Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
gently caress the Iron Druid series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Listening to the audiobook while working today. Nearly cracked up at Marsters's reading of the various voices on the island.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Whoever keeps talking about Murphy possibly taking up Lasciel's coin. Did you not read the book?

Lasciel and Ursiel's coins are both stuck in Hades's Underworld. There is no way for them to come back unless Hades sends them back.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

docbeard posted:

Or if, for example, someone breaks into the Underworld to steal the coins back. Which Hades has made perfectly clear that he's content to allow to happen if someone's capable of getting into his Vault in the first place.

Yeah, but who is going to take that on? Marcone is very likely going to rework the Vault so it will no longer be a good Way point to that spot, at the very least, since it was intentionally set up that way to lure Nicodemus there. Nicodemus just had his poo poo royally kicked in per the exposition in the Mab/Marcone/Dresden/Molly meeting and lost a hell of a lot of influence in the Community. Nobody will work with him to pull what is essentially the same heist again.

Short of some epic Satan appearance to reclaim the coins, it just isn't going to happen.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Wittgen posted:

Who the hell was Dresden's mom? What does it mean that Dresden is starborn? Who is Cowl? Who or what arranged for the death of Dresden's parents? Who on the senior council has been compromised by Nemesis? Where is Maevre and what has she been getting up to with her absurdly dangerous Necromancy knowledge? Did Nemesis get Ferrovax? What's Elaine up to? What's up with Mac?

Just some questions I'm quite looking forward to getting answers to, off the top of my head.

Dredsen's mom was Margaret LaFay, this was answered way back in the series.

Being a starborn gives one the ability to wield power over Outsiders; Lash outright stated this before sacrificing herself to save Harry.

Cowl is the leader of the Fomor.

Lord Raith killed Dresden's mom, not sure about his dad.

Mavra already had absurdly dangerous necromancy knowledge of a sort, she probably can't use Kemmler's teachings directly and I think Jim has said something to the effect of it being one of the few times her interests were in line with everyone else's (no new Dark Gods), but she couldn't intervene directly because a necromancer would tear her to shreds.

If Nemesis has Ferrovax, everyone is hosed. He's right up there with Mab and Titania in terms of power.

Elaine is being Harry on the West Coast.

Mac is Out.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

computer parts posted:

As far as I can tell Anduriel is just a made up name, I don't know if the "And-" prefix even exists in hebrew.

Pretty sure it just means he's Uriel's opposite number in the scheme of things. Uriel, Anduriel.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Regarding that gift, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that is what Ferrovax put in Marcone's vault.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

FordPRefectLL posted:

I just finished the book about two minutes ago. Was it ever explicitly stated that Coins could only be used by humans?

It kind of threw me for a loop when Ursiel showed up in the way he did.

No. Basically anything with Free Will can take up a Coin.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I just had a thought. I hope Sanya is okay after that glimpse we got of him fighting Denarians at an exploded nuclear reactor in Iran :ohdear:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
What book was it where Harry argues with the Merlin about this? It was right after he did the Zombie Dinosaur stuff, IIRC.

The argument was never resolved, but the Merlin did acknowledge that if the White Council had the resources they'd be doing more to find and train people that had talent and said something along the lines of only being able to react to people that have taken things too far.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ImpAtom posted:

I'm curious to see how Butters avoids being a Jedi Knight Problem Solver in upcoming books.

He is going to get his rear end kicked by the Einherjar he promised to fight after getting a functional lightsaber, and spend three books in traction.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Khizan posted:

Other way around on this one.

Casting Lasciel with Lifetime Movie Villain characteristics is flying over a lot of heads.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

His Divine Shadow posted:

That makes sense, it was one of those things that bugged me a lot about this book yet another bad guy depowered I thought when I read the naglooshi reveal. And Nicodemus the supposedly invincible badguy got injured by harry lobbing some ice blocks at him or whatever it was, when in an other book shooting him with an AK or tossing him like ragdoll only gave him moments pause. This time he's injured and hurting for what hours? Also I severely disliked the winter mantle explanation by butters, if this is some attempt to make it fit some dumbass RPG as someone said, grrr...

The naagloshi in this book is not the one Dresden fought before. It also isn't even a full-blooded Naagloshi, as Gray explains with the "we don't get to choose our parents, and don't give me any poo poo about it, I know who your mother was and she was pretty loving evil" stuff.

Dresden is also playing at a much higher power level now, and I'm fairly sure smacking Nicodemus with the power of Winter itself would put a bigger hurt on him than mere bullets, especially when he's also fighting a Knight of the Mother-loving Cross at the same time and having his demon partner's powers suppressed by the sword.

He was healed right up at the final confrontation, after all.

And Butters is wrong about the Winter Mantle. Or at best, partly wrong. Harry only draws on it when he has to and spends the rest of the time suppressing it, so it's not going to do that much for him.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Tunicate posted:

I wonder if, metaphorically speaking, Michael ended the book with a complimentary bag of peanuts or a copy of Skymall.

Micheal really wouldn't be the type to try anything like that, plus he lacks the knowledge of how to even go about doing anything other than what he always did as a Knight (though the bit where he shattered Imariel/Tessa might have been an instance of it, since Nicodemus was so shocked by it).

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Dramatika posted:

Wasn't it Murphy's dad that was the ghost cop?

Though I haven't read it in quite a while either so I could certainly be mistaken.

Yeah, no, the character that was literally named "Captain Murphy" doesn't need to be spoiled in a discussion about whether the person was Dresden's dad or not.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Raygereio posted:

That might have been retconned. In Small Favor it's mentioned Ivy's mother killed herself.

I thought it was: Ivy's mother committed suicide, it's Ivy's grandmother that became a vegetable (and then died).

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I do partly wonder if "Nemesis" in the Dresdenverse is another name for Lucifer -- it doesn't seem likely but it does seem possible.

I doubt this, considering how Nicodemus talks about it during the "this conversation is a metaphor" conversation back at the aquarium. I'm pretty sure the Denarians are firmly set against the Outsiders, but doing it on their own terms while fighting against the White God.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ConfusedUs posted:

Goddamnit am I going to have to buy the most recent Iron Druid book? I felt #6 was getting better after the awfulness that was #4 and #5, but not good enough to buy another.
I got it as a sort of "last chance" book and have basically concluded that I stand by my remark in one of the earlier Dresden threads that the Iron Druid series would be so much better if it wasn't about the Iron Druid. Literally everything else about the world it takes place in is more interesting than the main character.

The Archdruid's side-story in this book? Good stuff. Granuaile? Still good stuff.

Oberon and Atticus both need to die, though. I'm literally skimming over anything Oberon ever says at this point because it detracts so hard from everything else going on in the book.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Dravs posted:

Thanks for this. Yes, I pretty much agree with all of it, although it was still enjoyable.

One of the things that really bugged me was after Tavi got his furies he had great trouble manifesting any, and grandpa Sextus was like "huh, that's weird". And then nothing was ever mentioned about it ever again. He still never manifested any furies by the end of the book, and as you said, the ability to do this at all seems to have just been conveniently forgotten about after the first book.

Still, it has a happy ending and I love happy endings.

You're forgetting Alera itself, the ultimate fury manifestation. Also, Garados and whatever the other one's name was (though those were accidental/uncontrolled).

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Something about that guy's ban history has me questioning his opinions about good books.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Uriel hasn't been the loving Spymaster of Heaven for thousands of years without slashing throats every now and then while refusing to spill any secrets. It's probably habit by this point.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I'm pretty sure Inez was her own entity, because she's referenced a few times prior to Ghost Story as something people occasionally see wandering the graveyard and I doubt very much that she would be anything other than what she was described as (a very old and powerful little shade that haunts a particular graveyard).

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Word of Jim was that Inez acted as Mab's proxy in Ghost Story and may not have necessarily been a shade in the same sense as Sir Stuart or the other ghosts in the story.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 29, 2014

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I just discovered that Jim Butcher apparently wrote a Spider-man novel called The Darkest Hour.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1416594760/iagonet

Has anybody read it?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
There's an interesting idea: What if Mavra turned the Eebs into Black Court vamps? Would that even work?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Oberon is also the worst sidekick character ever and Atticus is the most boring aspect of the world he lives in.

But, you know, don't let little things like actual complaints of stupid internet humor throughout the books count. The latest book was the best so far, but I still rolled my eyes at the Game of Thrones references.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Get one of the audiobooks on Audible and it will utterly ruin Oberon for you.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Jesus Christ, $200 for loving Sterling Silver?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Logan 5 posted:

More like Thomas' pentacle necklace. I mean come on, its all pristine and not even bent, warped, or scarred in any way.

Also its missing a pentagram shaped ruby held in place with super glue.

Not any more. When Dresden got it back in Cold Days he remarks about how Mab apparently had it fixed.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Scorchy posted:

Finished all the Felix Castor books over a week's vacation and I loved them. I thought the premise was rather tame and I wasn't sure if the stories could anything new with them, but it surprised me with all the moral quandaries and where it went with them. Also loved how Raymond Chandler-esque it was and how the bad guys were just humans with human motivations. Then I got to the end and notice the last book was written in 2009. Did he just give up on writing them?

Did he get his gig as Hellblazer and/or Lucifer writer back? I don't follow comics that much, but they're written by the same guy.

EDIT: He talks about everything he's involved in here back in January 2013: http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/2013/01/mike-carey-i%E2%80%99m-not-fan-way-comics-have-been-ghettoised

The linked article posted:

You’ve also written a fantastic series of novels – the Felix Castor series. Could you extemporise a little on those? The sixth book is due out later this year I believe?

Actually I’m way behind deadline on that one. I wrote something else instead – something that was obsessing me. So Castor 6 will come, but it will be a while.

With the Castor novels, I was trying to do a modern riff on the noir gumshoe approach. I saw them as Raymond Chandler novels if L.A. was London and Marlowe was an exorcist. Certainly Castor has got some of the same DNA as Marlowe. He’s a flawed but mostly likeable man who’s trying to do the right thing in a world that often makes the right thing more or less impossible. He makes his living as an exorcist, but from as early as the first book he starts to have doubts about what he’s doing and to shift his sympathies from the living to the dead. It’s not easy being an exorcist with those sort of scruples.

All of this is against the backdrop of a world where the dead have started to rise in serious numbers. There are ghosts, zombies, even were-creatures, so there’s a big demand for exorcists, and there ‘s money to be made if you know what you’re doing. But the books have got their own take on the supernatural bestiary. There’s an explanation for the existence of these entities, and it’s the same explanation each time. I think that’s what I love about writing Castor – one of the things, anyway. It’s all internally consistent. There’s a big mystery underlying all the little mysteries, and the answer makes sense.

Dude's pretty busy.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 11, 2014

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

LoG posted:

In the last month and a half or so I've binge listened to all of the audio books and just got to Ghost Story. I absolutely love the series but I just can't get into John Glover, it's just not right. I'm so used to James Marsters mannerisms, inflections and accents that Glover's voice is pretty much irritating. I'm almost tempted to skip the it, read the wiki page about the book and start Cold Days. Would this be a bad idea?

The voice change grew on me as the book went on, and he actually does a decent job at the climax of the book.

No matter what, he's still a better narrator than Wil Wheaton (who gets all of John Scalzi's books for some reason, which really bugs me--he was okay for Redshirts given what that book was about, but get someone better for his other books).

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Whalley posted:

He gets Scalzi's books because the two of them are friends, and because - like it or not - Wil Wheaton's kind of "mister internet" and getting him to read your books is a selling point to itself. I know a few people who've bought audiobooks of Scalzi's stuff, just because Wil Wheaton reads them.

How did Wil Wheaton become "mister internet", exactly? His cameos on The Big Bang Theory or something?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Poopy Palpy posted:

Whenever I see Space Nerd Wil Wheaton doing something I figure Chris Hardwick was busy.

Having never watched any of the Star Treks (outside of extremely late night TV when I needed something to bore me to sleep in five minutes), I literally had no idea who he was until getting the audiobooks I'm complaining about and Googling him.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I wonder how Marcone will feel if he ever becomes aware that Dresden has the *real* Shroud of Turin in his possession now.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The current humble book bundle is better.

Would link it, but I'm phone posting.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Definitely more of an Alex Verus thing. There's an entire character dedicated to making custom clothing in that series.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Maybe when Sarissa was all dressed up for Harry's birthday party instead of wearing scrubs?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Jesus Christ, nerd jewelry is expensive.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I'd rather read about Nightingale's adventures in WWII.

EDIT: The audiobooks are nice to listen to, though. That narrator is great.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

OptimusWang posted:

I'm just hoping for a Nightingale in WW2 spinoff. After the scene at the farm in the last book I would love to see a group of the Isaacs open up on the nazis :getin:

The best part about the farm scene was how the witch Nightingale smacked down at the farm was all "That was fuckin' awesome!" in the interrogation room later.

People would probably like the audiobooks a lot better than just reading the novels cold, the narrator does a really good job with the different character voices and helps a lot with spotting the British sarcasm that American readers might miss.