Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

ImpAtom posted:

Dresden is a giant creep for a huge chunk of the series and it's only really tolerable because people call him out on it instead of treating it as laudable.

Which is wonderful every time it happens. :allears: I should ask the goon who was keeping word count how many times "Pig" and "Chauvinist" is thrown around.

Decius posted:

I'm old enough to not give a poo poo what people think about what I'm reading, watching or listening to.

'Sup. Sadly being this old means secret shames to keep company too!

I got to three, three loving books of the sword of truth on the recommendation of a "friend", gently caress the sword of truth books and everything related. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I hit the bit where the "evil sisterhood" all get titty groped in a dream by the "evil emperor" and just went "I'm done!" and flung the book as far as i could.

I was at work at the time, so it hit the breakroom wall. :haw: I have no idea why THAT detail broke me, but it did. Edit: Cutting out the details, it doesn't deserve the attention in any form.

gently caress the Sword of Truth books. That is all.

Great thread title by the way.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 22, 2014

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

ConfusedUs posted:

Hell's Bells is an actual curse used by actual people, by the way. I've an uncle that says it all the time. It's not made up.

... That's actually pretty cool! :haw:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Xtanstic posted:

You know... lost in the whole Ascher business.... During the early stages of the book, I genuinely hoped Harry had made a friend on Nico's team and I was hoping that there's be a multi book arc about Dresden befriending and reforming a warlock and maybe planting the seeds of a Warlocks Anonymous or something.

Id be more then happy with Her surviving, coming back for another go and Butters appealing to her to give up the coin. And she gives it up because of the points being raised in this thread, that Lasciel has been twisting her justifiably sensitive issues, fuelling her hatred of the council and pushing her triggers. Ascher should have had enough sense to realise former-warlock Dresden is not the one you preach at.

More importantly, I'd be nice to have another Nicklehead realise they are being hosed with, her giving up the coin would be the middle finger to the Denerians if anything else.

Good book, i enjoyed it. I'm not getting the same level of vibes as some of you are about Ash, and i've been accused of being overly sensitive (by assholes who in the same breath call me a "vaginal secretion." :jerkbag:) on such topics in the past.

Will agree that as far as motivations go, theres no need for it when your writing fiction and if you do use such topics, Empathise with the topic in question, really, really empathise. No matter what the subject is. But hey, White, Male, all my compass has to go by is my own Empathy.

And now, the agonising wait begins. :smith:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
God i hope so, gently caress the white council and the high horse they rode in on.

I'll gleefully read about it burning and considering our protagonist... :getin:

computer parts posted:

(something which is sadly *quite* common in modern society)

Thats the bit that struck me in a "Well thats a nod towards a depressingly real issue. :smith: " way.

E: VVV I can see that being a thing yeah. Alienating future potentials, causing them to cause an increasing level of instability as the council has to put out the fires their own views cause. The rules of magic are one thing, but "THE ANSWER IS DEATH!" to every crime is certainly a questionable thing.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 30, 2014

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Winter's pragmatism is a heck of alot more justified considering what they face. The Council's kills children because they have the power to save, and have indeed saved, themselves all while breaking rules they never knew existed.

There are better ways, the council are just too blind to see it.

In the Dresdenverse, we know that magic will atrophy if left unused, Charity. Hang the doom over the heads of children if you must, tell them to forsake their powers or face death, but straight up trying to kill them isn't morally ambiguous no matter how you spin it, it's cruelty at best and remorseless murder at worse.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 30, 2014

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Can anyone link to the post that numbered all the Dresden files with the predictions of whats to come?

You know, the "A wizard plot every 2nd book unless..." "A denearian story every 5th..." etc etc. It was a pretty great thing.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Why not both? :getin:

Ones the Pervert, Ones the Newbie and Ones the Russian, They fight Nickleheads!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Mars4523 posted:

If she gets fridged I'm done, though.

Dont think i'd stop reading, but i'd sure as hell be annoyed at it too. Its just so... tacky to do something like that.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Anias posted:

What?

She deserves an exit or a transformation of role. She's not the protagonist and she's outlived her plot archetype by several books. It's not the end of the world if she gets to run off to join the valkyries or what have you.

Perhaps i am mistaken, but "fridged" to me sounds like "Stuffed into a fridge", and that to me means someone being killed off to encourage character growth in others. :smith: I dont want that to happen to Murphy.

As for Murphy taking up/Not taking up a sword. The duties of the sword would remove her as a reliable ally to Dresden. Thats my speculation as to why Butcher hasn't. E: Ill put that behind a spoiler, just to be safe.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 2, 2014

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Another problem is, quite simply: "I need a person to do a thing, hey i know i can use-...oh god damnit i killed him off, now i have to create someone to fill the void."

Theres easier ways to keep characters away. Take what's happening with Thomas and Ivy for example, they have other, possibly much more important poo poo to do then play secondary cast calls to Dresden.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Mr Dresden is not good people, riding around in his headspace is uncomfortable at times.

I am totally on board with it, because that uncomfortable feeling is what (i hope!) the author intended.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Captain Capacitor posted:

Well hey look it's me being my embarrassing goony self at the Seattle signing where I talked about word counts and gave him that art piece.

Ahahah That was great. :allears: He seems genuinely chill as gently caress.

I'd be up for a Elaine spinoff, get to see what she's been upto. She has neat magical tools and i want more of that and whatever fires she has to stomp out while keeping the council from digging too deeply into her past.

Which are the books that she appears in again? Summer Knight and?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Heres a thought, read the short stories set to Molly, Murphy and Thomas's point of view and lets see what it gives us.

Because im absolutely convinced Harry is this goony on purpose, that hes a living example of "You shouldn't act on these thoughts, It'd be bad for everyone involved." Ill put my money where my mouth is and give the three short stories a re-read and come back with my own.

SpookyLizard posted:

maybe in the next book mab sends harry after a bunch of social justice warriors who wont shut the gently caress up

It escalates into MRA's vs SJW face off, the climax is the internet exploding FOREVER, the paranet resorts to carrier pigeons. :magical:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Weird? I'd consider that perfectly fine as a character arc.

He hits adulthood just in time to die horribly! :unsmigghh: Please dont do this Jim. :ohdear:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

wheatpuppy posted:

I wonder if the Mantle carries any residues of its last bearer? Like Lloyd Slate was a sleazoid and that rubs off on Harry some? It would tie in a lttle with the Ladies' mantles and Lily turning into Aurora 2.0. Although it bodes ill for Molly.

Personally im of the inclination that the mantle simply influences you in subtle and fitting ways. Winter makes you logical, Summer makes you passionate. Winter makes you value your own, summer makes you consider everyone. Winter is concerned about the big picture of survival, Summer is concerned about the big picture of "fairness."

Alittle bit of both would make you a well rounded person, but Winter and Summer have their appointed roles so such things could not be. On the other hand, with this idea in mind, our new summer lady might be a very interesting summer lady, considering her tutor and upbringing amongst the fae.

Anyway, to my point. I think Dresden blames the mantle, but the source of it is him and hes becoming more aware of that. I suspect we shall see him come to terms with what the mantle is doing, exaggerating base urges, and if he wants to control it properly, he needs to accept the feelings are his, not the mantle, and that they do not rule him.

I mean, come on, Dresden would have us think Winter is nothing but a court of hungry lone wolves who care nothing for each other and relish in their base hungers. That is not the case. They are pitiless, they are demanding and they are cruelly calculating but they are not above working together for the good of the pack.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I disagree. Mab seems to be a logical, calculating leader. Lea also shows similar traits, but hers are tempered in cruelty.

In Harry, it makes him focused on his needs, logical ones, food, mates, territory, shelter. Its a very base, very ugly thing, and that is the weakness of Winter. It lacks Compassion, it is ugly, brutal and animalistic.

Its also 02:50 and im possibly incoherent from lack of sleep. :unsmith:

E: Flip this on its head, Titania has enormous issues handling her emotions, and it takes eldest gruff calmly explaining it to her in a reasonable fashion to give her perspective. Mab kept herself reasonable by seeking out perspective, even if she didn't entirely understand it, Harry using Logic and numbers to calm the mantle down strikes me as being on the same page.

This is the glaring flaw in Summer and Winter Fae, they cannot see the full picture. Literally.

Thankfully Jim seems to have cleverly avoided turning this into another god-damned story about stoic logic vs uncontrolled emotion, to which i am very grateful. If i have to listen to another Jedi/Vulcan-loving nerd tell me that "emotions are dangerous" and you should learn to "feel nothing", i will beat them over the head with the first book i find on the dangers of emotional repression. :argh:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 30, 2014

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Post-sleep and catching up, ImpAtom, you make a good case. I take away from it that Winter is ruthless, Summer is encompassing and both need to be tempered in reason.

Fun topic to discuss none the less. :haw:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Poopy Palpy posted:

A lot of cool stuff has happened in The Dresden Files, but the climax in Skin Game was the only thing that's topped the climax in Dead Beat for me. I'm basically an 8 year old boy.

I see nothing wrong with this. :colbert:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Libluini posted:

JRPGs taught me ice magic is a mix of water and wind, and fire can be mixed with wind to get thunder. So I guess fire and water would get you thunder storms made of hot steam?

Grandia 1 had a quirky magic system, huh? :haw:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Martello posted:

If this was anyone else I'd figure it was a feeble joke, but since it's you, Benny, I feel the urge to explain that he doesn't wear any kind of hat and every single book cover has been lying to us from the beginning. He makes jokes about it in the books many times.

... poo poo. You just made me realise this. :arghfist::mad:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Tunicate posted:

For example, Vin vs Zeddicus Zu’l Zorander, which is pretty funny.

:allears: oh god this is wonderful. Makes me feel slightly less bitter about reading Sword of Truth.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

anilEhilated posted:

Cannot help it, sword plus flannel shirt would make anyone look like a twat.

I always figured that was part of the humour of Micheal, considering his job and all.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I thought the Mistborn trilogy ended aright. Wonky, but serviceable.

Some of Sandersons other works (Warbreaker, Elantris) end on "So much more to see!" points, which I actually liked. Not so much a cliffhanger because the current plot is put to rest, but highlightning that the mystery is yet unsolved and the world is far bigger then our protagonists imagined.

I assume its a byproduct of 3rd person by perspective storytelling mixing with having the wiggle room for squeals without sacrificing the plot in the process.

SavTargaryen posted:

I'm really, really hoping that in the next Wax and Wayne Mistborn book we get some Atium, and instead of it being them both thinking really hard about not doing anything, we just get someone reflexively putting a couple bullets in the other's chest.

I misread this as them reflexively shooting each other! :gonk:

Serious, ontopic question: Whats the word on the next Dresden files anyway?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I'm pretty sure Sanderson (since we were talking about him earlier) advices that working on something significantly different (Don't write something similar, you'll latch onto that and never go back) when you're feeling low is A Good Idea.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Fried Chicken posted:

This of course begs the discussion of who is Scrappy-Doo

.... Murphy? If this thread is anything to go by? Personally I think Murphy's great and I don't understand y'all at all. :colbert:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Dresden is a strange one. He reaps the consequences yet never learns the lessons. I always wondered if some of the problem with analysing him and the Dresden files as a whole is the fact that we are firmly in Dresden's head-space, and Harry Dresden makes for a poor hero, and is a bad person as a whole.

On the other hand, Butters feels like the kind of person who IS heroic material. He's grown in a number of ways, never entirely loosing who he was in the process but not becoming someone radically different either. I'd love a short story in his head-space to see the comparison between him and Harry.

We've also had time in Molly and Murphy's headspace, and they aren't the same as Dresden. They aren't perfect stories, but by comparison we do see a marked difference in perspectives and opinions.

I just wonder if some of the flaws are deliberate, and others are Jim riding on a perfect excuse that fell into his lap. Maybe I'm giving the man too much credit.

Skippy McPants posted:

Dresden is a paternalistic misogynist and while that's also be deliberate, it is often less than endearing and the books play it was too hard at times.

There's a certain thing that happens between Him and Molly in Cold Days(?) that perfectly, uncomfortably captures this. Brrr. I get that Harry isn't very subtle, the front row seat can be deeply uncomfortable because of that.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 09:21 on May 24, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

awesmoe posted:

Or even stop talking about boring war poo poo in the urban fantasy thread, that's an option too

Oh i dont know, I'd pay to watch a summer disaster movie which can be boiled down to rear end in a top hat WIZARDS vs rear end in a top hat GENERALS.

Dont stop. :allears: But do [timg] your poo poo man, jesus. :gonk:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Wheat Loaf posted:

Did Sanderson say he was going to go in an urban fantasy direction with the next (or a future) instalment of Mistborn? I think I've read that.

Assuming its not changed, It was planned to be a modern setting with a SWAT team that has allomantic powers. They'd get into fights with what you'd expect them to be deployed against.

I... really like the sound of it and hope it will still be a thing.

E: Started reading Rivers of London before getting distracted by Sanderson, pleasantly surprised by this first book so far. I've heard it keeps being good/gets better?

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 10, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Dresden's a good story because power comes with actual costs and consequences have meaning.

It just also happens to be a masculine, with a slight edge of geekyness, power fantasy.

And thats okay. :unsmith:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

:toot:

I gave away my copy of Rivers of London so getting a signed one to replace it is nice. I also told him I really like what he does with magic and technology and his reply was "You're gonna love whats coming next." :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Velius posted:

As a science experiment I decided to look at the descriptions of love interests in a bunch of Urban Fantasy novels and similar fiction to see who is truly the gooniest of them all. What do you all think?

My main takeaway from this is I’ve read too much Urban Fantasy. Especially the bad kind.

I think this post is going in my writing bookmarks as reference material. :haw: