Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I should try some of those, I'd mostly written a lot of those authors off as more "paranormal romance" than "urban fantasy". Seanan McGuire especially, in the October Daye series she kept retconning things in annoying ways and then it was all magical kittykat boyfriend all the time and I just checked out.

What I really miss is the first few books of Dresden where the noir influence was still strong and it hadn't devolved into a MMORPG with level-ups. Even Alex Verus is over now and Jacka's new series is expressly progression fantasy.

You know this, but Anita Blake 1-9 are extremely heavy on the noir influence. Beyond that there's still noir, but, well, thread title.

Of the ones I mentioned above -

Sagara writes fantasy.
Kim Harrison is more of a comedy of errors mixed with a noir supernatural adventure.
Patricia Briggs is back to the noir side of things, but nowhere near as gritty...sometimes.
Nalini Singh is firmly paranormal romance, but her Archangel series gets kind of noir/uf sometimes? But she's clearly on the romance side of things.
McGuire, well, October Daye starts intensely tragic noir and I need to read more to see if that ever lifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

I should try some of those, I'd mostly written a lot of those authors off as more "paranormal romance" than "urban fantasy". Seanan McGuire especially, in the October Daye series she kept retconning things in annoying ways and then it was all magical kittykat boyfriend all the time and I just checked out.

What I really miss is the first few books of Dresden where the noir influence was still strong and it hadn't devolved into a MMORPG with level-ups. Even Alex Verus is over now and Jacka's new series is expressly progression fantasy.

If you haven't tried them, I would recommend Stephen Blackmoore's Eric Carter series. It's sort of a middle point between Dresden, Sandman Slim and Daniel Faust. The first three books take a bit to get their footing but I would recommend the stand alone City of the Lost that is shared setting.

I finally got around to reading Incryptid after bouncing off of McGuire earlier, and find them an enjoyable read. Kate Griffin's Midnight Mayor/Matthew Swift books are also a decent pickup, though they can take a bit to get into.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'm just finishing up a relisten of the October Daye books and one of the things I noticed, hearing those early books for the second time, is how much is actually set up for reveals down the road. None of the reveals have felt like bullshit to me. I also have a low tolerance for romance in general and cis/het romance specifically and the books don't feel very romance heavy, even the one specifically about her wedding.

Now, the Incryptid books, those had me fast forwarding through some poo poo.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

Now, the Incryptid books, those had me fast forwarding through some poo poo.

Amusingly one of the reasons I like the InCryptid stuff over other UF is the romance is so toned down comparatively.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

The new Felix Castor novella (The Ghost in Bone) is a good read for this, just a return to a nice and grimy supernatural mystery.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I have a loved one who has fallen down the rabbit hole of what I would term "low quality werewolf erotica." The thing is...she skips the sex scenes which she terms 'annoying', but she's into the whole Alpha thing. She's on this app where she keeps listening to commercials to unlock 5 minutes of content.

I'd like to direct her to some higher quality content, but it's been aaages since I read any and I don't remember which series were tolerable and which devolved into endless orgies. No shame if that's your thing, they were very readable.

I seem to remember the Kitty books weren't too bad. Any other ideas?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Beachcomber posted:

I have a loved one who has fallen down the rabbit hole of what I would term "low quality werewolf erotica." The thing is...she skips the sex scenes which she terms 'annoying', but she's into the whole Alpha thing. She's on this app where she keeps listening to commercials to unlock 5 minutes of content.

I'd like to direct her to some higher quality content, but it's been aaages since I read any and I don't remember which series were tolerable and which devolved into endless orgies. No shame if that's your thing, they were very readable.

I seem to remember the Kitty books weren't too bad. Any other ideas?

I nominate the Mercy Thompson series and related Alpha and Omega series, both by Patricia Briggs. I always recommend them because I think they're one of the best series out there. But for your loved one specifically, she can get her Alpha werewolf romances, but well-written and without the tawdry sex scenes. The series starts off with her split between two men (probably some publisher-required bullshit) but it's quickly resolved by the third book. Spoiler trigger warning though: The protagonist is also raped in the third book.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Dubious quality shifter romance you say?

Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews
Magical midlife madness by KF Breene
World of the Lupi by Eileen Wilkes

All involve wolves but the first two's love interests are a tiger and polar bear respectively

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Azhais posted:

All involve wolves but the first two's love interests are a tiger and polar bear respectively

for some reason this just killed me. i was already losing it at ad-supported family friendly radio-edits of second rate werewolf erotica but polar bear love interests was just a bridge too far

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

awesmoe posted:

for some reason this just killed me. i was already losing it at ad-supported family friendly radio-edits of second rate werewolf erotica but polar bear love interests was just a bridge too far

There is also a silverback gorilla shifter named Broken Sue.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
What would be the worst were-thing to enter a paranormal romance with?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Were-tapeworm

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Depends on whether you're looking at physical or personality traits.

Either way it's goose.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

were-rat of course

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Wizchine posted:

I nominate the Mercy Thompson series and related Alpha and Omega series, both by Patricia Briggs. I always recommend them because I think they're one of the best series out there. But for your loved one specifically, she can get her Alpha werewolf romances, but well-written and without the tawdry sex scenes. The series starts off with her split between two men (probably some publisher-required bullshit) but it's quickly resolved by the third book. Spoiler trigger warning though: The protagonist is also raped in the third book.

Sex scenes exist in the series, but not the steamy erotica of the worst of that ilk. Cringe inducing but not explicit. Also strong emphasis on the Alpha bit, so it really fits OPs ideal.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Incryptid has a Tanooki (small raccoon dog) in a relationship with a waheela (giant loving werewolf that stands on 2 legs).

Speaking of Incryptid, the last few books have been pretty dark. Aftermarket Afterlife spoilers: Jane and Dominick both killed in rapid succession. Artie effectively dead as his brain is fundamentally broken and poorly reconstructed. Sarah spiraling towards a dark phoenix moment. The series seems like it’s heading for a conclusion soon and it probably won’t be a happy one.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

torgeaux posted:

Sex scenes exist in the series, but not the steamy erotica of the worst of that ilk. Cringe inducing but not explicit. Also strong emphasis on the Alpha bit, so it really fits OPs ideal.

Yeah, I should have clarified better; there's sex, but no purple prose regarding it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Shelly Laurenston's shifter books aren't bad

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Saltpowered posted:

Incryptid has a Tanooki (small raccoon dog) in a relationship with a waheela (giant loving werewolf that stands on 2 legs).

Speaking of Incryptid, the last few books have been pretty dark. Aftermarket Afterlife spoilers: Jane and Dominick both killed in rapid succession. Artie effectively dead as his brain is fundamentally broken and poorly reconstructed. Sarah spiraling towards a dark phoenix moment. The series seems like it’s heading for a conclusion soon and it probably won’t be a happy one.

I saw that was out and was planning on a relisten after I finish Murderbot.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Saltpowered posted:

Speaking of Incryptid, the last few books have been pretty dark. Aftermarket Afterlife spoilers:

Spoiler tag didn’t work for me, but glad to know there’s another in the series I need to pick up.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

I tried to find the release date of the next Dresden Files book, hoping for a surprise like the last time I looked when two books had been released under my radar. No such luck.

Oh well. Butcher's The Olympian Affair is very enjoyable. Butcher needed to take a break from writing a smartass, loud mouthed hero, and the restrictions of the quasi-Victorian Age setting with a quiet main character built on bottomless conviction and a clear moral compass is a nice change of pace.

Don't worry though, Butcher still gets to insert some trademark male gaze and horniness here and there, made better with setting-appropriate euphemism use.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

MadJackal posted:

I tried to find the release date of the next Dresden Files book, hoping for a surprise like the last time I looked when two books had been released under my radar. No such luck.

Oh well. Butcher's The Olympian Affair is very enjoyable. Butcher needed to take a break from writing a smartass, loud mouthed hero, and the restrictions of the quasi-Victorian Age setting with a quiet main character built on bottomless conviction and a clear moral compass is a nice change of pace.

Don't worry though, Butcher still gets to insert some trademark male gaze and horniness here and there, made better with setting-appropriate euphemism use.

And the cats?

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I decided to do a complete re-read of The Dresden Files since I'm on deployment. Okay not a FULL reread, I skipped Fool Moon, and I will not apologize. I'm on Summer Knight right now. I know it's basically a meme now, but boy did I forget just how bad the male gaze was way back when.

There was a funny/sad moment in Grave Peril where Rudolf tells Harry something like, "If you let Murphy get hurt I'll kill you."

Ah, they were all so young.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I listened to fool moon on audiobook while working last year, it was much better than I remembered.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I like Full Moon. I just think it is the weakest Dresden book.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Sadly, Dresden Files and I have gone our separate ways at this point. Not Butchers fault, not the books fault, I'm just not the same person anymore that first picked up Summer Knight and fully bought into the series. I've changed, and Dresden hasn't, and I'm taking a weirder road than urban fantasy these days.

I'll still pick up the latest book in paperback whenever that happens, just for nostalgia's sake, but I'm not actively waiting for it either.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

rndmnmbr posted:

Sadly, Dresden Files and I have gone our separate ways at this point. Not Butchers fault, not the books fault, I'm just not the same person anymore that first picked up Summer Knight and fully bought into the series. I've changed, and Dresden hasn't, and I'm taking a weirder road than urban fantasy these days.

I'll still pick up the latest book in paperback whenever that happens, just for nostalgia's sake, but I'm not actively waiting for it either.

This is kind of my feeling too. It got me into the urban fantasy genre, but all the books it inspired are just better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Killing Murphy off so he could write more about sex vampires made it clear that whatever Butcher wanted from the series is not what I wanted.

Admittedly the COVID denial did that first.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
It doesn’t help that Dresden seems to have gone from a book a year to a book every five years or so.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
now that murphy's dead maybe the books will stop randomly going on about how great the local cops are. the local cops, of course, being the chicago pd.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Killing Murphy off so he could write more about sex vampires made it clear that whatever Butcher wanted from the series is not what I wanted.

Admittedly the COVID denial did that first.

Pah, she's obviously coming back for the ending, given that she's literally part of an army that's supposed to show up for Ragnarok.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Tunzie posted:

It doesn’t help that Dresden seems to have gone from a book a year to a book every five years or so.

Dresden lived on the quick ride and downhill pacing in each book and ironically no one is interested in waiting a decade for that kind of quick read

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I think it's just that butchers hot new cosplay wife probably isn't as good at helping him write as his professional writer ex wife was.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

I think it's just that butchers hot new cosplay wife probably isn't as good at helping him write as his professional writer ex wife was.

He's also added the Codex Alara and Cinder Spires series, so gotta rotate three books

Could always start reading James Butcher instead

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Codex Alera finished with book 6, afaik.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

The sacrifices we make for love…

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

Codex Alera finished with book 6, afaik.

yes, 15 years ago.
the son is the better writer, IMO, I enjoyed the two books he's put out so far.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Doktor Avalanche posted:

yes, 15 years ago.
the son is the better writer, IMO, I enjoyed the two books he's put out so far.

I actually agree entirely that his son is the better writer. I hate pretty much all the Dresden Files books, but I actually didn't think his son's debut was that bad. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Killing Murphy off so he could write more about sex vampires

I recall Murphy getting killed off/permanently sidelined being something that most of the thread assumed was imminent for a while before it happened, and for valid story-telling reasons. I mean even if she was in her early/mid 20's at the beginning of the series (IDK about cop ranks, but isn't an LT somewhat up there?), she's still past her prime physically by Battle Ground, and that's not even taking into account that absolute grinder her body has gone through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I recall Murphy getting killed off/permanently sidelined being something that most of the thread assumed was imminent for a while before it happened, and for valid story-telling reasons. I mean even if she was in her early/mid 20's at the beginning of the series (IDK about cop ranks, but isn't an LT somewhat up there?), she's still past her prime physically by Battle Ground, and that's not even taking into account that absolute grinder her body has gone through.

Yeah, you can't go to police academy in Chicago until 21, which takes 6 months, then must spend 5 years as an officer before you can be recommended for training for promotion to sergeant, then once that is complete and promotion happens there must be 3 years before being recommended for training for promotion to lieutenant. The absolute youngest she could have been just based on her rank, would be a little over 30