Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Is the cousin that little girl from the railroad tracks?

I have this terrible problem where I read and enjoy the Peter Grant books, but I can never remember more than extremely vague details about what happened in which book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

torgeaux posted:

A couple of good UF books by Christopher Moore. A Dirty Job is one of my favorites, and his San Francisco vampire series is fun, and a different approach to UF.

They're all in continuity with each other, so try to read them in published order.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Sort of related question.

People recommending the Daniel Faust series, presumably you're reading it on some flavour of Kindle. How is that? I'm somewhat reluctant to make the jump.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
And there's no eyestrain?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
You've sold me. I have to wait until after Christmas as they're out of stock until we leave. Going to get the waterproof one as I'm a big bath reader, and I sometimes fall asleep in the tub.

Its got the real buttons and its pretty big.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Do we have any information on peace talks yet or can I
check out of the thread for another year

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

biracial bear for uncut posted:

The Laundry Files gets a lot better in the third book.

LOL at thinking Cinder Spires is better than even the worst Laundry Files book (Jennifer Morgue).

Jennifer Morgue was hard to get through and I really wasn't thrilled with book 3 either so I quit entirely.

People kept talking about it so I got Equioid and Rhesus Chart from the library and burned through them in 2 days, so I'm now excited to read the rest.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Every single time I need to remind myself that JDATE isn't a Jewish dating website.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I have a Stross question.

Case Nightmare Green. I understand that the increase in population and the increase in computing are Bad. I think I remember that part of the problem is the stars are becoming "right". Will the stars eventually be " wrong" again, or is Case Nightmare Green the new normal?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

AlphaDog posted:

It's a several decade (or century?) window, I think. I don't know how far through the books you are, so all I'll say is that I can't see the series ending happily.

hangedman1984 posted:

I don't remember any exact quotes, but yes, Case Nightmare Green is temporary. One of the major goals of the Laundry is to have enough defenses setup so that at least some portion of humanity is able to survive until the stars go wrong again and can rebuild.

Thanks!

I'm midway through Annihilation Score but this has been nagging at me for awhile.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I like Seanan McGuire, but I just read a paragraph where she compares being fat to being Mexican-American.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Why does Cassie start speaking twice, like "YesYes" in the middle of Nightmare Stacks?

I assume it has something to do with her face model dying. But that speech tic seems to come out nowhere and I don't remember it being explained or discussed.

Also, I finished Delirium Brief and it made me upset. Cliffhanger was almost Changes level.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I am reading Good Guys by Steven Brust, because somewhere in this thread someone recommended it.

I am on page 43 and I am already ridiculously sick of seeing people say PO-lice. loving stop already.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Khizan posted:

That's not the proper pronounciation though, and she even says something about not embracing the traditional pronounciation or something.

IIRC, the proper pronounciation is something like 'muh-VAHN-oo-ee'

I don't have the book in front of me, but she does say she pronounces it like "Tiffany", and that she knows it's incorrect.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ornamented Death posted:

He's said in the past that he had no interest in actually starting that series until Dresden was wrapped up. Whether that still holds true is another story, of course.

Way to spoil the Apocalyptic Trilogy.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Since last page people have been speaking in some sort of code.

What is/are "The Rack" and "Poochie"?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

ConfusedUs posted:

I love the last 75% if London Falling, but that first 25% is truly awful.

Is it worth pushing through? I hated it and put it down.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Hey anyone with Brief Cases!

Does your copy have a blue signature just before the title page? I think I may have lucked into a signed copy.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ornamented Death posted:

I check mine. Seems like you got lucky. Where'd you get it, out of curiosity?

Books Inc. in Mountain View Ca.

I know he's done signings there before, but I've never been able to catch one.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I feel like at some point I'll need to read Versus all at once, because a lot of the things that happened I just have trouble remembering. Dresden works fine, so I don't know what it is about Verus that escapes me.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I've never watched the series because I'm afraid it'll supersede my mental pictures of the characters. Same goes for the audio books.

Do you find that to be the case?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

biracial bear for uncut posted:

It's less urban fantasy and just general sci-fi, but whoever recommended the Wayfarer series by Becky Chambers earlier in this thread (when I was asking for something to read that wasn't horribly depressing) may be interested to know that the new book in that series is out.

Halfway through and so far it is Good. Actually, why am I even posting?

I never hear about Tom Holt, but apparently he's fairly prolific? Is there a goon consensus or individual opinions on him?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

-Fish- posted:

Running a Dresden Files Accelerated game and one of my players wants to roll up a Libriomancer. I read the first book but it was some time between the release of Cold Days and Skin Game, so it's been a while. Does anyone remember the basics of the rules behind Libriomancy or have a write-up I can peruse? I really don't want to have to relisten to the whole dang audiobook.

IIRC

1. Got to be a popular book
2. Object has to fit through the page size
3. Most living things go insane
4. Anything insanely powerful should be disallowed
5. Taking too much from one book "burns" the availability of that book.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

torgeaux posted:

No and yes. Lamb isnt, Fool is. Fool and Sacre bleu and Merchant of Venice. I have all three and cannot get into them. Does Fool get good?

I thought it was pretty good. It helps if you're familiar with Lear.

Also, you didn't mention Practical Demon keeping, Island of the sequinned Love Nun, or the one with the whales.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Every so often I imagine there's a meteor headed for Earth and needing to track him down and make him tell me what was going to happen

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Just got the email that book 10 of Alex Verus is slated for late September. I can't loving wait. :toot:

Been a while since I took a day to read a book, and I might do just that.

Really hoping we get more on his relationship with Caldera and a bit more Vari and Luna this time around.

I have some Anne news for you.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Miffany is just really fun to say.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
There's a new October Daye out. I haven't read it yet, but it was at the library. Just a PSA.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Proteus Jones posted:

That may have been more of a "new at the library"

Book 12 was released Sep 2018. Book 13 is not due out until Sep 2019.

Whoops! I'm terrible at keeping up with these things, sorry.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

:yayclod:

Now I just need to reread from book 1 because I don't remember anything.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Avalerion posted:

At least for me the “predictable and boring” applies more to something like Alex Verus with how his powers as well as his enemies are more or less still the same after however many books in we are now.

Isn't Verus' power basically save-scumming anyway?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Cythereal posted:

Butcher's also claimed that a significant part of Peace Talks is going to be showing the White Council cutting loose. Harry's good, but according to Butcher most people on the Council are just as powerful if not more so, and a lot more experienced.

If they're so great, why were they losing to the Red Court? Was it just a numbers game?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I contrast stuff like that with how basically everyone reacted to Alex's actions in book 4 and how they're still reacting to it in book 9 and mmmmm.

It's kind of bullshit that they keep harping on that with Verus. There's a limited number of ways someone with his skillset can defend himself.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
It's because Humans are God's pet project.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'm pretty sure murdering that elf at the ball is the fae equivalent of going after the biggest guy in prison your first day.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I think the Blackstaff is just a piece of wood without any special properties. It's given to a single wizard who is judged by the council to have sufficient maturity to handle the responsibility of using magical violence for the needs of wizard-kind. Accepting the staff means accepting the consequences and necessity of such actions.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

rndmnmbr posted:

Hell, #7, Thou Shall Not Open The Outer Gates, well Rashid is part and parcel of a Fae operation that does just that on a tiny scale to conduct ongoing warfare.

I got the impression that they were just defending the gates, not running sorties into the dungeon dimensions.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'm trying to remember an urban fantasy, not Dresden, where they know a lot about the secret fae world or whatever, but the main character asks about Santa and they're suddenly like "yeah, we don't know what the fucks up with that and we are absolutely done with trying to find out."

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Spider-mom Spider-mom
Always Helpful and Always calm
Is she nice? Listen friend...
Magic clothing she will mend
Watch out!
Here comes the Spider-mom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

My dumb theory is that Alex is Drakh, and that the ritual with the blood of the two adepts was him stepping into a place similar to the shadow of the shadow realm ( where they got the dream stones ), where time does funny things. I'm not 100% sold on it, but there are reasons enough for me to think it.

I also think that Morden and Drakh have a secret 'ends justify the means' agenda for changing the political landscape of Britain, and everything they're doing is in service of that goal- and nobody else knows. This is mostly based on Alex' conversation with Morden concerning his 'legacy' in the last book, and everything that's happened so far.

Third theory: Onyx is going to get the Fateweaver and it'll be his undoing and/or someone ( possibly Alex ) decides to bargain with/make common ground with Abithriax and convince him to engage in a pact to destroy a mutual foe, likely for revenge, since Abithriax is a spiteful little poo poo.

He's stated a few times that he'd be a lot better with them if he trained with them. As it is, he certainly isn't bad. That is something that makes me think of theory 1, tho.

Shouldn't training be easy for him? He can look ahead and always practice optimally.