Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Captain Capacitor posted:

I'm going to be meeting Jim next week when he wanders by Seattle, so if you have any pressing questions I'll blatantly ignore them see what I can do.

Ask him if Hades is a distinct entity from Lucifer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nihilarian posted:

The tv show was pretty ok, in a campy sort of way.

Speaking of TV shows I love it that Paul Blackthorne (Harry from the TV show) has a constant role on Arrow because I really liked him in the series even if the rest of the show was kind of weak.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Taran_Wanderer posted:

You lucky dog. I don't even know where I'm going to pick up my copy on the 27th. Curse all my local bookstores going out of business.

Amazon usually has same-day shipping if you preorder it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Korgan posted:

So this just gave me a kickstart, their names are bloody similar and they both have similar job descriptions. Anduriel is the Master of Shadows, an old term for a spymaster. Uriel is Heaven's black ops master and also got called a spymaster by Harry. Uriel means "Light of God." What does Anduriel mean and how closely are they related?

This has probably been discussed but I haven't seen it before. :ohdear:

As far as I can tell Anduriel is just a made up name, I don't know if the "And-" prefix even exists in hebrew.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I dunno, i thought the whole point about the Ascher business was to show how bureaucratically evil the White Council is. I mean they sentence a girl to death for defending herself against sexual assault (something which is sadly *quite* common in modern society) and then they express surprise at how they suddenly have a bunch of sorcerers running around.

It's a theme that's been well established in previous books, sure, but we haven't seen the White Council since Changes which was several *years* ago both in-universe and in real life. It may be an indication that the next book is going to deal with them a lot more too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Oroborus posted:

That was my first thought too but then Harry referenced the fact he was completely broke a few times in Skin Game.

He doesn't really need money since he's a Winter Knight and he has his own place.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Ebeneezer is John Hurt and Mac is the bald Russian mobster from Arrow (who was also apparently one of the observers in Fringe).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Error 404 posted:

For real though, Benedict for Nicodemus.
also, the dude who plays Crowley on Supernatural is basically how I always imagined Binder.

Crowley would make a nice Nic if he was written with more charm.

Actually he wouldn't be a terrible Hades.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xtanstic posted:

So are you assuming The Grail has restorative properties, ala The Last Crusade? Would that fit in-universe when we already have The Shroud of Turin?

Artifacts powered by faith generally have the same properties as what the people believe they do, so it's not out of the question.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ghostbusters is sci-fi.

if it was set 400 years earlier but with the same premise it wouldn't be.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

WindmillSlayer posted:

Why is a different man reading me ghost stories

I like the old person who read me Dresden files better

Help

Pretend that Dresden has a different voice when he's dead. The other guy comes back for the future books.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
You can watch Arrow and get the best parts of the TV show anyway.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ConfusedUs posted:

Have you seen Arrow? Because if they do Dresden with the same quality and care they've done Arrow, I'm on board 100%.

The most controversial thing about Dresden on a new CW type of show is that Harry will probably find himself shirtless unexpectedly quite a few times (also the budget for anything cool wouldn't be there but eh).

And my comment about Arrow above is because of Blackthorne who is awesome! :swoon:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ImpAtom posted:

Uh? What?

Harry reconnects with his daughter, his second daughter is born, a new Knight of the Sword is created, one of the reoccurring series villains is killed, Harry gets access to multiple high-grade magical artifacts of incredible power, Harry and Karrin finally end up together for reals this time and Uriel kills a man in a way which is extremely likely to have long-term consequences.

How can you say it fails to advance the main plot? It literally has the payoff for several major long-running plotlines and sets up several more.

You're talking to someone who in all likelihood wants to see the rest of ASOIAF released as a Wikipedia summary.

"If it doesn't deal with [the ultimate bad evil that you literally only learned about in the last book] then it's not really advancing the plot".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

treeboy posted:

Have we considered the possibility that (changes onward spoilers) The Fallen in Changes who convinces Harry to kill himself is in fact working for the "good guys" (and by good guys i mean the forces arrayed against Nemesis/Outsiders) Obviously we don't know a *ton* about the aims/desires of Hell in Dresdenverse, but as the Outsiders represent Chaos/annihilation/general dissolution of reality, it could be one of those John Milton situations of "better to rule in hell than...cease to exist"

Convincing Harry to off himself may seem counter productive, until one considers it allowed Uriel to convince Harry he could remain himself as he took upon the mantle of Winter and gained a power boost necessary to recover the artifacts in Skin Game.

I thought the last book basically confirmed that it was Lasciel that did that and it was for petty revenge.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Marcone is effectively Stringer Bell or Avon Barksdale from The Wire. They're gentler and more refined than some other counterparts but that's only because you never really see them cornered and you never saw how they built their empire in the first place.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

OptimusWang posted:

Only if we get Paul Blackthorne back as Harry. The rest of the show was poo poo but he was great, especially given what he was working with.

He'd probably be old enough for Ebeneezer by the time the book rights were finalized.

If you want him as a detective on the beat right now though, watch Arrow.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Snipee posted:

Finally read and finished Skin Game. Any hints about the next book yet?

Next book is called Peace Talks, and I think end of next year is the earliest timeframe for its release.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tunicate posted:

Mistborn?

Technically the name of that book is Mistborn: The Final Empire.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ornamented Death posted:

It'll be longer than that most likely as Jim has said he expects each book of the final trilogy to take twice as long as a case file to write, and the amount of time it's been taking him to write a case file has been slowly creeping up. It's more likely that 2030 (or later) is when we'll see the last book published.

A GRRM must always exist.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The only way B&N would be better than Amazon is if they contracted out their slave labor warehouse operation to another company.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mistaya posted:

(that's when he was trying really hard to go 'straight'.)

So he wasn't going after men either. :rimshot:

Actually, is that a thing or does White Court power only work on the opposite sex?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Wheat Loaf posted:

Salt is portrayed as being effective against a lot of supernatural stuff in a few fantasy stories I've read; appropriately for the thread, I believe it nullifies Furies in Codex Alera, though it's been a while since I read that series.

It's a really big thing in Supernatural for the first few seasons (until they graduate to demons).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ImpAtom posted:

It seems sort of weird that Bob would be utterly confident about that then. Like I'd get if he theorized on it but he was basically mocking Harry for even considering the concept.

To be fair, they're basically fallen angels, right? Those guys don't normally reproduce either.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Literally The Worst posted:

Double posting because I'm just wondering; isn't part of Merlins legend that he let himself be locked in the cave? Because I just started rereading Skin Game and the Beitish thing that talks to Harry at the start seems to be there willingly and I could totally see A Wizard loving everything up so badly by existing that he feels like he deserves to be locked away from everyone forever, particularly The Most Wizard

That's a common theory, yes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Wade Wilson posted:

Things are probably out of the bag right now anyway thanks to what the Fomor have been up to after the Red Court fiasco.

Which hasn't really been elaborated anywhere outside of Side Jobs, right? I never read that book and was confused with who these Fomor guys were in Ghost Story.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Thyrork posted:

Serious, ontopic question: Whats the word on the next Dresden files anyway?

Titled "Peace Talks", apparently it's about the supernatural community discussing the fallout of the death of the Red Court ( http://www.reddit.com/r/dresdenfiles/comments/27fyki/peace_talks_butcher_confirms_the_plot/ ), date is TBA right now but I think 2016 is possible.

It was partially delayed because of the new series that he's writing but also because it's been 15 books.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

anilEhilated posted:

Sanderson is basically telling the same story with same cast of characters while changing magic systems, though.

Some of his characters do repeat beats (the main character from Elantris and Way of Kings, for example) but there is a significant degree of easily distinguishable characters.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I wonder if the actual system of chemistry we have today would count as glorified Player's Handbook fluff.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Khizan posted:

The objection is not to him using the prologue to explain Szeth's powers, the objection is to fact that he wrote the equivalent of "Joren the mage hurled a fireball through the door. His fireball was a spell with a range of 400 feet that would explode into a sphere of flame 40 feet in diameter when it reached Joren's target. The guards fired back with crossbows, so Joren raised a wind wall in front of him. A wind wall is a spell with a range of 100 feet that creates a vertical curtain of upward flowing air that is 10 feet long, 5 feet high, and 2 feet thick. The wind wall redirected the arrows..."

While he did do that with the Lashings the stuff about Shardplate and Shardblades are about as exposition-y as your average fantasy story (I literally just re-read it).

Even with the Lashings part if he hadn't said "there are 3 types" I don't think most people would care.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

tentacles posted:

I would pay good money to watch an episode where Fred ritually sacrificed Velma to genocide a sentient race from Scoobyworld (as masterminded by Shaggy)

The live action Scooby Doo movie from like a decade ago more or less did this (except instead of Fred it was Scrappy).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
He gets better about that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

thrawn527 posted:

What's everyone's opinion of the Dresden TV show? I watched the pilot on YouTube and, while I really like Paul Blackthorne...I was not impressed.

I know it only ran one season, but does it get better than the pilot and worth a watch as a mini series?

It's the reason why I started the books. I always picture Morgan as black because of it.

Oh if you want more Blackthorne check out Arrow, he basically plays Harry Dresden as a cop.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 25, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Uriel was mortal when he made his choice. It's been established that mortals van become immortal and not have anything bad happen to them because of their previous free will (most notably Mab).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Of course Uriel is also directly compared to the Blackstaff who explicitly doesn't have to follow the rules so maybe the rules just don't apply to him.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

It's cool but it's pretty close to my "would be better as a poster" rule.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
This is the perfect example of Death of the Author incidentally, where unrelated events give the reader a new interpretation of the story.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Drifter posted:

I got kicked in the head a few months ago and thanks to that I finally understood the psychosexual Japano-Prussian-political Hindu allegory the Berenstein Bears was truly about.

Benny and I should form a book club.

It's not a controversial topic. Do you think this:

took on a different meaning than what the creators intended? If so, that's death of the author.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mars4523 posted:

Huh. Do we just have an innate bias towards geeky manchildren in our urban fantasy?

More that that's the only thing being written for male audiences in that genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LolitaSama posted:

Why no book this year in April/May, isnt that the schedule Butcher has kept for the past few years?

He's starting a new series and that's debuting in September.