Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

flosofl posted:

Yeah, there's no heavy lifting from an intellectual standpoint.

I've never listened, but the consensus of the thread seems to be that the audiobook versions are really well done.

I caught up using the audiobooks and they're super-good, to this I will attest. James Marsters, motherfuckers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

Dude has victorious martyr written all over him and it seems very much in line with how Butcher's been writing the series.

~~he died doing the right thing~~

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I am suddenly REALLY needing to finish Who Fears Death to get to The Rook sitting under it :allears:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Exmond posted:

Hah how the hell did I pick up the fourth book. I’ll pick up the first book and see how it goes.

My library/Libby/Overdrive only has the audiobook for that one, probably the same for a lot of places, like Spotify/GPM having mostly the same library.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

The audio books have only made the series better for me. James Marsters is a perfect VA for it.

Yeppppp, same. It's tough to read it not in Marsters' voice.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Oh dang I didn't know Starz was doing a Rook series. Neat. Good.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Achievement Unlocked: We Liked That Version of Mad World, Too
Use a slower, gender-screwed version of a song for your drama trailer

It looks fine, it'll probably be fine. I wonder if this'll be one season and done or if they're going to do Stiletto next.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, maybe I *should* do a full re-read

biracial bear for uncut posted:

A chitinous sussurus of good people that Harry has known since they were in a training bra, Hells Bells and Empty Night.

hmm, on the other hand, maybe...maybe i'll just reread the last couple

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Omi no Kami posted:

Unless I totally mistook who they were supposed to be, since like 70% of the original characters are gone, Myfanwy sleeps with both Gestalt and van Syoc, and Grantchester likes to put women's husbands in superpower-induced fugue states so he can sleep with them in front of their spouse.

hooooooo boy I knew it would be but I didn't know it would be this impressively bad

Has Starz done anything good recently?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

My name is Michael Westen. I used to be a dark apprentice, until-

*extremely Irish Chicago Cop Stereotype voice* ChiCOWgo

Bruce Campbell would be a really good Bob, I'm just saying.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He kept getting banned for copyright violation and had to keep explaining, no, he held the copyrights

Wonderful.

Finished Midnight Hour/Rivers of London today! Good job on that recommendation, y'all 👍

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Necrotizer F posted:

Chicago was further away but probably also a place he was fairly familiar with.

Not the point, I know, but lol

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Reading that excerpt in Marsters' voice, I am Ready.

(christ, Butcher, you could use "their" instead of "his or her")

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Xtanstic posted:

Should I mentally prepare for sadness like with her Broken Earth trilogy or is it more of a fun read?

It's book one of a trilogy, definite sad points but all in all a rollicking good time.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Proteus Jones posted:

My only thought other than Grigori/Nephilim would be Longinus, who was doomed to walk the earth until Judgement Day as penance for piercing the side of Jesus

I never googled what that meant from Evangelion, that's wonderful.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I just got Peace Talks from the library and if Harry doesn't have a TV or an Internet connection, how does he know what a Sharknado is? I hate these stupid books and also I'm three hours into the audiobook already. My partner started reading romance novels recently and hearing her talk about the differences between say, Nora Roberts and Jasmine Guillory is how I'm feeling being in the middle of Rivers of London and Dresden Files.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Gnoman posted:

I think Molly's super-fancy apartment lets him have a working TV along with other conviencences until the Thomas incident, but I'd have to look it up again.

Even so, there's been a few instances where Dresden makes references to things he shouldn't be aware of in the series.

He says he should ask the Svartalf to give him a TV and an Internet connection-thingy since they can give him heat and AC. I'm just poking fun at it, though, I'm still listening! It's just one of those things!

docbeard posted:

My general thoughts after finishing Battle Ground: Definitely better than the mess of poorly-edited exposition of Peace Talks (enough so that I think the two combined and actually edited a little would probably make a top-third-of-the-series novel). I suspect it will not stand up to much poking with sticks, but there's more I liked than disliked.

Finally, having grown up in a devout religious family, Michael losing his temper and swearing up a storm felt very real to me, because it does happen, trust me. (It would have felt weirder if he'd blasphemed; there is a definite perceived difference between dropping an f-bomb and actually taking the Lord's name in vain.)

Now, calm down, Neddly-diddily-diddily-diddily-doodily. They did their best shodaiddily-iddily-iddily-diddily-diddily. Gotta be nice, hostidididildilidilly, AW, HELL-DIDDLY-DING-DONG-CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!! CAN'T YOU MORONS DO ANYTHING RIGHT??!?!?!?!?!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
The Murderbot shorts were free through TOR Books before the novel dropped. They put out some good free stuff once in a while!

https://ebookclub.tor.com/

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Darkrenown posted:

I love bones!

E: This became a weird snipe, but I stand by it.

This is a better post than you think it is.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Finally got the Battle Ground audiobook from the library. this dude really put Aurora south of Chicago and "released a freakin' kraken" inside of like the first five minutes, huh. gonna be a long few dozen hours, I guess!!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Junkenstein posted:

I'm not a fiction audiobook fan, but that's the best way to enjoy Rivers of London imho

Same, but also, James Marsters is Jim Butcher, thems the rules.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Got through Legends & Lattes, man, those were some loooooow stakes that I absolutely stayed up two hours past my bedtime finishing. Read the author's notes that it was a NaNoWriMo and yep, that tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

xsf421 posted:

“Bookshops & Bonedust” is out in early November.

hell yeah. gently caress yeah. going only by that title, gideon and harrow open a dang bookstore together.