Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I picked up The Last Sun by KD Edwards and liked it enough that I read the sequel when it came out recently. I'm thinking it might fit in here? Basically there are Atlanteans who are explicitly magical and were discovered by the rest of the world only about sixty years ago. The survivors of a brief war reign over an island off the northeast coast which they've turned into a citystate by magically grabbing buildings from all over the world. They have courts themed after the Arcana and frequently war with each other. The main character is the last survivor of the House of the Sun, who's trying to figure out who betrayed his house and take revenge while working side jobs for powerful patrons to make ends meet.

It's mostly a fun read although there's some sexual assault that happened to the main character which he's still processing. It's basically 'small fish destined for big things learns more magic.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Same, i burned through the entire series in like a month. Schaefer has a knack for writing locations that Butcher doesn't.

Slash either has lived in or bothered to do actual research on said locations.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I think there's also the fact that he was pretty isolated for decades with very few people to call friends and the sense that something he loved was slowly dying. While the few friends he had did slowly die.

Then Peter becomes his apprentice pretty much at random.

Also consider that he's been dealing with Mama Thames and her daughters since the 60s, which would probably go a long way to removing the more awkward racist impulses left over by his upbringing and culture. Is he still sometimes unfortunately old fashioned, absolutely, but he's also empathetic, observant, and slowly growing younger rather than having his brain decay.

Well. Non-magically decay.

Benagain fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 9, 2020

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
the other way you can tell is that the female usually has her paw on a small cub, and the male has his paw on a small globe.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Ooh can you give some examples of him being wrong because i know gently caress all about london

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
No judgement, I read a romance series about two groups of fae and biker gangs and poo poo. First two books were good but the ending was meh, I wanted more conflict. Trying to remember the name.