Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I am looking for some urban fantasy with smug wizards.

Dresden Files has a protagonist who is very good at being Rude, but I'd prefer less creepy male gaze stuff. And probably more time where the main character is actually having fun instead of moping about how edgy things have gotten. I crave D&D-flavored disregard for the consequences of one's actions.

I liked Angleton in Laundry Files, I liked Nightingale in Rivers of London. They were both extremely smug British wizards, but their role as mentors limited the amount of time they could spend engaging with the plot hands-on. I really liked Max Gladstone's Craft Sequence, it explored some neat ideas and also had likeable characters. I've heard Skullduggery Pleasant might be fun, and I have a copy of that sitting on a shelf somewhere, but I haven't opened it yet.

Any series in particular I might want to consider trying out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

I will give a knight a chance, sure. Thanks! Just grabbed Pax Arcana book 1, and I think there's a decent chance I'll have time to read a few chapters tomorrow.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

biracial bear for uncut posted:

You might like Sandman Slim? Literally nothing challenges him very much and he's an rear end in a top hat, but I don't remember much in the way of male gaze stuff.

I'll take a look. Let's see: The Sandman Slim series is a fantasy/supernatural/occult/noir collection of novels. Each book is narrated by James "Sandman Slim" Stark, a half-human/half-angel magician who returns from Hell to exact revenge on the people who sent him there.

I am a little skeptical that this revenge quest is going to avoid angsty edgelord territory. I also feel that Cool But Rude heroes should absolutely get punked periodically. Seems like it could be a really solid noir story, but that's not exactly the genre I'm aiming for. Those Max Gladstone Craft Sequence books definitely have noir elements, but there's a thread of optimism about the potential to build a better future that I really appreciate. Same with Rivers of London, I get pretty hyped about Peter Grant discovering new stuff and hopefully leaving the world a better place.

EDIT: I tried out reading Pax Arcana book 1, and it's pretty dire so far. Not only does it go fairly hard on the lady-ogling, the author is giving long and tedious tell-not-show worldbuilding dumps. This valkyrie lady makes a terrible first impression, and I agree with wolf guy that the thing I'd most like to do is just ditch the situation. Thankfully, I can do that simply by closing the book.

avoraciopoctules fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 25, 2021

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Deptfordx posted:

You should know there's two DF Rpg's.

There's the original DFRPG.

Then there's Dresden Files Accelerated. Based on FATE accelerated and is as you might grok from the name, supposed to be a simpler faster playing version.

So bear that in mind if you're looking on Drivethru etc.

Can't speak to which is better, as I haven't played them.

I liked the original better, because it let you create some really weird characters. My favorite was the guy who has basically the villain from Silent Hill 4, but way more benevolent. The party made lots of good use of their ghost buddy's nightmare dimension. Kinda felt like Persona edging into the Dresden world.

Still, the fate accelerated engine is way better for faster play.