some eye of newt"
The Low Town books by Polansky, pretty much. Wizard crime thriller.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 18, 2020

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Cugel the Clever posted:

If you’re looking for actual character growth for Quentin, you won’t find it until the second and third books. He is a deeply flawed man child who has the power of a god but feels inadequate. You should definitely watch the SyFy series though. After the first few episodes it gets really good, and Quentin has a lot of growth throughout, especially by the third season.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i strictly absolutely cannot recommend the magicians just because of the loving terrible awful no good rape scene in the second book, but i will say that i really enjoyed julia's arc outside of that? 90% of it felt solid, it's just that 10% that ruins it for me.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I just finished the first Sandman Slim novel. I saw it mentioned in the op briefly but don't see much talk about the series. I thought it was a fun enough story, might keep going. I guess it's not a thread favorite, does it get worse or something?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I just finished the first Sandman Slim novel. I saw it mentioned in the op briefly but don't see much talk about the series. I thought it was a fun enough story, might keep going. I guess it's not a thread favorite, does it get worse or something?

Consensus was book one was a real good step, book 2 was a serious step back. After that, no consensus at all. Some like them, some hate them.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Borrowed Ladder posted:

It's exactly what you'd think it is the whole way through. They're all up on Kindle Unlimited so.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Borrowed Ladder posted:

There just isn't much to talk about, the series isn't exactly deep or difficult to follow.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Borrowed Ladder posted:

The series is a blast. If you liked the first one, keep going.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
The Sandman Slim series is like you took Dresden and took out all the feminist friendly material.
DRESDEN for Christ sake. It's male fantasy on steroids.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wizchine posted:

The series is a blast. If you liked the first one, keep going.

:agreed:

There just isn't much to talk about, the series isn't exactly deep or difficult to follow.

That's Urban Fantasy in a nutshell.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Proteus Jones posted:

:agreed:

That's Urban Fantasy in a nutshell.

The difference being Sandman Slim is Mary Sue turned up to 11.

His most basic magic attack lays waste to everything that isn't God & nothing ever stands a chance of killing him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

It's exactly what you'd think it is the whole way through.

This is it, really. There's no "The first books are a bit rough but it picks up at book 3" like with Dresden or Verus. What you see is what you get for the entire series.