Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Everyone posted:

What sexual assault scene? I ask because I haven't read book 2 since it came out nine years ago in 2012.

Meredith using mind magic to get Alex to sleep with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Here’s some thread necromancy, with no group sex. I caught up on the thread for the first time since 2015, which meant reading this gem—among countless predictions of “Peace Talks next year for sure”:

biracial bear for uncut posted:

(Nicodemus should be played by) Tom Ellis, once that Lucifer TV show gets cancelled.

Well, looks like we still have another year or two to convince Netflix to rehire Ellis for the new position. :v:

(I enjoyed the parallels between the Lucifer TV series and the Harry Dresden character pre/post Changes. Killed off unexpectedly, then miraculously resurrected, with a marked change in scope/tone/quality before vs after the break.)

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I just finished the first four Sandman Slim books- they were a lot of fun, in a lot of ways they reminded me of Alex Verus in the sense that this felt like the kind of book Jim Butcher thought he was writing with The Dresden Files. My only big, recurring complaint is that Stark didn't consistently click for me- it felt like his personality wildly deviated between genuine bastard and haunted good person who used scars to cover his hurt. It felt almost like the author was worried about making him too much of a jackass, and overcompensated too much in the other direction- most of my favorite scenes are the ones where Stark and his friends are just genuinely kind of garbage people, like when he's the devil and scaring the hell out of some animatronics wizard, and his girlfriend casually goes 'We're gonna nail wheels to your legs and ride you like a horsie,' not because Stark needs help intimidating the poor man but just because it's kinda funny.

Also wasn't a fan of Alice casually going 'Oh yeah, in addition to being murdered I was also raped, that felt gross and unnecessary, but thankfully it was just a throwaway line.

Fun books, though!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So now that I'm completely through the Verus series to date:

I got a little grumpy for a while about the general change in tone in the last two books though I can't really say it wasn't earned, or that it wasn't coming. I definitely like Alex Verus, Hanging On By The Skin Of His Teeth better than Alex Verus, Murderhobo though. (It's not really that huge a change in his character, I guess; Alex was always the dude who would prioritize keeping himself and his friends alive over every other consideration, and the best you could say for him is that he would at least try not to go on killing sprees if there was another way. Now he's just much more capable of killing sprees, but that's not really as interesting to read.)

Jacka does a great job of presenting Alex as an unreliable narrator. Not that he's lying to us (though certainly to himself), but he's blinded by his own perspective and we the readers get to see a bit beyond that from time to time.

I'll be interested to see how things pan out in the last book.

Also I have definitely watched way too much Arrowverse stuff in the last year but Cinder is 100% Dominic Purcell's portrayal of Mick Rory, right? Right?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

docbeard posted:

Also I have definitely watched way too much Arrowverse stuff in the last year but Cinder is 100% Dominic Purcell's portrayal of Mick Rory, right? Right?

Only if Cinder writes a series of trashy but extremely popular action romance novels.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

docbeard posted:

So now that I'm completely through the Verus series to date:

I got a little grumpy for a while about the general change in tone in the last two books though I can't really say it wasn't earned, or that it wasn't coming. I definitely like Alex Verus, Hanging On By The Skin Of His Teeth better than Alex Verus, Murderhobo though. (It's not really that huge a change in his character, I guess; Alex was always the dude who would prioritize keeping himself and his friends alive over every other consideration, and the best you could say for him is that he would at least try not to go on killing sprees if there was another way. Now he's just much more capable of killing sprees, but that's not really as interesting to read.)

Jacka does a great job of presenting Alex as an unreliable narrator. Not that he's lying to us (though certainly to himself), but he's blinded by his own perspective and we the readers get to see a bit beyond that from time to time.

I'll be interested to see how things pan out in the last book.

I avoid the CW like the plague, but if you give the Verus audio books a shot you'll get a better idea of the intended tone for Cinder's character.

The narrator does a very good job of having unique and consistent voices for each character, and their "voice" for Cinder is perfect.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

I avoid the CW like the plague

I haven't been avoiding the CW exactly, but I have kind of lost track/interest in it over the past couple of years.

I will say that Legends of Tomorrow got kind of bat-poo poo crazy in the best of ways. Season Two was a huge improvement over the first season and the show more fun in Season with the addition of Tala Ashe. Plus Matt Ryan was perfect as John Constantine.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

What did you think of how the stuff with Rachel and Drakh concluded? Besides the Anne stuff I think that was my biggest disappointment in the series- Drakh was really well-established as a scary eldritch threat guy, so boiling him down to "Lol, he's Verus except with another djinn, because everyone has a djinn" felt like a real letdown, especially since after multiple books of talking up the Rachel stuff, it turns out that the prophesied thing was basically "Distract a guy for a second so you can shoot him."

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

What did you think of how the stuff with Rachel and Drakh concluded? Besides the Anne stuff I think that was my biggest disappointment in the series- Drakh was really well-established as a scary eldritch threat guy, so boiling him down to "Lol, he's Verus except with another djinn, because everyone has a djinn" felt like a real letdown, especially since after multiple books of talking up the Rachel stuff, it turns out that the prophesied thing was basically "Distract a guy for a second so you can shoot him."

As long as there's a possibility for a diviner to win, the diviner wins. This is insane bullshit hampered only by the opposition being able to melt the whole building and teleport. Verus uses repeatedly uses a minor power boost, an artifact, circumstances to beat people he shouldn't be able to.

Its completely logical for an amoral diviner rear end in a top hat to shore up his weakness and therefore become basically untouchable. This explains said dickwad taking a diviner as an apprentice, with an explicit plan to either give his power to another mage or for him to take another mage's power. I'm not surprised about the power up being a djinn because they've been in the books since the start along side that mages are assholes to magical creatures.

w.r.t to Rachel, I thought it was hilarious was appropriately cynical.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

docbeard posted:

For some reason I've always pictured Cinder as Fat Chance from The Venture Bros.

I agree with the opinion I've seen a lot in this thread that the direction the Verus series has taken in the last couple books isn't particularly satisfactory for me. I'm almost certainly going to read the last book and will look forward to checking out whatever's next for the author, though.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

Richard being another diviner was more or less inevitable for thematic reasons if nothing else. I haven't found anything about him to be that disappointing, mostly because he's always been Alex's personal nightmare, and it became increasingly clear that that's because of the circumstances of their relationship rather than because Richard was objectively some sort of unbeatable superwizard (except to the extent that diviners are really loving powerful in their way).

Rachel...yeah, I'm a bit disappointed, less with the idea that redemption arcs only work if the person has any desire to be redeemed, which is fair enough, than with the general idea that trying to help friends who make bad choices is stupid and naive and what you should really do is kill them as hard as possible.

For the record, I've really enjoyed the series in spite of some disappointing turns here at the end and I'm fully onboard to see how it turns out.

Although...drat, I kind of expected it going in but the Babylon 5 references are REALLY blatant, aren't they?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Speaking of Richard, after finding that he's also a Diviner I'm a bit confused that it wasn't obvious after the time Alex had a meeting with him and considered just stabbing him there and then. He did think to himself that he was surprised the fight would be so close, but he apparently could not see that he'd be getting counter-divined. Unless I am misremember and that was after Alex knew?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Darkrenown posted:

Speaking of Richard, after finding that he's also a Diviner I'm a bit confused that it wasn't obvious after the time Alex had a meeting with him and considered just stabbing him there and then. He did think to himself that he was surprised the fight would be so close, but he apparently could not see that he'd be getting counter-divined. Unless I am misremember and that was after Alex knew?

It may be difficult for dividers to predict other dividers, mutually. There's a recursivity issue.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering but isn't that part of what clued Alex in that Richard was probably a diviner?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It may be difficult for dividers to predict other dividers, mutually. There's a recursivity issue.

One of the things I noticed as I read is that divination seems to be more or less unblockable and undetectable by other mages or magical protections, even those who are generally capable of blocking things like mental magic or time magic or whatever. The only things I ever remember even slowing Alex's divination down (aside from the built-in limitations like free will or there just being too many potential futures to sort through) were the wards in Crystal/Vitus's mansion in whichever book the apprentice tournament was in.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

docbeard posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering but isn't that part of what clued Alex in that Richard was probably a diviner?

Could be, but I don't think he was convinced by it at the time.

And yeah, I expect Diviner vs Diviner fights could cause some problems, I just though Alex would recognise it either by "hey, how is he countering my every move?" or "why are we both just standing there motionless in every future?". It could aslo be that Alex just has no idea what a Diviner fight looks like and doesn't consider it much because they are so rare. I should just re-read the books and get a better idea of what actually happened and what was foreshadowed.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Darkrenown posted:

Could be, but I don't think he was convinced by it at the time.

And yeah, I expect Diviner vs Diviner fights could cause some problems, I just though Alex would recognise it either by "hey, how is he countering my every move?" or "why are we both just standing there motionless in every future?". It could aslo be that Alex just has no idea what a Diviner fight looks like and doesn't consider it much because they are so rare. I should just re-read the books and get a better idea of what actually happened and what was foreshadowed.

Yeah, he suspected it but didn't settle on it until after he hauled off and punched Richard without thinking about it first and the punch landed.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Yeah, he suspected it but didn't settle on it until after he hauled off and punched Richard without thinking about it first and the punch landed.

There is a similar thing in the mistborn series. In a fight with someone who can see the future the solution was basically stop thinking and act off random instinct.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Keystoned posted:

There is a similar thing in the mistborn series. In a fight with someone who can see the future the solution was basically stop thinking and act off random instinct.

It's also pretty much how Deadpool beats people that can read/react to intent in a fight (Taskmaster, telepaths, etc.).

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

docbeard posted:

Rachel...yeah, I'm a bit disappointed, less with the idea that redemption arcs only work if the person has any desire to be redeemed, which is fair enough, than with the general idea that trying to help friends who make bad choices is stupid and naive and what you should really do is kill them as hard as possible.

A couple of points. First, Alex and Rachel were never friends IIRC. He's become friends with people who cared about Rachel (Cinder and ghost or whatever of the apprentice whose name I can't be arsed to look up), but any attempts Alex made to "save" Rachel where always for them, not for Rachel herself.

Second, there is a big difference between friends/people who make bad choices and somebody who willfully pursues a path to the destruction of themselves and/or others. In the first case you should be willing to reach out or extend some measure of help and consideration. In the second case you should be willing to do that as well. However, there also needs to come a point where you recognize a willfully destructive path for what it is and you need to be wiling to cut that person loose before you end up going down their path with them.

I mean, Dr. Harleen Quinzel tried to help the Joker and.... it did not go well for her.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Everyone posted:

A couple of points. First, Alex and Rachel were never friends IIRC. He's become friends with people who cared about Rachel (Cinder and ghost or whatever of the apprentice whose name I can't be arsed to look up), but any attempts Alex made to "save" Rachel where always for them, not for Rachel herself.

Second, there is a big difference between friends/people who make bad choices and somebody who willfully pursues a path to the destruction of themselves and/or others. In the first case you should be willing to reach out or extend some measure of help and consideration. In the second case you should be willing to do that as well. However, there also needs to come a point where you recognize a willfully destructive path for what it is and you need to be wiling to cut that person loose before you end up going down their path with them.

I mean, Dr. Harleen Quinzel tried to help the Joker and.... it did not go well for her.

The name you can't remember that was repeated a lot throughout the series is Shireen.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I like the direction Verus has taken but I understand why others wouldn't. I like the unfolding logic of his choices; he's being effectively forced to become a villain and it's a neat exploration of that character "development".

The overall treatment of Anne is what I see as the series weak point, in a few different ways.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

docbeard posted:

I don't think that's the takeaway at all, Rachel has been actively trying to kill him throughout the series and even though he's powered up enough to _probably_ win without killing her, I don't think it's reasonable to continue to expect him to take the high road. He's not killing her just because he's done trying to help, it's self-defense.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

The overall treatment of Anne is what I see as the series weak point, in a few different ways.

Gonna be hilarious when Anne kicks the Djinn out on her own and everyone else is just left standing around like a bunch of useless plot devices.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Everyone posted:

Yeah, I don't think you're wrong about any of this, it just didn't really come across well for me.

Yeah, no question. I'm still trying to sort out how I feel about Anne's story in about twenty different ways but I think making the Shadows jinn so central to the story as a whole and to her story in particular came way too late to have the desired impact, for one.

Also hahahaha I'd almost forgotten, Sheridan's Shadow-possessed wife in B5 is called Anna.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The name you can't remember that was repeated a lot throughout the series is Shireen.

The last book, Forged came out in November of last year. I got it the day it came out and read it over the next day or two, then I put it on a shelf and haven't really looked at any of the series since then.

docbeard posted:

Yeah, I don't think you're wrong about any of this, it just didn't really come across well for me.

Yeah, no question. I'm still trying to sort out how I feel about Anne's story in about twenty different ways but I think making the Shadows jinn so central to the story as a whole and to her story in particular came way too late to have the desired impact, for one.

Also hahahaha I'd almost forgotten, Sheridan's Shadow-possessed wife in B5 is called Anna.

When the last book comes out I'll be torn between doing a full series re-read or a Babylon5 rewatch to make sure I catch all the references.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Cugel the Clever posted:

For some reason I've always pictured Cinder as Fat Chance from The Venture Bros.

I agree with the opinion I've seen a lot in this thread that the direction the Verus series has taken in the last couple books isn't particularly satisfactory for me. I'm almost certainly going to read the last book and will look forward to checking out whatever's next for the author, though.

I always figured he looked like the bulky black heared dude from metalocalypse (not that I've actually seen the show, so I have no idea if the character fits, just how I imagined him to look)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I just finished a very long web serial (Now You Feel Like Number None, for the curious). The focus was definitely primarily on the protagonist's relationships with her fellow ghosts and attempts to build an actual society of undead in the Hollow World, and secondarily on the cataclysmic battle to attack and dethrone god; and while I do enjoy the occasional epic battle and will happily take as much cozy undead lesbian domesticity as I can carry, the bits that I enjoyed the most were actually the mundane (for lack of a better word), slice-of-life interactions between Nemo and her fellow ghosts, and the humans -- both the superpowered humans who are participating in the whole fate-of-the-universe stuff and the ones who can see ghosts but are pretty much sitting this one out otherwise.

Like, the bits where a goth medium finds Nemo haunting a clothing store and gives her fashion advice, or Esme gets adopted by a bunch of bunch of ghost hunters, or the government of the afterlife shows up in a maelstrom of darkess and thunder to congratulate some of their human friends on their first day at university and give them a houseplant and some snacks? I would read an entire series of that.

So -- any recommendations? You get some of this in Seanan McGuire's urban fantasy series (I am especially thinking of InCryptid here, but Ghost Roads and October Daye have a bit of it as well), and Jim Hines's Magic Ex Libris books, but it's not a significant element of either.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
You have probably already tried Katalepsis right?

If not then it sounds like it might have been written for you.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Lot 49 posted:

You have probably already tried Katalepsis right?

If not then it sounds like it might have been written for you.

I've never even heard of it, and it does look like it's Extremely My poo poo, but it's also unfinished, so that goes on the backburner until it's done.

gerg_861
Jan 2, 2009
New Craig Schaefer out called The Hungry Dreaming. This is set in the Ghosts of Gotham universe, but isn't a direct sequel (new characters). It is quite low on the supernatural for the first 2/3rds, and reads as more of a horror novel, then the magic explodes in the climax of the novel. I enjoyed it, and in particular, I loved that the final confrontation with the big bad was resolved in a very clever way, and wasn't just "so I punched EVEN HARDER."

gerg_861 fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 8, 2021

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

gerg_861 posted:

New Craig Schaefer out called The Hungry Dreaming. This is set in the Ghosts of Gotham universe, but isn't a direct sequel (new characters). It is quite low on the supernatural for the first 2/3rds, and reads as more of a horror novel, then the magic explodes in the climax of the novel. I enjoyed it, and in particular, I loved that the final bad confrontation with the big bad was resolved in a very clever way, and was in no way "so I punched EVEN HARDER."

Oh the other hand, I gave up on it about 20% of the way through because it was dragging so much. It felt like a very slow, generic, American cop/hard-bitten journalist investigation plot with a bit of supernatural thrown on top.

I think it was made worse for me coming directly from Schaefer's other newish book, Black tie required (Harmony Black) which I didn't much enjoy either. I just found the way Harmony and co were gleefully talking about how anyone who dared commit the terrible crime of cheating Vegas casinos are scum who deserve 25-life while they themselves are operating outside the law very distasteful (Harmony even executes a guy in cold blood towards the end. It is to stop him suffering terrible torture + avoiding the cost of failing to catch him, but it's still very much an illegal murder). Of course, they are all FBI agents so it makes perfect sense they love harsh punishments for the "bad people" who do crimes against the rich while ignoring their own much worse crimes against regular people, but I didn't enjoy them as protagonists.

gerg_861
Jan 2, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

Oh the other hand, I gave up on it about 20% of the way through because it was dragging so much. It felt like a very slow, generic, American cop/hard-bitten journalist investigation plot with a bit of supernatural thrown on top.

I think it was made worse for me coming directly from Schaefer's other newish book, Black tie required (Harmony Black) which I didn't much enjoy either. I just found the way Harmony and co were gleefully talking about how anyone who dared commit the terrible crime of cheating Vegas casinos are scum who deserve 25-life while they themselves are operating outside the law very distasteful (Harmony even executes a guy in cold blood towards the end. It is to stop him suffering terrible torture + avoiding the cost of failing to catch him, but it's still very much an illegal murder). Of course, they are all FBI agents so it makes perfect sense they love harsh punishments for the "bad people" who do crimes against the rich while ignoring their own much worse crimes against regular people, but I didn't enjoy them as protagonists.

Not going to disagree that this started slow, it was one of those novels where it took me 3 days to read the first half and 3 hours to read the second half. Fair warning, The Hungry Dreaming is also Schaefer's longest book. Harmony Black is fine, but I wouldn't read it if it didn't cross over with Faust.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

gerg_861 posted:

Not going to disagree that this started slow, it was one of those novels where it took me 3 days to read the first half and 3 hours to read the second half. Fair warning, The Hungry Dreaming is also Schaefer's longest book. Harmony Black is fine, but I wouldn't read it if it didn't cross over with Faust.

Hungry dreaming was also originally a serial with a weekly release on his Patreon, which probably explains some of the weird pacing issues.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Darkrenown posted:

Except that's not what happened? Harmony was posing as a gaming-board agent to rattle the bad guy into making a dumb move, then she and Jessie played bad cop-bad cop to scare the dealer into cooperating. It was an act, not their actual feelings. IIRC, it's even made clear they had no intention of arresting the dealer; they needed her cooperation to try and keep her from getting herself killed or blowing their operation, and scaring her was the best way to do it.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I'm not talking about their act, her talking to her fellow agents and internal monologue go on about what a terrible felony cheating the casino is.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

xsf421 posted:

Hungry dreaming was also originally a serial with a weekly release on his Patreon, which probably explains some of the weird pacing issues.

I backed it on Patreon and it still had pacing issues with the weekly releases and stalled out a few times on the first couple of chapters. It does pick up towards the halfway point and I really liked it overall. However it does feel like the most structured of his books and it does a deep dive into the history of NYC. Schaefer did a write up once he finished the book that goes into how his writing process is different depending on the series. There's a four part breakdown of his outlining process on his Patreon, I am not sure if it is available for free but here's the link:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/outlining-part-48534656

Edit: I just checked in another browser, unfortunately, it's paywalled. However if you're interested in his process for $2 you get the whole of the Hungry Dreaming and his next project, Any Minor World, which has around 32 chapters released so far. I haven't started it yet, and for the life of me cannot find his original post/synopsis of it.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
I'm not sure what thread to post this in but the the new Joe Ledger book is goooooooood.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Everyone posted:

I'm not sure what thread to post this in but the the new Joe Ledger book is goooooooood.

I'm sure it sort of barely counts. There's definitely some Lovecraftian elements in a bunch of the books.

Thanks for the news, though. I've been waiting for this book, especially after that gut punch of an ending in Rage

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm sure it sort of barely counts. There's definitely some Lovecraftian elements in a bunch of the books.

Thanks for the news, though. I've been waiting for this book, especially after that gut punch of an ending in Rage

If those count then the Threshold series by Peter Clines probably counts, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

13 and The Fold are good fun. I wouldn't bother reading the 2 semi-sequels of Dead Moon and Terminus however.